Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default just saw someone vomit

It was unbelievably unexpected.
    i was waiting for the tube on an underground platform, and just the second the door opened this guy leaned out and puked out a fountain of bright reddish vomit. it happened so quickly that all i could do was blink then quickly dart off in the opposite diresction as fast and far as i could without actually running. I was mortified, thank god i wasn't standing by the door waiting to go aboard that train! but i could of done so easily if it were my train... what are the chances of that?!
    Well, if you want to live a normal life not confined to your own home, i suppose you got to take these risks...so i finally seen someone vomit for the first time.
    disturbing, yes. End of the world, no...

Default Re: just saw someone vomit

Glad you were able to see it wasn't the end of the world! : ) That's a huge step - seriously! Nice job!

That's really good u kept so calm i would of ran and screamed and started panicking
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Awesome work! I'm so glad you were able to see that it's not the end of the world! I wish more emets could see that

Ewww! people are so disgusting! I hope that he was thrown off the train!

Oh my gosh, grow up. It was meant to be a kind of positive 'I survived' kind of post, I think, and that kind of post is so counterproductive.

I have almost been sick on a train, if I had've been, it makes me really sad to think that someone would have me kicked off when I was feeling so terrible >_<

Sorry OP, congrats again for handling it so well

Quote Originally Posted by catherine73 View Post
    Is this not why many emets fear vomiting in public because of this sort of a reaction they may get from people? If this kind of a reaction comes from an emet then what sort of a chance do we have of convincing emets that if they do happen to vomit in public that people will not think they are disgusting, but be more concerned about them?!

Yes, vomiting is disgusting, but it is also a natural part of life. Just because someone vomits it does not make them disgusting. I know it was in public, but even so. No one wants to vomit in front of people, I am sure most would want to do it at home or in a toilet at least, but sometimes it just happens, it can't be stopped. Which was probably the case for this man. At least he thought to do it outside of the train rather than in the actual carriage with all those people in it. Personally, I think that would have been a lot worse.

To the OP, well done for acting so calmly and realising that it was not the end of the World, in what I can only imagine to be a frightening situation. I for one would have had a panic attack, ran out of the station and refused to go back onto the platform. You handled it like a champ! I am leaning towards the guy being drunk or hungover as that tends to be the only time the vomit is bright red in colour. I could be wrong though.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

Pretty poor comment. I doubt they planned it.

Well done to the OP.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Well done OP, yeah, that kind of behavior is unnecessary for that person to have been kicked off the train. It's not like he vandalized something, he was ill, not his fault. These things happen sometimes unfortunately.

Good job for handling this so well. I think that while it was disturbing that it happened, I would have gone about my day, but unfortunately for me, I think I would have seen that replay in my head for a while

Crap happens, right? We would want understanding and even possibly comfort if something that awful had happened to us, so we can't get mad and judge others for something out of their control. Poor dude! Well done, mighty!

Well done for handling it so well! As a fellow Londoner out of curiosity which tube line/station was it? You were pretty unlucky to see that I have to say as *touch* wood I have travelled around London by tube, train and bus thousands of times over - including late at night with drunkards - over the last 6 years and have not seen it happen.

The only thing I feel (as well as the natural panic) when I see someone v* in a public place is sympathy. I feel sorry they are a) going through the process of being sick and b) doing it in a place they would undoutedly rather not. They always seem to cope better with it than I ever would too. I always feel bad that I can't help them, like asking if they're OK and giving them water if I have it, because I get too scared.

V*ing isn't the same as going to the toilet - natural, everyday motions which we learn to control from a young age and therefore do not do in public. It is actually a reflex that for the vast majority of people, is not controllable. V*ing usually happens, similar to d*, when someone is ill and as such it is not a normal, everyday process that we can control. I remember having bad food poisoning in Greece and the d* was so bad I decided it was best to camp out all night on the toilet with a pile of magazines to read, as at one point I nearly didn't make it 10 feet from the bed to the en suite bathroom! If I'd have been in public I dread to think of the accident I'd have had! I was ill and when it's that bad, you can't control it with all the willpower in the world. The poor chap on the tube had clearly been struggling to wait for the next stop and clearly did well to make it that far.

I hope Catherine73 was not serious, on this forum, with that reply??

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzia View Post
    Well done for handling it so well! As a fellow Londoner out of curiosity which tube line/station was it? You were pretty unlucky to see that I have to say as *touch* wood I have travelled around London by tube, train and bus thousands of times over - including late at night with drunkards - over the last 6 years and have not seen it happen.
    Hope I'm quoting correctly? never done so in the past...
    any ways, really? you've never seen someone vomit on a Friday or Saturday night on a packed carriage full of drunks or on the platform? These are the times i hate to travel the most, because i have seen it more then once unfortunately, but i do it very often still, because even though i know i might panic, i refuse to let it control my life. Sometimes when i board a train on a Friday or Saturday night, i move carriages up to six times in fear of someone in my carriage being sick, but that's stupid because of course, drunk people will be found on every carriage at those hours of those days! its difficult to rationalize this though, as any emetophobe would know...
    it was in Euston, funnily enough, my "cursed" station. Because i have "seen" (I've always turned my eyes before that happened) people vomit in Euston more then in an other station, the count is about 4 times now.

And you're right, it is totally natural, but i manage to avoid it since drinking a whole bottle of cheap rose on top of cheap red win in the summer of '11. (needless to say, haven't drunk rose since). Yesterday though i felt horrific. i wonder if that was a psychological reaction to the tube incident? i tell you, it replayed in my mind quite a bit since Tuesday! If i was like any normal person i think i would have vomited, but i developed an extraordinary talent to stopping myself from doing it. i hope i haven't jinxed myself now by saying this!

thanks for your comment!

Quote Originally Posted by greasydago View Post
    I hope Catherine73 was not serious, on this forum, with that reply??
    You'd hope not, but I think she is. >_<
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't think he should have been chastised for vomiting, and we don't know what caused his illness, but it is likely that he knew he was sick. (didn't do it in the train; waited for it to stop)

I don't know. We shouldn't smite Catherine for her comment. I would have thought it was disgusting and I would have been mad at him for doing it. Maybe it is emeto speaking, but still.

Congratulations to the OP for keeping your cool with that situation. I would have ran awkwardly.

No one is 'smiting' her. I'm just so over this mentality that people who vomit are bad people. I feel anger if someone is ill, but I don't voice it and certainly not in such an immature and harsh way. It's not people's fault that they get sick.

But there isn't really anything we can do for others with that mindset...

No, but I feel like they should keep it to themselves, it makes others here even more anxious to here stuff like that said in such a way.

mightypuss - yeah I'm not sure how I've managed to avoid any drunken late night incidents (although I have seen v* on train station platforms - but no one actually doing the deed). I'm usually extra vigilant on late night journeys although I'm sometimes a little drunk myself which takes me off guard a bit.

I'm going to Euston tomorrow evening in fact, but to catch a train at 9pm ish so not too late. I don't usually go through there at all but I shall have my wits about me!

Iv`e had people be angry with me for vting when I was very young, & I don`t think they were being childish for being upset, I agreed with them. I`m just glad that they only yelled at me instead of hitting me or throwing me out of the house!

Iv`e had people be angry with me for vting when I was very young, & I don`t think they were being childish for being upset, I agreed with them. I`m just glad that they only yelled at me instead of hitting me or throwing me out of the house!
    oh, hairyfairy, how you've been missed....

i have no words for this
    if you really think you should hit someone for puking, i feel really sorry for you, and hope you get help.
    Last edited by JadeNight; 08-09-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Whose hairy fairy? Anyway, people are taking what I`m saying out of context. I never said anyone should be hit for vting, Just that Iv`e known people in the past who would do that!

I know people who would do that too. Actually, a close friend and a family member would do that, but I think my fear kinda rubbed off on her.

I think it's awful to chastise someone who v* in that situation. Try to remember all the times you felt n* and it turned out to be nothing but your anxiety making you feel so bad. With our phobia, it's so hard to know when you're actually s* and when you're just freaking out until right before it happens. In other words, that could have easily been you on the tube.

As the OP said, "These are the times i hate to travel the most, because i have seen it more then once unfortunately, but i do it very often still, because even though i know i might panic, i refuse to let it control my life."

We have to challenge ourselves to go out and live our lives despite our fears that it may be the 1% chance that we are actually s* and are still going out. I know it can be quite unpleasant, and even if we run away from someone who is s* we should still hold compassion for them in our minds. Also, in the past, there have been a couple times where I have left the house feeling fine only to get s* later on in the day. It's also possible to feel off and be fine, and we can't keep letting our fear of getting s* in public (or s* in general) affect our lives in this way. (Of course, when we are confident that we are actually s*, we should stay home.) I've been on a bus several times n* and even got off a couple times because I was not sure if I was going to make it, and since my anxiety would go away and nothing happened I felt foolish for getting off. That attitude about getting thrown off the train only feeds the fire of anxiety that I feel when I happen to feel sort of q* on a bus, and I hope most people wouldn't react that way if one day in the future that I ended up exactly like that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeNight View Post
    oh, hairyfairy, how you've been missed.....
    I am glad I am not the only one who suspected that Catherine73 was hairy fairy.

MissPink, I did too. Michelle and I have been discussing it the last few days

Delerium, well said, the attitude that people should be punished or chastised for vomiting only makes people more anxious about how people will perceive them if they do happen to be sick.

If that were me in your shoes... I would have held my breath and then walked very fast to get away! If nobody was watching I would've ran.

Good job realizing its not the end of the world though. It's funny I'm saying that because if I saw that... I would've acted like it was the end of the world!

I know this is really late but congrats, mightypuss! I also had to experience hearing and seeing my sister v* due to travel s* on the coach not too long ago. Wasn't very nice for my poor sister and I! But hey, I didn't panic as much as I thought I would have!
    Virtue - "You don't need a reason to help people"

Congratulations Mightpuss! You did great! I'm sure the man was actually getting off the train if that's where he v*ed. I feel sorry for all the people getting on and off who had to step in it. I also feel sorry for the ill man.

Public transportation in the US is a little different than other places. In the US, most people drive cars and unless it's commuter time, the folks on the bus are the poorest including the homeless, drug addicted, gang members, etc. IE some of the lowest common demoniator of the US population. I have never seen a regular, ordinary person get sick on the bus, but I have seen plenty of drunks and addicts do it. I'm not talking one night of tying it on, but homeless because of alcohol and drugs. I have wished those people would get kicked off the bus because v isn't the only thing coming out of them. It's majorly disgusting not to see the pee in a seat and sit in it. Yuck!

If Catherine 73 is an American, she may be assuming the person is a drunk or junkie. I destested riding the bus with junkies, but I did it for many years and yes, I did wish they could be kicked off or prevented from coming on in the first place. Some may consider that mean, but being around homeless junkies is really, really unpleasant. I am so very, very thankful that I don't have to ride the bus anymore.

I have made comments like Catherine's before. I can understand her perspective if she has had to ride the bus a lot with junkies. I have often been terrified on the bus and let's just say, v was the least of my fears. Those crazy gangers with guns scared the living crap out of me. I always sat as close to the driver as I could. I did have to sit with junkies sometimes though and gangers. It was scary, but I did it because I had to go to work and that's the only transportation I had at the time.

To be fair, I've met lots of nice people on the bus. There were plenty of scared people sitting there with me. No one much likes it, but what are you going to do? You have to do your laundry, shop, work, live your life even if you have very little money. At any rate, that's an American with lots of bus riding experience perspective. Lots of times, taxis don't want to take a sick person to the doctor. Plus they are expensive, so you do see people with all sorts of health problems on the bus.

I would'nt group everybody who rides public transport as poor or drug addicted :/
    My parents did so when we first ame here and I've seen more school kids riding. I don't see that many drug addicts or obviously poor people. I take a bus because it's easier than having to worry about Gas and stuff.