Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Needing advice for a long (20hr) bus trip?

In September I will be going on a trip to the snow, which from my location takes about 20 hours by bus. It is a school trip, so I will be travelling with about 100 other 16-17 year olds, using 2 or 3 buses.

I myself do not get motion sick, but I am worried about the other people because I know that many of them do get bus sick. What should I do?? I've been panicking about this trip since I signed up for it, and I would have definitely backed out by now if my parents hadn't already paid!

What should I do? I know that chances are people will be sick, but I just don't know what to do! Does anyone have any advice?

Default Re: Needing advice for a long (20hr) bus trip?

I wonder if it is any comfort to you that if others are sick, it'll be from the bus ride and not illness? Also, I recommend that you take some music with earphones if you are worried about hearing it, I would also bring hand sanitizer and perhaps some perfume so you could spray yourself discreetly so that you're less likely to smell it.

Hmm I hadn't thought about the perfume.. that's a great idea!

The ones who get car sick will probably bring medication for it as that would spoil their trip as well. Actually, I think everyone will be chatting and excited on the way there and asleep on the way back. Sounds like a lot of fun!

I personally would be cautious about spraying perfume, strong smells like that can make me N, so if someone has MS it could make it worse. I bet Vicks rub or the sinus stick (looks like chapstick container) would cover any possible smell with a minty smell that might not bother anyone. Just smell it or put a little under your nose where you could smell it. Maybe sit in the front so you don't have to see anyone? Is there anyone you are comfortable with, that understands your emet, that could sit with you to help?

I do have one other good friend with emet who is going on the trip, however she is one of the people who gets motion sick (having travelled overseas with her, I witnessed this firsthand... and don't really want to do so again), so chances are I won't be sitting near her and she understands this.

I like the idea of that Vicks stick - I think I'll definitely have to invest in one of those! If my memory serves correct, it should definitely cover up any unpleasant odour if I smell it often enough.

So the trip is coming up in just a few days now! I'm starting to get quite excited about it, but am still dreading the bus trip. I have however, stockpiled a variety of travel sickness medication (Kwells and Travacalm), and ginger sweets to share with others, and use myself should the need arise. I have also bought a Vicks stick, and my goodness, it will certainly do the trick! Thanks again for all your tips - I am much less nervous now, than I was before.

Yay, I am sure you will have fun!
    SAHM to S (9), T (7), and E (2) - they make it all worth it!

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

An idea would be to load up your phone/ipod with lot's of music/tv shows and stick some earpods in and block out the outside world.
    Though 20 hours, I can't imagine a bus trip that long, the 45 minute trip to college is enough for me hahah, I hope you will be okay, and have fun on your school trip