Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default why am i bothered about others being ill?

if i feel im getting over emet?
    why do i care whether others get v* or not?
    i obviously don't want them to get it in a 'i dont want anyone to get sick' way, obviously
    not a 'im terrified if they get something i'll v*' way. I seem to just not want others to v* full stop. It makes me somehow anxious. Just that it's happening to them.
    It is almost as if my emet while trying to recover has switched from myself v* to other ppl :S Id rather if anyone out of my close ppl was to v* that it would be me not them(tho i dont want to have to v* obv), because i don't want to get ill obviously but not them neither!

Default Re: why am i bothered about others being ill?

Having been an emet sufferer for 11 years, I am quite well versed in why I am bothered by certain things. Though it sounds like you have made a lot of progress towards your recovery, perhaps it's just a left-over feeling of anxiousness which is quite likely since emet is a hard thing to get over completely. I'm not saying complete recovery is impossible, just that it could take quite a while. Do you feel that this could be the case?

Could be empathy. I get quite upset when others are ill both for the selfish reasons and because I'm genualy concerned for them.

I get more upset when others are sick than when I am. I am constantly worried I won't be able to cope, something terrible will happen to the person, they will have to go to the hospital, etc. For me, I think it's about feeling helpless and out of control. Not that I always need to be in control, but it just feels awful to know the ones you care about are sick and there's not much you can do to make it better.

Yeah I definitely think I care obviously and this is why, maybe there is actually no deeper emet meaning lol. I really don't think it's a control issue for me.