Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi!

I'm sorry if this is gonna be a bit gross. Has nothing to do with vomiting though. I have a cold and the phlegm is so thick it won't come up (it always is now when I get a cold). I think that nausea and other gastric symptoms are a common side effect of cough syrups. Last time I tried taking them in a tablet form and they seemed to make me feel sick so I stopped taking them. I wanted to ask you guys if you stay away from cough syrups because they can make you feel sick and even vomit and if not have they made you feel sick? I don't know if the liquid stuff has ever made me feel sick but they'reall really yucky. If I were to take something I don't know if I'll go for the tablets or the syrup.

Tiina

they have never made me feel sick. Youve got to get that phlem up, if you don't, you could end up with a much worse condition like phnemonia or bronchitis. the phlem will probably make you feel sicker they longer you leave it down there.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

I used to get bronchitus twice a year and I had to take cough syrup. It made me sick like EVERY time I took it. I mean I didn't V* but it made my stomach hurt and the taste BLECH. I never took tablets...last time I had a cold I took NYQUIL gel caps and those REALLY helped. You can get NYQUIL and DAYQUIL so you won't get drowsy. Those never made me sick and they were great.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

For getting phelgm out, my suggestion is a drug cal guafinessin. It thins the mucus, so you can get rid of it. In the US, there is a product called mucinex, that is only guafinessin. It's in most cough syrups, so you should be good! I hope you are feeling better soon!!

Mara
    I\'m not completely insane; I\'m just a little bit crazy.

Drink lots of water, and eat lots of salt, that should help get it moving too. Taking benadryl or sudafed, stuff along that line, will make it harder for it to come up, so try to avoid them for a while. Mucinex should work too.

I was also worried about the side effects of cough syrup for a long time. About 4 or 5 months ago I had a really bad cough but I refused to take any cough syrup. Well, being super tiny, I eventually coughed sop much I cracked my rib. After that it hurt SO BAD to cough I was willing to take the risk and take the cough syrup. I had absolutely no problems with it. The tast wasn't even as bad as I was expecting (not that it tasted good or anything . . . ). My suggestion is to definitely take it. The chances of it making you sick are much smaller than the chances of you getting worse by not taking it. Feel better!!

I had a chest infection and really bad cough earlier this year so tried two different types of cough medicine. Neither made me feel in the slightest bit nauseous or gave me stomach problems. Having all that thick horrible mucus on your chest can make you feel sick, so try and take something, I'm sure you'll feel better.

I take a herbal preparation with echinacea and goldenseal inwhen I feel really ill with colds, flu or chest infections. It helps boost your immune system and fight the infection quicker.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Hi!

Thank you all for your responses. I haven't started taking anything yet cause like I said last time when I took the tablets they seemed to make me nauseous and the liquid stuff is so yucky and I don't feel like taking it. Plus I'm not entirely sure if that stuff could interact with the Seroquel that I'm taking. There's this site I go to to check interactions but it's a US site I think and I don't know what this stuff that I have is called over there. I tried to search google with the active ingredient to find out what it's called in the US but couldn't find it.

Maybe I'll have to give in and take something.This might be kind of gross but the phlegm just doesn't seem to be coming up except sometimesall of a sudden it'll feel like it's trying to come upbut it feels likeit would get stuck inmy throat if I tried to get itto come up. It usually does feel like it's getting stuck there and it makes me feel like I'm gonna gag and/or choke on it and that makes me panick. It's awful.Plus it always happens when I'm out in public someplace like on the bus and it's pretty embarrassing to start hacking up phlegm. I'll just have to see if it seems like it's gonnaclearup on its own or not.

Don't be embarassed about hacking up mucus in public.Edited by: ChippedAway

Like Chipped Away said don't get embarassed about bringing mucus up in public - it happens to everbody once in a while. When I get a bad cold and I'm chesty I make sure a carry loads of tissues around and if necessary just discretely spit anything that comes off my chest intoa tissue. If anyone sees you, they'll probably just think you are discarding some chewing gum )

I've just thought,some foods can be mucus forming so it's an idea to cut back on them at such times as this. Some things to cut back on/avoid are bananas, dairy products, greasy foods, roasted peanuts and refined sugar.

Hope things improve for you soon.
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

Unfortunately I find itliterally impossibleto take medicine in any form, so I can't give you anypersonal advice from me.

My mother however, gets colds ratherfrequently and takes cough syrup. She has never complained of any side effects. I think it entirely depends on the person, and also, howworriedyou are about taking it.

I mean, if you are about totake a medicine andworrying about being sick, when you finally take it you might work yourself up into such a state analysing yourself for new "symptoms",that you bring on the feeling sick yourself. It's entirely psychosomatic.

I actually have rather bad chronic phlegm, because I suffer from Post Nasal Drip, but I take a nasal spray to combat this. I can handle a nasal spray, and it's reassuring to know that the only side effects are listed as: "A bad taste or smell, sneezing, confusion, a feeling of panic." Hehe

I recently had sinusitis and was taking cough medicine before I was diagnosed by the doctor. My main concern before I took the medicine was that it would make me feel s***k - but it really didn't. I felt so ill I didn't care what I took providing it made me feel better.

[img]smileys/smilies_03.gif[/img]

The only thing I know about cough syrups is that if you are taking an anti-depressant you cannot take anything with DM in it. That's the expectorant. Apparently it can make you really hyper! I had the worst chest cold a few years ago and bought the stuff to thin it and get you to "wet" cough, and then, after taking it, I read I shouldn't have. Totally freaked, thinking I would V*, but the pharmasist said it can just make you jumpy and hyper!

I HATE colds, so I do take the meds and have NEVER had any side effects, except for drowsiness, which is usually good anyway!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!