Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Taking my kids to the fair this afternoon - to ride rides

How do I do this!?!? I took them last year, bought several tickets, got to ride several rides. I plan on buying them a wristband today to ride as much as they want. I am so afraid it will make one or both sick. Wish I was going with someone who could handle it with me. I haven't even thought of taking them to an amusement park (they are 7 & almost 9) and I feel like I am robbing them of a normal childhood experience. I am not riding anything, and I have the excuse of an 18 month old to keep with me. I don't even know if my boys like rides, they don't know either, have never done it. And my oldest can tend toward motion sickness at times. And, last but not least, is the fact that we will be walking around the ride area of the fair, maybe I need to have some xanax handy.

Default Re: Taking my kids to the fair this afternoon - to ride rides

I took my daughter to the fair every day last week (6 days) and she rode rides, ate food, went to the concerts and shows, and we walked around the rides and game areas. Neither of us got sick. I did make sure to make her wash her hands and put hand sanitizer on before eating though. At the concerts it was wall to wall people (not fun for me lol) and she played in the sand that everyone walks in and stands in. We do it every year and we have never caught a bug. I won't lie; it did cause me some anxiety, but it turned out fine and she had a great time! Hope this helps to reassure you a little!
    Everyone needs someone who understands!

Good for you for being brave and doing this! As my therapist keeps reminding me, the worse case scenario is that someone gets sick. If it happens it's NOT THE END OF THE WORLD and more importantly, YOU CAN HANDLE IT!!!! The anxiety is WAAAAAAAAAY worse than the actual event. Have a great time and keep reminding yourself that the 'worse case scenario isn't really a big deal. (((HUGS)))

My kids are in 4-H and we spent most of the week at the fair. None of us got sick. Have fun! I'm sure you're kids will have a great time on the rides.

I am not so concerned with SV but V from the rides in this particular scenario. I guess it isn't an issue, my oldest won't go on anything because he is afraid he will get dizzy or feel sick from riding. They went on the train ride with the baby, the big slide multiple times, and the carousel because I made them. My oldest (almost 9) said the carousel made him dizzy. My younger son did ride the helicopter that went up and down and in circles. I feel like a bad mom, he might like these things if I encouraged them or rode with him. Oh well, demolition derby tonight, we will all enjoy that (except for the baby, yay for babysitter!).

Who says these rides have to be a part of a childhood? Not everyone likes them or enjoys them. I get sick of roller coasters fanatics thinking every should be like them..

Off my soapbox now.

Went to fair yesterday too. We did not ride any rides since one of my children special needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

True, but I never liked rides and it seemed to make me feel left out when I was a teenager, I don't want my kids to feel that way. And i don'twant any of my kids that might like it to not get to experience it. We have an amusement park nearby and it is often a field trip in high schools. I can't change it if he really doesn't like it but it makes me sad for him to be afraid of something he has never tried. He is getting to big for the kid rides which ease you into the bigger ones,a natural progression.

And I think a lot of them avoiding this is me in the past trying to keep them from possibly feeling sick because of my fears.

I've never went to a theme park or fair growing up because we couldn't afford it and I never felt like I missed out- i've been to one since when I was 15/16 and it wasn't an experience I really want to do again!

I had fun at the amusement parks when I was growing up even though I couldn't ride the rides because they made me sick. There's lots of fun things to do at amusement parks and the fair that don't include riding rides. He may grow out of getting sick from the rides and quite enjoy them later on in life.

Your son sounds a lot like my little brother in regards to rides. He'll go on some but is definitely more timid on them than most 15 year old boys
    We were recently at a boardwalk whilst on vacation he wanted to go on the scrambler so I went with him and then I wanted to go on the big log flume and my aunt made him go too. He LOVES the scrambler but was freaking out onthe flume screaming "I'm gonna f**cling kill you" most of the way up...oh siblingly love
    Anyway different people have different tastes, I've always been the wild child with rides I rode roller coasters at age 3. I think it's just personal preference