Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Monday colonoscopy

My appointment for my colonoscopy and endoscopy is Monday morning. I'm so nervous over the prep I gotta do this weekend. Everyone keeps telling me people do get sick from it and it is scaring me. I tried to restrict my diet to soft and liquid foods yesterday but got really hungry and made a sandwich. Today I had coffee, jello, tapioca pudding and green tea. I'm trying to do this so hopefully things will be easier to pass.

I'm so nervous I'm gonna be in the bathroom with it coming out both ends. I know the D will be from the prep. But D causes me anxiety and nausea which sends me into an emet cycle. A friend of mine told me to take a zofran before I start. But I don't know if that will help. I'm such a crazy bat.

Advice please if you've gone through this.

Default Re: Monday colonoscopy

Hey,

I haven't experienced this but my mum has to have a colonoscopy every couple of years because bowel cancer runs in our family (so if she ever gets it, I will have to have the procedure too!) I can tell you what happens when my mum goes in for one. For 24 hours before, they tend to ask her only to drink fluids, no food, and to take laxatives to clear her bowel which obviously causes D* but it happens very quickly after taking the laxatives so you know exactly what it is and that there is not coincidence that you might be ill. When she goes in to have the procedure, she is sedated so she's relaxed - partially to ensure that her muscles are relaxed to make the procedure easier. She has told me that it feels a bit uncomfortable during and after (which makes a lot of sense to me, I can't imagine it being comfortable lol). Then when she comes out she's quite sleepy from the sedatives but once that wears off, all she wants to do it eat lol. I have never known her to V* or even feel N* as a result. However, what I would advise you to do is to talk to whoever you see on monday and explain your phobia/worries and there might be something extra they can do for you to make you as comfortable as possible. Good Luck x

Well what I've heard is what makes people sick is drinking so much liquid. And I've heard that you typically get sick half way through the prep. Which makes my anxiety worse because if you can't stomach it half way then how can you complete it. I know miralax doesn't taste bad so I'm not worried about that. Just about getting sick with it and D just gives me anxiety. But I do know that it's the medicine causing D so that takes a little load off.

My hubby just had a colonoscopy a couple months back and he didn't have any trouble with the prep, other than the non-stop going. I was freaking out of course but he didn't v or even feel sick. I think there are different kinds of prep, but the one he had required him to drink an 8oz glass of stuff every 10 minutes. He said he was starting to feel quite full around the hour mark but then it kicked in and started coming out the other end (sorry-so gross!) then the full feeling went away. He did real well after the procedure the next day, too. Came home and slept for a bit then played in a golf tourney (??!!?).
    I also talked to several co-workers who'd either had one or had experiences with spouses and everyone of them said there was no v for them. Unfortunately, it seems we hear the horror stories more than the good ones so I wanted to tell you some of the positive ones.
    I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you-let us know how you are!
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I have a family history of Colon and Bowl Cancer. Everyone in my family have to have Colonoscopies every year or so. My Mother, Granfather and Uncle (Who actually had the cancer) have been for theirs, and they didn't have much trouble either. As soon as they had the laxative, they went within a few minutes. Me, my cousins and my brother are supposed to start having us when we are middle aged, which is almost thirty years away, so I can't give you first hand feedback, but that was theirs. Hopefully they won't have to stick cameras up bottoms and lax people in thirty years.
    Hope this helped!
    Lacey x

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My advice would be to drink the prep slowly...forget what they say about doing it in a certain amount of time. I had one and thankfully didn't have to drink much prep, but I just did it very slowly with some plain juice and then juice with the prep in it. As long as you are empty, you don't even have to finish it all. Yes, some feel sick with the large amount in a short time. Just take it slow. As far as the procedure, it's nothing after prepping for it. And you can even ask for some anti emetic in your IV if you feel more comfortable with it. I have an upper GI next Friday...not thrilled but you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck!!

I just had both done a couple months ago, so I will tell you how my prep went. I got the miralax prep bc its less liquid to drink. The only people I know that have gotten sick or felt sick was bc they drank so much liquid. I took 2 duculex pills and started the drink. I mixed it with blue Gatorade. You have to drink so much in a certain time frame. I added lots of ice and only poured myself the amount I needed to drink every 15 mins. Before I knew it, I was done! I couldn't believe how easy it went down. No taste and I drank it with plenty of time to spare. However, nothing happened...I finished the drink around 730pm and stayed up until 1130 waiting until I would have to run to the bathroom...nothing...I got up in the morning and had to be at the hospital by 730am...still nothing. I told the nurse and she said well you have to go so they gave me an enema...that did the trick! I only went 5 times before I was considered cleaned out. It wasn't uncomfortable at all. I just got the urge to go and it literally came out like water....it was the weirdest feeling. I never cramped or felt sick. The worse part was the nurse had to check the stool before I could flush to see how cleaned out I was. When it finally came time, I asked for anti nausea meds, which they gave me no problem. I went to sleep, woke up and that was that. I had a little bit of a sore throat but that was it. I ate slowely at first, took a nap and then ate a little more before going to bed for the night. Once I woke up in the am I was back to eating normally again with no after effects. You will do great! Just relax and enjoy the nap from getting knocked out...hugs! any other questions, just let me know!

Thanks for the replies.
    I do know we hear more horror stories than the good ones. And being emet just makes those stories even worse. They are giving 4-6 hours to finish the liquid. I'll drink what I can handle, which really isn't much. My reflux gets in my way with drinking liquids. It's like my esophagus just stays open all the time.

Sarahcox that is another thing that worries me. My system is so sluggish I worry I won't be cleaned out.

Ugh... This is a nightmare. I hope I can do this.

You can do it! It may even provide some answers for you and lead to proper treatment. For me, emet is not nearly as bad if I don't actually feel n, you know? I did the magnesium citrate prep in May for severe constipation (per my GI doc's instructions), and it wasn't fun, but I made it-- no v or anything even close. I did take a few Zofran over a couple of days (that's how long it took to "clean things out" for me), but mostly just to ease emet-related anxiety. I was pissed that I wasn't getting a colonoscopy after going through the prep, kinda. It is so worth it-- my best fiend passed away from colon cancer, so I am a big believer. You'll do great
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

OMG jennit. How old was your friend. An old friend of mine, well her grandma got diagnosed with it and not more than a week later she passed. My aunt had breast cancer and had it removed. Well 20 years later she was in severe pain. She assumed it was her sciatic nerve. But after being down for 2 months she finally went to the doctor and found out she had bone cancer. I guess when you have it, it can migrate to other places. She passed 4 days after they discovered it.

I'm gonna try my best tomorrow. I'm so nervous about the prep. And I'm gonna be mad if they say its just IBS. I do have the rotated bowel. It's grose. Ther is a large hard spot on my left side. I never knew what it was. Found out its my colon. Nice. I've been poking and pushing on it for years because it sticks out.

So... How was it?! Hopefully you are sleeping soundly by now and you got some answers! I felt so bad after posting about my friend. I didn't mean to worry you at all. I am just very PRO colonoscopy since she passed (at 41). I feel like it could have saved her life! I just would hate to see our stinking fear get in the way of a possibly life-saving test . Hope I didn't freak you out& that it went well!!
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

No jennjt, you didnt scare me. My emet scares me more than and condition out there. My prep went fine I didn't get sick. I felt sick once but it was my anxiety. I went about 10-12 times but I knew I wasn't cleaned out. I woke up this morning and went 4 more times. I showed up and told them that. But they were overbooked and wasn't worried about it. Well it was my worst nightmare. They hooked me up and wheeled me back. The doctor kept asking if I was sleepy and I kept telling him no. They sprayed my throat with some numbing stuff and asked if I was sleepy. I said no. He wasn't giving the medication time to affect me. He put a ring in my mouth and strapped it to my head. Tilted my head back and proceeded to shove the scope down. It wasn't that bad till it reached my stomach. I began to retch my body was wanting to V that tube out so bad. He kept moving it up and down I guess I to my intestines. I felt sick and it hurt so bad. Finally it was over but we still had the other end. He turned the bed around and asked if I was sleepy yet and I said no he told me he couldn't give me anymore. So he started the colonoscopy. I had so many questions. I saw big red veins, I saw skin colored bumps that looked like small polyps to me, I had green stains on my skin. Lots of dark areas. I think I fell asleep right at the end. I was in the recovery area and was barely alert. I only remember him saying ok and I was asleep again. I woke up and was trying so hard to force myself awake to talk to the nurse because the doctor was gone. I have gastritis, and these weird white spots on my esophagus and what looked like pus floating in my stomach acid. The nurse said, I swear "God made you with an extra long colon." WTF??? So I didn't have a malrotated bowel like I was told before. It's just that my colon is so long it has a lot of twists and turns and overlaps itself, which was why it looked malrotated. And because its so long it doesn't function properly. It has little to no motility. So that's why I couldn't clean out because of an obstruction. I see him in two weeks. I hope he can have better bedside manners. It's weird too because for years I felt and saw this big lump on my left side. And that's where the big turn is. It's like having 2 colons on the right side. So pretty much if I was normal I'd have a 6' colon, but since I'm not its probably 10-12'.

I know this is an old thread, but I was on here looking up colonoscopy prep, as I'm supposed to start one in about--oh, an hour and a half!-- and I found this one . What's funny is that I was responding to this thread back then, in July, and now that I'm about to start this, I am scared to death!! I was saying how important it is to get the test, etc, and I'm afraid I might chicken out!!

Update-- for past FORTY-SIX days!!, I have been having horrible diarrhea. Like, literally, more than 12 times a day. I have seen drs, naturopaths, GI, etc, as I have lost a lot if weight through all of this (20 lbs since summer & I really didn't need to lose any :/). Have been managing so far on 6-8 Lomotil a day, LOTS of fluids, applesauce, yogurt, etc. They were thinking bacteria, parasite, all kinds of stuff... Now have to be tested for Crohn's, other inflammatory bowel diseases, etc. I did AMAZING for about 6 weeks when I eliminated all wheat from my diet and started eating healthy, more organic foods. THEN, we went to the beach in August, and "shit hit the fan," literally. So...

I'm trying to practice what I preach & do this thing, but as you all know... The V thing is TERRIFYING me. Like, I feel paralyzed & crazy. I'm prescribed 8 mg Zofran as well as Phenergan (25 mg?). Prep is Suclear. I am f r e a k i n g o u t. Help!

Good thing is-- it's at 6:30 in the morning. No time to think (worry!) too much before I go. AND I don't have to go too long without food (get so nauseous and shaky when blood sugar gets low!).

Sorry I don't know if I'm too late posting. I'm sorry to hear about your issue. That would freak me out so bad. For me I had both ends done at the same time. It was a horrible experience. Most don't go through what I did. But I have a high tolerance against medication. So even though they gave me maximum dose for sedation I was not asleep for any of it. And since they gave me so much it made me feel horrible. I went through both scopes wide awake and didn't fall asleep till after the procedures were done. I was a total mess. The prep was a breeze. I was scared at first but nothing other than living on the toilet and I messed myself a couple times because I thought it was gas.

I'm sure you'll be fine. And I hope everything turns out ok. I don't know what they gave me for sedation but it made me miserable even with the zofran. Just either don't eat or eat extremely light after. My dumb butt was still out of it and went to Starbucks and had a big iced coffee and tried to eat 2 muffins. That was a bad decision. I just wanted to wake up.

Had IES friend just have one recently (colonscopy). She was scared of the prep so she missed her appt. She finally did it the second time and rocked it. She did not v and wondered why she had been so nervous.

Good luck you can do this. HUGS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....