Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation SCARED to take antibiotic!!!!

Hi everyone,

Recently went to the dr for many swollen lymph nodes in my neck that have not gone down for months. Got some blood drawn & did a urinalysis test that came out positive for a UTI. They prescribed me Bactrim DS to take twice a day for 7 days. I'm freaking out! I've read the worst horror stories with this specific antibiotic all over the internet. From severe allergic reactions to bad N* & V*. Many people also get fevers from it & I'm afraid they'll think the fever is from something else when it's really from the antibiotic. Scary thing is, most people get these symptoms after the 3-4th day of taking it. I don't know what to tell my doctor to switch me to a new one if I haven't even tried it.

Anyone ever take Bactrim DS & was okay with it? It's a HUGE pill & I'm literally having the worst anxiety about putting it in my body.

Default Re: SCARED to take antibiotic!!!!

I would suggest taking it as a UTI can get nasty if left un-treated. Bactrim does comes with a long list of side effects however not everyone gets them, actually you usually find that 1 in 10 only get ill of antibiotics.

You're going to be fine as long as you take the Bactrim with a meal. My uubby just finished a 3 day course of Bactrim and never experiences one side effect.

Thanks for the replies! I switched antibiotics to macrobid because I was too scared to take a sulfur antibiotic (entire family is allergic to sulfur). Still hate taking any kind of meds & have bad anxiety before swallowing them. Besides anti-emetics. Go figure.

A few weeks back I had to take 2 different antibiotics for a tooth infection. Amoxillon, & Flagyl. I was worried about taking them because I`d heard of people getting sick on large doses. I was fine apart from some d*, so I should think you will be too.

I was prescribed this for a uti also and freaked out as I had read the same reviews about it. I simply asked my doctor to switch it to another antibiotic and he put me on septra ds and I was fine!

I cannot take Bactrim due to an allergy to sulfanomides (I get a nasty rash) but I have taken almost every other antibiotic for treatment of chronic UTI. I have found that Amoxicillin makes me the least n* (barely any n* at all) and Macrobid makes me the most n*.
    I have to pick up some Macrobid tomorrow and will be experiencing a lot of n* in the next couple of days. I am nervous but I need to remember that as long as I eat I should be OK.

I took this antibiotic and like you did my research on it... I took it anyway and I ended up with the worst possible side effects. Ask for a different antibiotic.. Bactrim is the WORST.