Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Pregnant and suicidal

I am at the lowest point of my life. 31 weeks pregnant. Was a huge leap of faith to get pregnant as I am a lifelong emetophobe. I suffered severe nausea for the first 23 weeks but somehow got through it, with a battery of anti emetics and valium, which I am still on.

Anyway, have felt so anxious and depressed the entire time. Had sporadic help from community mental health but they don't really understand the nature of emetophobia.

Felt I was just about holding it together until the last few weeks when nausea returned and niggling pain under right rib and in right shoulder. Had an ultrasound and diagnosed with a single 10mm gallstone. I am now in a complete and constant state of anxiety, waiting for a gallstone attack, which I know can make you violently sick for hours. Also looking ahead to having gallbladder removed and SO depressed by the awful stories of living without one, ie constant nausea/vomiting, horrendous diarreah, bile acid overload. I would rather be dead than live a life with those side effects.

I'm not eating, sleeping or leaving the house. My consultant OB wants me to go in to hospital and be monitored while they start me on sertraline (Zoloft). I am terrified of taking this too, because of nausea side effects.

Have any fellow Emets had gallstone OP and survived?! What we outcome? Did you feel horrendous for weeks/months afterwards?

I feel at total breakdown. Can't stop thinking about ending it all. I cry every day for my unborn baby. no ideahow

Default Re: Pregnant and suicidal

It sucks to feel this way. I mean, I'm a guy so never been pregnant, but I can imagine what you are going through with your gallbladder, the nausea, etc. I want you to think about it like this....you made it through 23 weeks of nausea. Right? That took great courage on your part and you were very strong. You WILL make it through this too. And I think you'll make a great mother. I mean, you got pregnant although you are emet. That took a huge leap of faith and a huge desire to have a child. You really want this child and you are going to be great. Hang in there. I know it's easy for me to say being on this end, but you WILL get through it. I promise you will.

I had a friend who had her gall removed and never got sick again. You'll have to monitor your diet but if you do that, you should be okay. I think people usually suffer post-removal by eating the wrong foods.
    Last edited by ewilkins; 07-23-2013 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Add more

I had several gallstones about 20 years ago. AfterI had my gallbladder outt,I did have some d but the nausea and pain were gone instantly. I never did v the whole time with stones or after removall. You will be .ok. My husband also had stones and had his removed and never v, just some d after, but not for weeks even. Just take it easy on the fat intake at first. I have been fine in twenty years, and he has been fine in 11 years. If you need it, go into the hospital for help. They can help ease your symptoms. This can be common in pregnancy.I didn't even have anti emetics after. i

I took Zoloft for years and never experienced side effects.
    ☮ ♥ emma

Thanks so much for your support, really means a lot. Ewilkins - I know I've come so far already, just seems cruel to be faced with this right at the end when I'm trying to rest before the birth instead of worrying myself sick.

TryingToBeBrave - I've always been a healthy eater, so I don't think I'll have to change things too radically after OP, but I'll miss eating chocolate. Can you drink alcohol? Also was your OP done laposcopary or open surgery? It seems people who've had the OP done recently seem to have more problems than those who had it done a while back.

Anyway, just praying that when I do have a bad attack it's not too close to when I give birth. I've started low/no fat diet since I found out about my stone. What did you do to ease the pain when it came?

Thanks also EmmaLou. I may try and start the Zoloft this weekend. I need to do something, as I am so depressed and anxious.

I had my gallbladder out in march 2012. I had lots of gas the first 2 days. Then I just couldn't eat lettuce or realy greasy foods for a couple months. Now I can eat whatever I want besides iceberg lettuce. I felt so muh better once the gallbladder was out! Don't worry.

Also looking ahead to having gallbladder removed and SO depressed by the awful stories of living without one, ie constant nausea/vomiting, horrendous diarreah, bile acid overload. I would rather be dead than live a life with those side effects.

I'm not eating, sleeping or leaving the house. My consultant OB wants me to go in to hospital and be monitored while they start me on sertraline (Zoloft). I am terrified of taking this too, because of nausea side effects.
    My Mom has had her gallbladder out for quite some time and I just asked her, and she said she NEVER experienced those side effects after having it removed. And she said very few people do.

As for the Zoloft, I would go for it. If they think it's a good idea, do it. I am on Zoloft 75mg, and yes there were some nausea side effects, I'm not going to lie. But if they want to monitor you in the hospital, they can give you Zofran. It might help you feel better.
    M I D N I G H T

I had my gall bladder out in 1999.....never got sick once.....actually got rid of a lot of the n I was feeling on a regular basis. the surgery was quick and easy....was home in 4 hours congrats on making it through pregnancy......which i'm pretty sure is harder than a gallbladder attack. try not to worry too much about the whole gallbladder thing and enjoy your last days of pregnancy..........
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi there, so sorry you are suffering so much, you are a strong person and have come so far - you musn't give up now! I don't know much about Gallblader/stones, but highly recommend Zoloft - go on it - now! You do not need to be suffering like this, Zoloft will help and could change your life for the better. I am on Zoloft 100mg and it's a lifesaver. Never had nausea or v*. Please take it and don't delay - it can only help you feel better I hope you feel much better soon, take care

I've been on zoloft for years with no side effects. I would go for it, especially if you're` going to be monitored in the hospital. Congratulations on your upcoming arrival!

Another reassurance for sertraline (the one I take has no brand name). I've been on 100mg a day for several years after being diagnosed with severe clinical depression, and I've not once experienced any digestive upset because of it. I hope you start feeling stronger soon xx

It is not about you anymore, there is a life inside you. You need to think about the baby and get the best care for you and your baby. If you are thinking about killing yourself while you are pregnant, you need to be in the hospital so you cannot harm yourself or the baby. Fear of vomiting is not worth giving up your life or harming your baby. Please get help. HUGS

PS Not eating when preg can make your blood sugar go haywire and give you morn sickness. It can harm both you and the baby too. You need plenty of calories to support both of you. EAT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Hi. I took Zoloft while pregnant with my daughter, now 15, and then celexa with my son, now 11. I HAD to, there was no choice. And thankfully everything was fine and they are fine. Don't worry about the n* with Zoloft...most don't feel any. You can take it with food in the am. Also, if you have a gall stone, they have much easier ways to remove it. It's called lithotripsy, which basically means they crush it into fine sand...not sure if you need to have the gall bladder out automatically when you get a stone.
    Please hang in there...I was very depressed and anxious when I was pregnant, because I felt n* the first three months and just couldn't handle it. Thank God for Phenergan!! Please try to take care of yourself and your baby. Try to eat whatever you are able to. Are you married, or is the dad in the picture?? How about your parents or siblings? You need as much support as possible at this time. Let us all know how you are doing...when you see that beautiful little baby, you will realize it was alllll worth it. HUGS!

oh honey please try to relax and take care of youraelf. my little girl who is 11 is on 125mg of zoloft everyday and has not had any side effects and it has helped her regain her life back. please consider taking it. i will keep you and your little one in my prayers. please let people help you....your not alone! GOD Bless you!