Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Afraid

Default Afraid

Hi everyone--

I've never posted in the forum before, but tonight felt like an emergency. I had diarrhea today, but managed to remain relatively calm. Until tonight. I started feeling nauseated for the first time... I totally panicked and thought I might actually be sick this time. I often scare myself into believing THIS is THE MOMENT I've been dreading! So far, I haven't been sick. But I'm still very afraid it could happen tonight. I always fear falling asleep because all of my memories of throwing up as a child happened in the middle of the night. Just writing that sentence feels scary! Does anyone have any tips or advice to keep me cool and vomit-free?

Thanks! Desperately,
    Bevin

Default Re: Afraid

Bevin,
    If you want the truth, the first step to feeling better is know that if/when it happens you WILL BE OK!!!! The more you tell yourself that you'll make it through, the less the fear has a hold on you. Do what you need to do to feel comfortable. Is there a movie or show that an distract you and calm you down? Remember that people get sick every day and make it through and you would too! I doubt that you will be sick tonight, but every time the fear creeps in remind it that you are stronger than it is and can handle it! Glad you are here and hope this helps some!

Default Re: Afraid

Though I totally agree with Syrup and I tell myself the above ALL the time, when I get into moments like you're in right now where I think, "this is it!" those logical thoughts go out the window, and that's ok! You're just starting on a journey to recovery! D* could easily be from stress, eating something that didn't agree with you, etc. I also have bad memories of waking up ill in the middle of the night so to be honest with you, on REALLY bad nights I find something to do to take my mind off of it and stay up (so long as I don't have something to do the next day) until 3am or so. Sometimes later. It just helps me cope. If it IS going to happen my mentality is I'd rather be alert and prepared rather than having to wake up in a confused panic. Hope you feel better!