Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Best motion sickness prevention tips - for adult and 8 year old - what works for you?

Going to the Smokies, and those roads are torturous! My oldest son also seems to have some trouble with motion too. We will be in the van about 8 hours.

What works for you? I will probably take some Xanax for anxiety, and bonine (dramamine for my son too). Sudafed probably, when my sinuses act up it seems worse. Does Zofran help at all? I would consider asking my doc for some if it might help.

Default Re: Best motion sickness prevention tips - for adult and 8 year old - what works for

Phenergan would help if you need prescription action pills.

Dramamine and Diphenhydramine work well too...

Default Re: Best motion sickness prevention tips - for adult and 8 year old - what works for

Dramamine works very well. The generic CVS brand motion sickness tablets are great too. I use them whenever I go on a long or unpleasant car ride and I never have any symptoms.

I do use Zofran, and Benadryl is supposed to help kids a lot! It helps my niece a ton.

Thanks! I will make sure to have that all on hand, and maybe call the doc about zofran. I think half my battle is being anxious that I will have motion sickness, and that will cause me to feel sick. I think the xanax will be the biggest help for me.

At the store buying Dramamine for my son for our vacation drive tomorrow and I saw something called Motioneaze. All natural oils (lavender, peppermint, frankincense, chamomile, myrrh, ylang ylang and birch). Put a drop behind each ear for N. Anyone know if this would work or any thoughts on it? I bought it and just now put some behind my ears just to make sure it didn't cause problems if I try it tomorrow. Smells good, I guess, and not too strong that it bothers me.

I personally don't trust natural remedy type medicines. I don't know why; probably an anxiety thing. I am very curious to see how it works though!

I live very near the Smokies, and yes, the winding mountain roads are rough . I don't really get motion sickness, but if I feel anxious about it, I take the less drowsy Dramimine. Works every time.
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

Our trip really went great! I do have sea bands for myself and my son, which I think help, and I feel good about putting them on him. I did try a Dramamine for him before we left but he is just starting to swallow pills and these ones dissolve quickly leaving a bad taste, he didn't manage to get it down before it tasted too bad. Sea bands all the way there and while we were there. Benedryl if he seemed to have a touch of motion sickness, and a pull off to do a little hiking in the mountains and get some fresh air. I took Bonine every day and didn't have any issues myself, thankfully!!