Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Emetophobia and parenthood

Hi!

I am only 23, not interested in having children anytime soon. I'm just curious about how those with emetophobia cope with it when their children get sick? I know that once children start school, they end up catching loads of bugs! Even though I'm not a parent, when I come into contact with young children I do feel really anxious and I don't want to come across as really insensitive when I don't want them to touch me or be near me!!

So please, reply and let me know how you cope with it

Default Re: Emetophobia and parenthood

I can be tough when they are sick. I would like to say that the motherhood gene kicks in and a person can handle it like a champion, however, I haven't found that to be the case. You do the best you can. Some people do all the cleaning while their spouse takes care of the child. Most people find a way of coping and handling their parenting responsibilities. I have a very hard time sleeping and eating when my kids are sick. I get into bad ocd cleaning mode, but so far, *knock on wood* I have been able to handle it and care for my children when they are sick. My best advise is whatever you do, even if it is hide in your closet crying, do not get a hotel room and leave your spouse to deal with everything. Feeling bad is scary enough for kids anyway, you sure don't want to make it worse by running out on them when they need you. I know others do not agree with me on this, so I'm ready for the on slot.

It's really hard to put your fear in the backseat and your kids first when you're so scared, but that's what I've seen most people here do. It's what I try to do even though I usually do it as a nervous wreak cleaning like there's no tomorrow.

Everything she said! ^^ I find my phobia has gotten worse AND better , in different ways..since having kids. I'm also a single parent, so I have no spouse or partner ( aside from my mom who we live with..) to help me out, much less completely take over for me, when my kids are sick :/ It can be really hard! & sometimes scary..But u do what u can. And cry the whole time if u need to, lol. Kids are awesome, Mine are my whole world. I would do anything & everything for them .
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

Thank you for your replies it's good to know that you have found ways to cope. I don't have kids and nor do I plan to have any in the near future, but one day this may change and I worry that I will pass my phobia on to them by not reacting in the right way if they are sick. Have either of you noticed that your kids have picked up on any of your fears or compulsive behaviours when they are sick?

My emet was at it's worst in my teen years through early twenties. When I had my first child I was 24. My emet was only bad if she was sick then. She didn't get her first sv until she was 2. I was a mess through it, but I did just fine. Since then I have had many, many years where my emet has been almost non-existent. I would take care of them when they had a sv and not freak out at all. I would take all of the precautions, but I didn't get upset. Until last winter when the new noro strain came out...it made my emet come back in a bad way. I now have 3 kids and my baby is a v'er. He has a very sensitive gag reflex and v's for no reason often. I think it is God's way of making me deal with it...lol. But, you can and will deal with it when the time comes. Think of it this way, svs are one of the shortest viruses. Usually they are feeling better by the next day.