Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default First post** Anxiety*

This is my first post yaaay Ive had emetaphobia for almost 7 years & the anxiety is just horrible.These past few years have been hell for me. I just finished school but I been homeschooled since my freshman year because this girl v in class & I sat right next to her I literally got up & went home I was so terrified then I tried going back to school my senior year but after a week I had a really bad stomach ache & never went back & got homeschooled. I am now 18 & i haven't v since i was 12 I want to start college but once I get nauseous or hear anything about v I just never want to go out of the house again & I'm afraid if I do start college ill mess up & not go. I do not socialize with people or my friends as much anymore because I'm scared ill catch a virus or when I do socialize I'm so quiet about things & i distance myself from everyone sometimes I wish I just had someone that feels the exact same way because no one in my family seems to understand. Once I get episodes I tell myself I'm never eating or going out again my anxiety is just horrible till i take Promethazine/zofran. Are there any remedies i can do to help the anxiety?! I miss my social life but now I'm starting to dislike going outside everyday. I just wish if would stop.
    (っ◞‸◟c)

Default Re: First post** Anxiety*

Welcome to the site....So sorry to hear of your struggles
    Have you thought about talking to your dr about either some anxiety meds or therapy to help bet the anxiety under control? There is no reason why you shouldn't pursue your college education and it would be awful to let emet win in that respect.
    Hard as it sounds, I've found that part of the battle with the anxiety is when we allow ourselves to sit and obsess about it. The more we keep ourselves busy (work, school, hobbies, etc) the less time we have to spend focusing on getting sick. I know what you mean-I go through times where all I want to do is hide in my room with the covers over my head but that's when I force myself to do something more than go to work and come home, like go to the gym or meet a friend for a drink. It helps a lot to shake up your routine, even if its something as small as downloading a couple of favorite songs and listening to them while taking the dog for a walk or going for a quick run. Start small-meet a friend and go to Starbucks, a movie.....something to show yourself that you can do it and that there is so much more to life than what emet leads us to believe sometimes!
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

Default Re: First post** Anxiety*

Jmoore is completly right.. Do not let emet win!! You deserve to experience how amazing and fun college is. Therapy is probably your best bet along with anti anxiety meds. It might take a while to find the right meds but it helps with the obsessive thoughts. And this website also does.. Ive had this phobia my entire life (im 25) and havent v* since I was 12.. Anytime i feel anxious about V* I come on the site and its comforting to know that people know how I feel.. Seems silly to others but to us it is terrifying. I hope you consider your possibilities!