Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Advice for Amusement Parks

Hi, guys. I'm going to be going to an amusement park later this summer with my stepmom, my sister, and her girlfriend. I have ridiculously bad emetophobia(even just hearing/reading words associated with it gives me pretty bad anxiety). With my phobia, I'm not worried about getting sick myself at all, only other people. All three people going tend to get sick very easily(even just on cars), but love roller coasters. I love them too, but I'm panicking about the fact that one of them almost certainly get sick sometime in the trip.

I've explained my phobia to my stepmother, and I plan to tell my sister, but I have a feeling they won't take it very seriously. I'm half considering staying home, but I really really love rides, just not other people getting sick on them.

I'm thinking I'll aim to sit toward the front of the roller coasters and wear a hoodie with the hood up. Any other ideas or advice?

Default Re: Advice for Amusement Parks

Since I have experienced dizziness and n* on roller coaster rides for years, I almost never ride even the gentlest ones. therefore I spend a lot of time watching other people ride and I have almost never seen anyone get sick from one. Instead of a hoodie, you may want to bring a raincoat instead so you can just hose it off if "it" actually happens. However, it may not. Knowing they get motion sick, they may all take medication for it before going to the amusement park which is what I would encourage them to do. Also, don't ride right after eating. Most people I have heard of getting sick from a ride had recently eaten a large meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace47 View Post
    Since I have experienced dizziness and n* on roller coaster rides for years, I almost never ride even the gentlest ones. therefore I spend a lot of time watching other people ride and I have almost never seen anyone get sick from one. Instead of a hoodie, you may want to bring a raincoat instead so you can just hose it off if "it" actually happens. However, it may not. Knowing they get motion sick, they may all take medication for it before going to the amusement park which is what I would encourage them to do. Also, don't ride right after eating. Most people I have heard of getting sick from a ride had recently eaten a large meal.
    Thanks for the response. A raincoat would be good if it looks like it might rain(otherwise I'll feel really silly in a raincoat in broad daylight, haha). I can always wear an old hoody that I can just throw away if anything bad does happen, or wear one of those jackets similar to a parka.
    I think they were planning to take dramimine but I'm not sure how effective it'll be. I'll definitely avoid riding with them right after eating though.

My hubby's brothers have actually v*ed on a ride and that was right after a meal and the ride broke so they were stuck on a tilt a whirl for close to an hour which would probably make almost anyone sick. However, most people are there to have fun and v is not fun, so they are very careful not to do the things that might make them v.