Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Really needing some hope right now

I have had emet for 9 years now since I was a teen. My emet comes with anxiety and panic attacks and I am now on medication as I produce too much acid due to my axiety. I have tried hypnotherapy and councelling which didnt work and several CBT therapies which do work while I have my therapy but as soon as I am left to do it away from the support of a therapist I relapse. I feel so low at the moment. I am a young woman who feels so so lost. I dont know what to do any more. I want to be able to live my life like I see others living theres; not in fear and enjoying life. I just need to know that emet can be over come. That one day i can be normal and live a normal fulfilled life Any advice? Any stories of people overcoming emet?

Default Re: Really needing some hope right now

I don't consider myself cured. I still have big time problems with it but what helps me cope on a daily basis is remembering the human body only vomits for good reason. Its a defense mechanism. I just try to give my body no reason to do it! Haha. I was at a restaurant last night and a 10-12 year old boy gpt choked and got sick on the table. I didn't freak out, I just picked up the baby and left. Granted, I will probably never sit anywhere in that area again. I'm actually in nursing school. Learning about the body and why it does what it does has also helped me greatly. I am off 100% of all my anxiety meds now.

Default Re: Really needing some hope right now

I got emet when I was about eight years old maybe, today I'm 26 and consider myself pretty much cured. Yesterday I drank a glass of milk that was a week and a half past the expiration date without a problem. It smelled and tasted alright so I figured what the hell.

Anyway just wanted to say that there is hope, you can get over it. Just keep the CBT up and you'll get there. Expose your fear and it will eventually be nonexistent (at least almost). Maybe there is someone else who can support you when your therapist isn't around? A friend or a family member maybe?

And don't get caught up with the fact that everyone else seem fearless or happy because it's not true. Everyone is afraid and nobody is really happy all the time.