Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Needing Some Help - PLEASE!

Hi everyone,

I started seeing a therapist to progress down this road toward recovery and wanted some opinions. Here's the thing - I honestly don't know what is wrong with me! When I come onto this site and read other people's post I don't feel like I 'fit'. I fear norovirus, just like everyone here, but my fear is COMPLETELY wrapped up in my boys catching it. I don't fear it at all. I could care less if I get sick. I know that I can handle it and it's a minor inconvenience. I don't worry about food prep, random stomach feelings, etc. it's TOTALLY about them getting a stomach virus.

My youngest gets carsick which makes me anxious. I hate to see him v*. When he does I have panic attacks mainly because I'm fearful that he has a bug. I clean it up and deal with it but the whole time I am pacing wondering if I've cleaned up the germs enough, etc. because someone else might catch it.

Last March BOTH boys came down with it and I was 100% relaxed during the whole episode because I knew that it was done and over with and that there was nobody else (except my husband and I who I don't worry about) to get it. Now, I do get fearful with the hubby is sick because I get scared that he's going to spread the germs, but I don't obsess about it.

With the boys it's not really the v* I'm scared of, it's the constant cleaning up and the 'waiting' once they say that their stomachs hurt. Just today my oldest complained about his tummy and my anxiety shot straight up.

All of that to say, my therapist says that it's OCD. Does that seem accurate? I never even considered OCD and always thought I had emetophobia (though truth be told, I've only had this fear since my youngest, who's 4 was born, prior to that I could care less about sickness stuff, I'd clean it up and move on with my day).

I guess I'm just scared that I won't get 'fixed' if I am misdiagnosed. Any thoughts would be SO appreciated! Thanks!!!

Default Re: Needing Some Help - PLEASE!

P.S. Her treatment plan for me is Lexapro and CBT. I go on Friday for my 2nd appointment. Honestly, I REALLY like her a lot and feel that she's good at what she does. She specializes in fears, phobias and anxiety. I guess I just need encouragement that I'm not wasting my time and money and that I can overcome this hurtle!