Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question If there ever was a noro vaccine, how would we manage to get the vaccination?

Hey guys! I just had this random thought and I'm really curious about your views on it.
    I see so many posts on here regarding noro vaccines and how badly we all want it. But like, when you get vaccinated for something you actually get injected with whatever it is you're getting a vaccination for, right? (Correct me if I'm wrong here but that's correct as far as I know)
    So shouldn't that mean that getting injected with the noro vaccine would potientally make you vomit and actually have noro before your body builds up a resistance?

Would you guys actually have the courage to get the vaccination if it came, if you knew it could give you noro?
    I can't say for sure that I would have the balls to haha.. I mean it's never certain that you'll feel any side effects on a vaccination but there's always a risk.
    What are your thoughts on this?

Default Re: If there ever was a noro vaccine, how would we manage to get the vaccination?

That's interesting, i always hoped there would be a vaccine, but i never knew they inject you with it
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: If there ever was a noro vaccine, how would we manage to get the vaccination?

From what i gather it's not an injection, also I would not want it.

That's interesting. I can't imagine what form a vaccine could be in if not an injection! I guess it would still be the virus that you're taking into your body, regardless of the form its in.

They inject a dead (not sure if thats the correct term) version of the virus into your bloodstream. The idea being that you build up the resistance to it, but the virus dosn't multiply or spread so you don't get the symptoms. Would be pretty pointless to just give you the live virus!
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Quote Originally Posted by jptk View Post
    They inject a dead (not sure if thats the correct term) version of the virus into your bloodstream. The idea being that you build up the resistance to it, but the virus dosn't multiply or spread so you don't get the symptoms. Would be pretty pointless to just give you the live virus!
    Oh okay :-) But I know for sure that you can feel symptoms of the disease you're getting a vaccination for after the vaccination, so that's why I wondered.

Quote Originally Posted by chixy View Post
    Oh okay :-) But I know for sure that you can feel symptoms of the disease you're getting a vaccination for after the vaccination, so that's why I wondered.
    Yeah it is possible alright, I don't really understand why that is seen as it's a dead virus... I probably won't get the vaccine when it becomes available unless it is proven there is no risk.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

2 things: Getting a virus can really only happen if you're getting the type of vaccine made from what they call in the industry "live attenuated (ie weakened) virus. This vaccine is made from a virus like particle proprietary VLP technology which may make vaccination more possible for stuff that was traditionally difficult to create vaccines for like norovirus and (more significantly from a non emet point of view) Dengue Fever which causes many mosquito related illnesses in the developing and 3rd world in tropical climates. Second, I heard there are two versions, an inhaled mist (nasty but better than vomiting for sure) and a normal injection, where the mist is further along in clinical trials than the shot. That's what I have heard. In either case, I'd say if you got noro right after the vaccine it was not really norovirus or you were already infected before you got the vaccine, or before it could take effect, same as the flu vaccine now (except the flu mist which IS live attenuated, that's why it's not used for people with weaker immune systems).

Yes! I definitely would. I think the chance of v from it would be remote. Besides, I've never v*ed from any other shot. My daughter has v*ed from a shot once, but she was also super worked up about it and super tense when she got it. I think the v was from stress more than anything else and it was just once. I would think the most common reaction as with any shot would be some pain at the injection site and maybe a slight fever. I'm willing to risk that for a v free year.

I would for sure get the vaccine. If it reduces my chances of vomiting by 80% (or whatever the statistic is that makes a vaccine legit) then I am all over it. The mental relief that would come would be so...freeing.

A noro vaccine would be like a dream come true! If you get a vaccine you're never going to get the full-blown symptoms of whatever your getting vaccinated for (unless you're MAJORLY sensitive, or have allergies or underlying health problems) because then what's even the point? Sometimes you feel crappy for a couple days because your body is building up immunity to whatever they put in you, but it's not like you're actually going to "catch" that or whatever. I mean, if you get immunized for hepatitis or something, you're not actually going to contract that disease...

I agree with you guys and I've given this some thought since I made the thread and I think risking getting noro once is worth being "immune" afterward. I kind of suspect I'm immune to the calicivirus (the vinter vomiting disease virus) so I hope they can come up with a vaccine that would give you immunity to all kinds of stomach viruses.

The Roto vax for infants is a liquid they swallow, could be in that form, especially if they need to make your digestive tract immune.

I could kill for a noro vaccine though probably not if it's an injection, I hate needles nearly as much as v*ing lol

I don't get vaccines unless they've been out for a long time (a decade or more) or I need them. I'm not against vaccines at all, I just want to make sure things have been tested before they go into my body! I have also found that after vaccines I'm very tired and sore at the injection site. As such I most likely won't get the noro vaccine when it comes out. My father will because he's a firefighter and they pretty much have to get every vaccine to protect themselves and their families.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

You may find these links helpful!

Click the words "norovirus vaccine" in the box "Tags for this thread" at the bottom of the page.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

I'd take a nasal vaccine... I really really really really really hate needles, but not enough to be considered phobic. They send a shock through my arm that I really hate.

If the vaccine can be IV and not IM, I'd take it. I'd be sure to swallow 50mg of Promethazine that day hahaha.

Question though... Norovirus can't infect if it doesn't come in contact with the gastric system, can it? If this is true, then the virus should have no negative outlooks.