Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Going away to college - any tips?

I'm going away to university in a few weeks and will be living/eating on campus for at least two years (minus breaks, of course). Unfortunately, after a bit of sv in January, my emet has gotten really bad; it's devolved into constant paranoia, insane amounts of hand washing, and some interesting obsessive compulsive tendencies. I am not posting here, however, to vent or anything.
    Rather, I want to know if any of you have tips for staying noro-free in college until I can move off-campus? I am really very anxious about getting sick in college - I have heard that freshmen who aren't used to living in such close proximity get all kinds of sick all the time.

The college I will be attending is a fairly small university (student population of 5,800), I will be living in a small 2 bedroom, 1 living room, 1 bathroom suite with 3 unknown people who may or may not be filthy, non-handwashing ingrates (joking, joking... They seem alright. But they still might be unclean), and I will be eating lunch and dinner more or less daily in 1 of 3 dining halls.

I have reason to consider myself at no particular elevated risk of noro - I take a vitamin daily, get 9-11 hours of sleep every night, am obsessively clean, and get a fair amount of exercise all in the name of improving my immunity. Furthermore, on the topic of immunity, I am confidant I've got a demigod-like immune system (or... did before I got noro a few months back and started this new regime which has yet to be proven one way or the other); both of my parents are never sick and haven't v'd for over 30 years. Ignoring my latest run-in with noro, the last time I v'd was about 10 years ago in 3rd grade (although before this indecent, I remember v'ing at least 5 other times in the course of my life, but that was because of my young age and increased exposure in grade school, right?), I typically average 1 cold per year (again due to my exposure in school I think), and I never v more than once per illness if at all.

Wow, that turned out longer than I anticipated. Anyways, do any of you have advice? Anything is appreciated, thanks.

Default Re: Going away to college - any tips?

*incident,
    Sorry, can't edit for some reason.

Hey there!
    Being away at college with emet can either be painful or a breeze. From reading your 'regime', I guess there's not really much else you can do!
    I'm not endorsing obsessive compulsive behaviors, but it seems like what you're doing is working.
    The only advice I'd give is HAND SANITIZER. Always carry it everywhere. It will be something you'll worship.
    Lacey x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't know if this will calm you or not, but when I was living in the dorms in college (and this was over 20 years ago) no one v*ed from anything other than drinking too much. There was a lot of that. As gross as that is, it is not contagious. You'll be around probably the healthiest portion of the population. Outside v from alcohol and drugs, there probably won't be a lot of v. Hopefully, your suitemates will be the studious type and not the party hardy type. *hugs* Good luck and try to enjoy yourself.

Just went through my first year if school, living in a dorm just like yours, with emet. It wasnt nearly as bad as I thought. For sure keep your hands away from your face, wash your hands before eating, and make sure you eat healthy and get plenty of sleep. Nobody I knew this year at my school had any type of SV, and it's especially helpful that you're only sharing a bathroom with three other people instead of a whole dorm. That way you know how well/often it's cleaned and don't have to worry about how many people are using it. Chances are your roomies will not be com

Sorry! Accidentally posted before I was done, but to wrap it up your roommates will most likely not be complete pigs, and if by a small chance they are as long as you keep your space clean and yourself clean/healthy you will be fine!