Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry I'm fed up with this and I want answers!!!!

My nausea! I'm sick of it! I made an appointment with my GI doctor so discuss this further because I'm dead tired of this! Can ANYBODY here at least try to offer some insight behind my problem?

I get nauseated
    • After a Bowel Movement - Started before Emetophobia
    • After drinking (ALWAYS) - After Emetophobia
    • After eating (50/50) - Before Emetophobia
    • When I'm hot (Heat Sensitive) - Before Emet
    • When I'm cold (Cold Sensitive) - Before Emet
    • When I use a Hand Sanitizer (almost immediately after) -Before Emet
    • When I awake during the night to change my position - After Emet
    • When I go to sleep - After Emet
    • When I wake up fully - Before Emet
    • When I get under 9 hours of sleep - Before Emet
    • When I have to pee - After Emet

I just want answers! I don't want life pills! I could sleep before being put on Remeron, but now I'm sleep dependent! I know people will say it is anxiety related, but don't! I know when my anxiety is causing nausea!
    Just because I'm an Emet who suffers from Idiopathic nausea doesn't mean my nausea is all anxiety and I'm SICK of hearing that same crap over and over again! How about the time when I went into the hospital for a week because I lost weight from not eating DUE to nausea 6 years before my Emet started? How about the time when I married the porcelain god for a week because I was suffering from nausea a few years before my Emet? How about me not being able to pay attention in school because eatin lunch made me nauseated? I couldn't eat breakfast because that made me nauseated! If I skipped launch, nauseated! This was about a year before my Emet!

There is something CLEARLY not working right! I should have NEVER told ANY doctor about my anxiety disorder! I'm not taking Celexa (devil pill)! I'm sorry for ranting but I literally have exhausted every last ounce of energy on this and I'm really in a state of malaise! Lost 12lbs in this month and I'm always dizzy! I'm going to my GI doctor and I'm DEMANDING TESTS be done! If not, I'm getting a new doctor and getting tests from him/her! If not, I simply won't eat to be placed in the hospital again! Not like I haven't spent more than 3 months of my life in the hospital! (5 extended stays)

Default Re: I'm fed up with this and I want answers!!!!

Well, some of that stuff might suggest that there's something else going on. I'm not qualified to put it all together myself though. If you can handle it, and your GI wants to, an endoscopy and colonoscopy along with a complete blood count would rule out or in anything serious. I've heard of some non emets who had a bunch of nausea and even v*ing with no discernible physical cause like my brother's ex gf. Some of that list, especially if we mean stuff that happened after emet sounds like it could be from being hyper aware of your stomach sensations. The fact that you had some of the same stuff before you became emetophobic makes me think you might actually have some sort of physical problem. I hope you can get it sorted out.

Hi there,

I can hear how frustrated you are and I would be too if I had so many things that could set off my nausea and no real answers about it. It must be annoying for you that people often put it down to anxiety; you know you best. However, I am wondering if some of your nausea is psychologically induced (and I don't mean for a second that that makes it feel less real). Sometimes if something makes you feel a certain way a few times, you start to expect it and then it happens more and more. I once managed to convince myself that I couldn't eat eggs because they made me feel nauseous. Then I got tired of it because I really like them and just started eating them, it was fine and I can still eat them now and feel perfectly ok. What do you think of what I've said so far?

As for it having nothing to do with anxiety or not being caused psychologically, as I'm no doctor and nor do I have any experience of this, I'm not sure. Perhaps there could be a dietary issue? Intolerance to certain foods in turn making you feel nauseous. Have you explored this possibility?

I wish you luck when you see your doctor. I hope you get some answers soon!

Lucy

I agree with both responses above. I went through the same thing at different periods of my life. I finally had all the testing done and they showed absolutely nothing......I even had my gallbladder removed because the drs. thought maybe that was the problem.......it wasn't. it was hard to accept and believe that my anxiety/mind could be causing all my problems.....but it really was. I am on Prozac which helps with the obsessive thoughts and also makes me able to "talk myself" out of the n and able to carry on most times with my everyday life. i'm not cured by any means......but after 50 years I feel like i'm atleast able to manage it pretty well. if it requires me taking a pill everyday ....then I will take the pill.....it beats feeling sick and being scared 24/7.......I look at it like "if I had diabetes and had to take insulin everyday to stay well I would take it".......you may have tried antidepressants before with no luck....it's just a question of finding the right one. do have all the tests you need to rule out any physical causes for your n........get your results and carry on from there......I wish you peace
    how i feel about emet
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hi, nobody here will be able to offer you any insight really. The only thing you can do to know for sure is get tests done. If your Doc won't send you for them simply go to a new Doc.
    Years ago, I was sent for a series of tests because I felt sick all the time. Only after getting those tests done was the subject of anxiety/stress etc brought up. I find it odd that your Doc seems to work the other way around.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

@jkl81
    I'm afraid to have a colonoscopy. I don't drink more than 12 ounces a day so I think the laxative would effectively kill me. The colon flush laxative thingy creates a feeling of malaise on the intestines and I know that I would panic from it... that and I have a slight case of parcopresis.

@misslucy1590
    I personally think that I have numerous food intolerances, but I don't want to like, cause anymore anxiety by examining about them. I know for a fact that I'm highly intolerant to Milk and Ice Cream. (Don't even get me started on my beloved Eggnog)

@olschesky
    But if you don't take the insulin if you're a Diabetic, you run the risk of potentially killing yourself... I was okay before I took the Mirtazipine, like I was able to sleep, eat and stuff. After the Mirtazipine, I became sleep dependent, always angry, ate too much and then lost my appetite... Oh and Celexa made me vomit so I'll NEVER touch that pill again haha. The problem with the Anxiety thing is that I've been struggling with gastric problems for a very long time. I started getting the phobia because the nausea never resulted in vomiting so I thought Vomiting is death.

@jptk
    Did you tell your doctor prior to any of the tests? I made the mistake and told him before I had my endoscopy. I'm def gonna start looking into another GI just incase my doctor doesn't believe that my nausea is related other to my anxiety

Even now. I have nausea even though I took a 25mg Promethazine a few hours ago. I think it is either dehydration or acid problems. I'm taking my usual sleep medications (Ranitidine, Promethazine, Mirtazapine) so I hope the nausea goes away. I'm afraid to swallow anything. My mouth is so dry that I can taste every part of my mouth haha. My throat randomly flickers and makes me cough,

I'm really done with living. I'm not gonna kill myself, but if the GI thing doesn't get itself done, I'm probably gonna admit myself in some form of protective custody. I don't want to live, but am too scared to commit.

It sounds like a combo/cycle of taking far too much promethazine, not drinking, therefore being anxious about your body not doing what it's supposed to. But I mean, the above members offered you some pretty great insight and it got shot down so this will probably too. What do I know!

From what you have said, it really sounds like you've gotten into a vicious circle of anxiety regardless of whether you believe the nausea is caused by it or not. You must be dehydrated a lot of the time if that's all you're drinking in a day. Being dehydrated can cause a multitude of problems by itself, nausea included. I think you should definitely mention how little you are drinking to your doctor next time if you haven't done so already.

Sounds like a textbook case of dehydration to me. If you can't drink more fluids try munhing on ice instead, its much more managable for me! Also, try going gluten free to see if that helps!

@JadeNight

I didn't shoot their insight down; I expressed my concern about the colonoscopy. I may have shot down Olschesky's but it wasn't on purpose but I'm more than finished listening about this being anxiety related.

I do understand what you're talking about witht e Promethazine but I'm not sure if it even activates when absorbed sublingually. That's where I def need to calm down on the pills. I only orally take em 3 times a day like I'm supposed to.

I'm def dehydrated, but I haven't been dehydrated for 10 years lol. I've been dehydrated the last month but isn't there a limit? Like after a while, you start i don't know. I'm confused lol.

If I am right and do find out that there is a physical problem with me, I'm never listening to anybody ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVerySorry View Post
    @JadeNight

I didn't shoot their insight down; I expressed my concern about the colonoscopy. I may have shot down Olschesky's but it wasn't on purpose but I'm more than finished listening about this being anxiety related.

I do understand what you're talking about witht e Promethazine but I'm not sure if it even activates when absorbed sublingually. That's where I def need to calm down on the pills. I only orally take em 3 times a day like I'm supposed to.

I'm def dehydrated, but I haven't been dehydrated for 10 years lol. I've been dehydrated the last month but isn't there a limit? Like after a while, you start i don't know. I'm confused lol.

If I am right and do find out that there is a physical problem with me, I'm never listening to anybody ever again.
    If you're dehydrated, you're dehydrated. There's no conditions or limits. You need to be rehydrated, no ifs, buts or maybes.

No ones saying the nausea isn't real, but that doesn't mean it can't be caused by anxiety
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I just found out that Gatorade, if taken too much, can actually cause Dehydration and other electrolyte imbalances. That sucks haha. Now I have nothing to drink.

I would easily have thought it was anxiety if the nausea appeared after my phobia but that simply isn't the case. I've tried 2 anti-depressants, one which caused an emetic event, so I'm tired of waiting 3 months to see if a pill has any effect. I can say that Remeron did allow me to eat for the first few months, but that is no more.

After I rule out every likely problem, then I'll focus on my mind. If it is all anxiety related, then i have no purpose of living because Emetophobia will never flee 100%.

If it is all anxiety related, then i have no purpose of living because Emetophobia will never flee 100%.
    And that right there is Emetophobia speaking. You can get rid of it enough that life can be really good. I did.

But still having the fear won't do me any good. Are you still a phobic?

It might not do any good, but it doesn't mean that you have no purpose in living just because of a phobia that can very much be improved.

Up until a few weeks ago, I'd have said that yes, I'm still phobic, but I don't think I am. Some things have happened the past few weeks that make me think that I'm not phobic anymore.

Its really hard to 100% believe as an "outsider" to your body that this has nothing to do with anxiety. After you make a full circle about your concerns and conditions about what's wrong with you, you end it with saying you have no purpose of living if it's emetophobia. I was severely emetophobic about 3 years ago. I'm recovered now. So I speak from experience there's a purpose to live and it's NOT impossible......But I always suffered from anxiety so even the "before phobic" and "after phobic" conditions doesn't mean that you weren't always anxious! If that makes sense.

I know this sounds harsh, but when you post about a problem and ask for help, it can apparently never be the obvious. Just because it's not what you want to hear doesn't mean it's not true or at least plays a big part of what's wrong with you.

Oh, and as for the gatorade. Don't just shrug it off like "oh now I have nothing to drink" You do have options you just have to make the effort to find them. It sounds like you're severely lacking vital vitamins and nutrients from taking way too much anti emetics and eating junk food.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeNight View Post
    Oh, and as for the gatorade. Don't just shrug it off like "oh now I have nothing to drink" You do have options you just have to make the effort to find them. It sounds like you're severely lacking vital vitamins and nutrients from taking way too much anti emetics and eating junk food.
    (water is a thing)

I agree with everything Michelle just said, only she said it much more eloquently than I could have.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    (water is a thing)

I agree with everything Michelle just said, only she said it much more eloquently than I could have.
    Thank you!
    And yes, water is pretty important! and better yet is always an option

SoVerySorry, I would suggest that a lot of your problem is from dehydration. If it didn't cause nausea before, you were lucky. It is a typical symptom, and so are headaches, dizziness, and loss of appetite. If I drank as little as you do, I would be afraid of what the consequences might be. I know for sure I'd be unable to do any physical work, be it for pleasure or employed work. I do recognize it's hard to drink when you feel nauseated, but find something you like, anything that contains mostly water is better than nothing. I'm not saying you don't have other underlying medical problems or you shouldn't get them checked out, but I think if you get your water consumption a little closer to what a normal teen/young adult actually needs, plus compensate a little extra for all that promethazine you're taking you will feel a lot better.

I'm a little confused so I apologise if I misinterpret something.

@Kaydeejayde
    How can you live if you are still afraid? I mean, if you had some sort of cyclic nausea disorder, would you have been able to recover? I don't mean this aggressively if it reads so...

@JadeNight
    I had a nausea problem way before my fear arose. When I was 9, I always had this stomach problem. I never ate as much as my family and I never really played much cause I always got nauseated which is why I'm too confident that this has some sort of root in a physical clause. The more people tell me it is anxiety, the more anxious I get. That's why I hate hearing it. It feeds my phobia and accelerates it against what I know from my "pre-phobia" days.
    I use to drink everything like soda, heavy juices and stuff, but 2 or 3 months ago, I all of the sudden rejected strong liquids. Soda instantly gets me nauseated and heavy liquids web the back of my throat. I don't think you remember but I think it was you I told a few months back that water seems to trigger acid and nausea.

@jkl81
    I'm always nauseated so I couldn't say if I wasn't suffering from the dehydration part haha. I'm def dehydrated right now (confusion, can't bring up words correctly; slurring). I don't know, I never get thirsty and I only actually feel dehydrated when my perception starts getting affected. I'm jealous of people who can actually drink "the average" a day.

I don't think the promethazine is a problem to anything but my intestine though. I'm gonna ask my GI about Promethazine and it's first pass metabolism to see if this is even working (sublingually).

I'll def try to drink water more now. It is taking me more than 5 hours to drink 6 ounces, but I'll try anyways.

You could also try some ice chips to get your right quantity of water in you. Also if you like gatorade, drink it. It won't damage your electrolyte balance at least not in moderation, in fact with any kind of a reasonable dose, I'd expect that you'd see an improvement in your electrolyte balance.

@Kaydeejayde
    How can you live if you are still afraid? I mean, if you had some sort of cyclic nausea disorder, would you have been able to recover? I don't mean this aggressively if it reads so...
    You become less afraid! You do things DESPITE your fears. Just because there's a risk I might crash while driving and I'm afraid of that, doesn't mean I just don't drive. Same with emet. There's a risk if I go out and do things that I enjoy that someone might be sick or I could catch something, but that tiny risk doesn't stop me because I refuse to let it, because I'm stronger than this.

and yes. Lots of people have disorders and illnesses that make them feel nauseated all of the time but they go out, get shit done and live their lives anyways.
    Last edited by KaydeeJayde; 08-13-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Adding

jkl81
    I'm drinking water... it doesn't have a taste so it kinda tastes like my mouth which doesn't taste good haha. It is giving me massive acid indigestion and nausea which is irking me lol. I won't take a promethazine with water because I don't want to taste the pill haha

@Kaydeejaydee
    Let's just say I did have a problem that causes Nausea. If that isn't treatable, how much better do you think an emets... well... emetophobia get? I mean wow that was all over the place

If you had a stomach issue that isn't accountable with anxiety, do you think you would have been able to get to your position today?

I get nauseaous:

- Before a bowel movement, sometimes after (IBS)
    - When I am dehydrated (Nausea is a symptom of dehydration - normal)
    - Sometimes during or after eating (IBS)
    - When I am hot (heat sensitive) (This is quite normal for a lot of people and coinsides with dehydration)
    - When I am cold (heat sensitive) (I am assuming this is pretty normal for people too, it is your body's way of warning you that you need to warm up)
    - Sometimes when I wake up in the morning (due to tiredness, hunger and dehydration from being asleep - normal)
    - When I do not get enough sleep (again, due to tiredness and lack of energy - normal)
    - When I get too much sleep (I have no idea what causes this, but it is normal to feel crappy when you have been asleep for too long)
    - When I sit around for too long not really doing much, like sometimes at the weekends when I just watch crap on TV all day or play computer games. (as above)
    - When I have not eaten for a while (hunger causes nausea to tell you that you need to eat something - normal)
    - When I drink too much alcohol (goes without saying - normal)
    - When I do too much exercise (I am very unfit and it is common/normal for people to feel sick or vomit if they work themselves too hard)

The point of this post was to point out that I get nauseaous for a lot of reasons too and yet I still live a relatively normal life. And I am also still VERY much phobic of all things vomit. I do not think that there is anything majorly wrong with me, other than I have IBS which is well known for causing nausea. A lot of the things on your list are completely normal reasons to feel nauseaous and does not neccessarily mean that there is something wrong with you. By all means go and speak to a doctor and have tests done, and another one if they do not want to test you, until you have the tests done, as you may have a GI issue such as IBS, gastritis etc which you can then recieve treatment for, but I do not think that there will be one set cause for all of your problems.

I believe that a lot of it is in your head and caused by anxiety (not all of it as some does sound like a GI issue, but some), I know that is not what you want to hear, but I think it is all a bit of a vicious circle. I think you have experienced nausea after/before these things in the past and because of emetophobia it put you on edge and you sort of came to expect that it would happen every time after, and then it did. The mind is a very powerful thing unfortunately. If you think of something/convince yourself of something enough then it will happen.

Dehydration is accountable for a lot of it as well and the fact that you do not drink enough. When you do drink something it seems foreign to your body so it does not know what to do and therefore makes you feel sick. This is the same with the nausea when needing to urinate, your body is desperately trying to produce urine, but there is not enough fluid in your system so when you do need to go it is a big effort on your kidneys/bladder which can make you feel sick (anything to do with the kidneys can make you feel sick). The more you do it though, the more you'll get used to it and the nausea should stop. I don't like water either, but it is much nicer with ice cubes and a slice of lemon in it. Or do you have squash/cordial where you live... you know the fruit flavoured stuff that you add to water to make it taste nice? That makes it a lot more palatable. There are also flavoured waters out there too which are very yummy. If drinking is still too much though you could try munching on ice chips as well to help with the fluid intake until you are used to drinking large volumes again. Or eating ice lollies as they are essentially frozen, flavoured water.

Nausea after using hand sanitizer could be due to an allergic reaction to it. Either due to overuse of it (allergies can develop due to excessive use of something) or just because you are allergic to one or multiple ingredients in it and it may have always been there. Is it all brands of hand sanitizer that causes nausea after use?
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

I know you are hesitant to check on food sensitivities, but if you are at the end of your rope, it's worth a shot. If you are like me, I was finally willing to do ANYTHING to relieve the nausea. Anything. For me, that meant getting tested for food sensitives and stepping out of my comfort zone to eat differently. It has made a HUGE difference for me. I am allergic to wheat, and my entire list of comfort foods was carb related, which meant everything had wheat in it. I have notices MUCH less anxiety because I am not nauseous all the time. My family cannot believe the difference! I finally accepted that my body was created to function properly, and if it wasn't, something was wrong. The amount of nausea and gas and bloating and overall discomfort that I was living with were not normal, and no matter how many people said it was anxiety, I knew better. A big one for me was the horrible nausea I experienced before a BM. Since I am avoiding wheat, that has decreased almost 100%. I guess I'm just saying that if you are feeling so discouraged, it may be time to open your mind to be willing to do whatever it takes to find relief. Best of luck to you! It can be so much better!
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

I didn't know I had a response

Sorry for the late reply...

@Miss_pink24
    D

...my message was eaten by the Post Quick Reply button

have you had a gastric timing study done? This happened to me also and I just felt like crap constantly...turns out I have gasterparesis....meds and a diet change have helped dramatically...hope you get some answers soon!!