Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Does anyone know how this feels?

I'm sometimes a little embarrassed to admit some of the ways my emetophobia affects me. I'm 23 and I'm quite dependant on my mum. She's a nurse which usually makes me trust her judgement on my health more. Also, every time I have ever been sick (that I remember) she's always been there with me. So now even though I've grown up, the idea of it happening when she's not there is quite terrifying. It really annoys me because I really don't wanna have to rely on her like this. It makes me feel quite childish. If she's ever away away for a few days I find that my anxiety is worse, not simply because she's gone but because I feel like her not being there has jinxed things and I will be sick. It doesn't bother me at all if she's just not in during the day, it's at night when my anxiety spikes. I wonder if anyone else has similar experiences to this? Might make me feel a bit less pathetic lol...

Default Re: Does anyone know how this feels?

Well I can understand btu am the opposite, don't like it when people are anywhere near me if I feel ill.

It's not really if I feel ill, although it would probably be the same if I did, it's more when I'm just panicking about it, even if rationally, I know I'm not ill.

I am also the opposite, I can't have anyone near me if I am anxious or panicing. If your mother was always there for you when you were ill growing up it's not surprising you feel you need her around when anxious. I wouldn't consider it "childish" at all it's just something you are used to. It's very difficult to think rationally when panicing anyway so don't be so hard on yourself. Do you feel dependent on her in other ways or is it just emet related? We probably all have some sort of dependencies when we are anxious, although it's a bit different, when I lived with my family I HAD to be in my own room if I was anxious. Even if the house was empty, no other room would do, I couldn't calm down anywhere else.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

I just turned 24 and still live with my mom She works while i take care of my two kids and lil bro. So we are a team. I have tried living on my own multiple times. and I always end up coming back home to mama. I used to have terrible anxiety when I was away from her (or alone, in general). It has gotten alot better over the last few yrs. But IF I am ever feeling sick, I still feel like I need my mom. U are def not alone!
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

I see loads of people saying they have to be alone when they feel sick/anxious, and I am not one of those people. In fact, being alone makes me feel worse! My boyfriend got sick a few days ago, and I was relying on my mom for company, until she got sick this morning. I'd almost like to be one of those who prefer to be alone in times like this - it seems like it would be a lot less to deal with. It isn't childish, don't worry.

P.S., my mom is training to be a nurse, so I know how you feel.

I'm 22 and i rely on my mum alot too, my mums not a nurse and i don't live with her, but whenever i feel n* or anxious she's the first person who i call or text, or when i think somethings up with me i ask her what she thinks is wrong with me and 9 times out of 10 she's always right! i don't know what i'd do without my mum either
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hmm, I'm one of those people that doesn't mind if I am alone or not whenever I am s* or anxious, although I do prefer to have someone with me (my Mum preferably, as she ALWAYS reassures me and helps me calm down).
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

YES! I know exactly how you feel! I am 20 and live with my mom still..and in the next year or so I will be moving with my soon-to-be husband...and I am so nervous! He is the navy..so when he leaves for deployment...I am going to be petrified...a new place with nobody I know... :'( So you are NOT alone.

Thank you all for your replies. You've made me feel much better about it! It's just the emetophobia that causes me to rely on her, when I'm not panicking I'm fine with her not being around! It just feels weird because I have a fiance and he's brilliant with this stuff but sometimes if my panicking crosses a line from barely manageable to freaking out that's when I need to check if my mum thinks I'm ill or not..! I do worry about when I will move out because it's got to happen one day! I just hope I can get rid of this by then.