Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I think I have labyrinthitis

I think I have labyrinthitis

Today when I got out of bed, the room felt like it was tipping. When I got in the shower, the room was spinning. When I tipped my head upside down to mousse my hair (!) I felt like I was going to fall over when I came back up again. Just now I had to lie down as I felt the room was spinning. Now I feel like I'm on a boat and I'm rocking from side to side. My head and right ear feels heavy. I've got vertigo, I can barely walk in a straight line, and I find myself rocking from side to side either stood or sat down.

I know it's hot here in Britain but I haven't been out in the sun that much and I've been staying hydrated, so I genuinely don't think it's anything to do with the heat, though the heat isn't helping.

Does this sound like labyrinthitis? I feel a bit n* but only from the dizziness, it's not in my stomach. My appetite is fine.

I'm very scared as these sensations are things I haven't feel before (except when I've been drunk!).

Anyone got any advice or experience in this area please? I really am very frightened it's something serious. I did have a cold a couple of weeks ago so it could be linked.

Default Re: I think I have labyrinthitis

I have had labyrinthitis and it was horrible, sorry to say. Mine came on after having a regular cold...I just got sooo dizzy and felt nauseous, lost 6 pounds, and the doc said that's what it was. I took meclizine, which made me very tired...and very SLOOOOOWWWWLLLLYYY, I improved. It took a good month to feel back to normal. Get checked by a doc because there are different kinds of vestibular disorders. Good luck!

I'm going to a walk-in centre at the hospital now. It has improved over the last few hours, but I just feel off-balance like I've come off a fairground ride. I've never experienced this sensation before so I'm a bit scared. Do you think it is labyrinthitis? I'm freaking out that it's something more serious. The pressure in my head won't go away.

Instead of speculating on what it might be, you said you're going to a walk in centre so you'll probably find out soon enough what it actually is I'm sure they will give you something helpful. Let us know how it went

It is indeed labyrinthitis... She checked my ears and did that thing where I had to follow her finger. I feel better knowing what it is but at the same time the vertigo is making me feel pretty sickly. She's prescribed travel sickness tablets. Apparently it can go on for weeks!!!

I've had labrynthitis since 1980 . I go for long periods with absolutely no problems......but then it can come out of nowhere. Dramamine is good for it.....I also have a prescription for antivert (meclizine).....you will be relieved to know that they are both an anti-emetic. over the years I've found that even though I may not feel "stuffed up" in my sinuses and i'm dizzy..that using a nasal spray when I feel dizzy helps ALOT and very quickly...so you might want to think about keeping one handy ......the first time I had an episode it did take me several weeks before I felt completely better.......so don't get frustrated if you feel this way for a while.....it will go away.....dr told me a lot of rest is helpful also.hope you feel better soon
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aw thanks so much for the tips! I was really stressing out I was having some sort of stroke or brain haemorrhage! Sounds silly but the dizziness and vertigo have been that bad. I just tried to walk down my hallway and bashed into the wall and the bannister twice! It's quite scary, I'm worried I'm going to injure myself. Yeah the doctor said rest up and take travel sickness tablets. Interestingly it's been clinically proven that the condition can make anxiety worse by itself - well I'm prone to anxiety what with my emet, so I've got no chance! I really hope this doesn't go on for long, it's a very frustrating thing and I've only had it a day! Can it make you feel quite unwell? I feel better in myself than earlier but I don't feel right x

Yes, it can make you feel miserable. I was very n* for a while, couldn't eat properly at all, and yes, my anxiety was through the roof!! I just kept thinking that I cannot live like this. Just take it easy, rest when you have to, eat small snacks and keep drinking to get enough fluid. It WILL get better but it takes a lot of time. Hug to you!!