Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thumbs down Phobias and Sleep - any tips?

In a previous post, I mentioned that my boyfriend had been sick around me this morning, and he went home pretty promptly and I disinfected the house a few times. I had pretty severe anxiety all day, laughing and crying at the same time, not even knowing which emotion was correct. This is still happening, and it is downright scary. I hadn't eaten all day until about an hour and a half ago - i had a half of a piece of lasagna and a half a quart of water. I took probiotics and an immune boosting pill. I'm positively exhausted, but my fear is keeping me awake. I have really bad separation anxiety, so it's killing me to be alone tonight. I really don't want to fall asleep until around 3-4AM, but I don't know if I can make it that long. I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night and be sick, either! Not sure what to do. Any and all posts are very, very helpful.

Default Re: Phobias and Sleep - any tips?

I've also had a lump in my throat for the past couple of hours and my tummy burns...freaked out again.

Take a nice warm shower, play some music and just relax (harder than it sounds, I know). This is what I do when I'm stressed or feeling sick, and believe me, warm showers work wonders!

Prop a few pillows up on your bed so that your upper body is elevated a bit (this decreases indigestion), and play some soothing music if you have any.

It might be more comforting to sleep with your bedroom light or lamp on too.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Try to stay away from greasy foods if you're ever thinking you're sick! Whenever I get an inkling of a feeling that I'm gonna not feel well, I eat my safe foods (saltines, pretzel sticks, and carbonated mineral water). I hope you felt better today!

Thanks guys, didn't see this until just now.

Unfortunately, my situation has gotten worse. I posted about it probably 20 minutes ago. I don't think I could sleep no matter how hard I tried now.

Hi Miranda, sorry you're going through this right now.

About two months ago, I started having horrid nighttime n*. It lasted forever, I was sleep deprived and I just started at my new (really presitgious) job and couldn't miss any work. It was HORRIBLE. I finally went to the hospital after sleeping only one to two hours a night and they diagnosed me with GERD. They perscribed me with Zofran for the n* and another medication for the GERD, neither helped. I am still suffering from nighttime n* unfortunately. However, I have found certain tricks that help me. I don't eat anything 4 hours before "bed", so that there isn't any food just sitting in my stomach. I also only eat pretzels and soups so nothing in my body can be upset.

Additionally, out of fear than I have PND or something similiar, I have started taking sinus medication which causes drowsiness. That way I'm asleep before I can even think about feeling n* or s*

Good luck! I hope you get better. my days have been very challenging as well.