Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default ok im confused - are all sv*s noro?

I was under the impression noro severity was on more of a spectrum and all sv*s were most likely noro, because theyre less likely to be another of those viruses such as roto(sP?)

But people make out like noro is something far worse than 'normal' sv*s...but I believe that's untrue, just depends how much of the noro you get and how your body reacts to it, we probably know better being emets than normals who seem to think it's something totally different.

I was of the impression that v* illness was caused by either fp* or sv* (aka noro or one of the similar ones) and the fp could also be food infected with noro!?

Answers?!

Default Re: ok im confused - are all sv*s noro?

No. There's diff types of viruses. But the Norovirus is the 'worst' one because of how bad it can affect ppl, I think. And the rotavirus usually hits kids under the age of 6.
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

There are loads of viruses, bacteria and protozoa that can cause Stomach illness (Gastroenteritis). Norovirus is the most common as it spreads like wildfire but it is NOT the worst stomach illness to have. Norovirus causes vomiting, diarreah and flu like symptoms, that last about 2 days and then most people (99%) make a full recovery. Compare that to Campylobacter which they say 10% of people may have temporary kidney failure and it causes 5 days of vomiting and diarreah. Campylobacter is the second most common food related complaint.

The norovirus is probably the worst one to people like us because it is mostly unavoidable. It is simply so virulent that it wracks a city within days. However, once everyone conquers the current strain, they are immune for a few months to it or any others like it. Once somebody in your family has it, you probably have it too. That is what's so scary about it; the last time I had it, I'm glad I'm the one who had it first. I had no warning, thus no time to worry about it before I spent hours kneeling before the porcelain god. However, my family knew I had it, and my mother was a nurse and knew the symptoms of a norovirus. So she knew they all were carrying it too...Lo and behold, they all came down with it, some more fortunate than others. Even my father, who usually seems to have a superpowered immune system, fell to it and v* eventually.

What's worse is, if I wasn't the first one to bring it home, I would have been in constant fear of getting it. And rightly so...once it spreads within a community, it is quite hard to avoid.

going slightly OT now:noro does spread easily but you arent gauranteed to get it if its already in your house, in November last year before noro season had really started off here, my dad had it and no one else in the house got it, just basic hygiene like regular hand washing, etc can really make a big difference

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1989 View Post
    going slightly OT now:noro does spread easily but you arent gauranteed to get it if its already in your house, in November last year before noro season had really started off here, my dad had it and no one else in the house got it, just basic hygiene like regular hand washing, etc can really make a big difference
    I'm not going to go into detail about how noro spreads because it is just too terrifying. Regular hand washing doesn't mean dick if you're in contact with a true norovirus. It will find you, and it will make you v*. It doesn't cause any real physical damage, but that is why it is so prevalent. It gets into a human host, then spreads via their v*, amongst other bodily fluids. Then it goes dormant for a while. You aren't "completely" guaranteed to get it, but if you're like me, you're petrified at the chance of getting it. Isn't that what emet is all about?

Norovirus isn't the most serious, but as the others said, it is most common... which can be terrifying to think of when looking at the statistics.

Potential anxiety inducing comment. (Highlight to see)
    Norovirus infects people via Fecal-Oral route. You can only catch the Norovirus from another human by ingesting their fecal matter or vomitus. Reason why these infections spread so rapidly is because persons lack proper hygiene when sick.

This Norovirus is probably the ultimate bane of us emet sufferers. This virus will reproduce in its host and then make it expel it via v*. I have read a lot of literature about how the norovirus rewires the nerves to stimulate the v* reflex. This virus is very, VERY good at making us v* to spread them to others