Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Has anyone here conquered emetophobia?

HeyJust been reading some posts about members who have said they don't think they're emetophobic anymore - if you're one of these, I'd love to know how you conquered it.Thank you

Default Re: Has anyone here conquered emetophobia?

I think I'm doing MUCH better than i've ever been with it, the idea of getting s* doesn't particularly bother me, i'd only be bothered if it actually happened and I can know that I'd cope which helps me remember I would cope if it did happen. Removing that bad association of v* being something you should avoid, to something that is NORMAL and if it happens then whatever, it happens.

I do still have some emet thoughts though.
    I worked through the thrive programme and downloaded emet recovery system. I've also been doing exposure on youtube watching v* videos. That is really all the things I have done to try to overcome this as I'm waiting on some real CBT. I will be thankful for this if I get to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by emetkermit View Post
    HeyJust been reading some posts about members who have said they don't think they're emetophobic anymore - if you're one of these, I'd love to know how you conquered it.Thank you
    Hi I would say that I am pretty much over emet now. I had tried CBT previously with very limited success, I had resisted taking any medication previously due to an adverse reaction previously and also fear of medication causing v*. However things came to a head around a year ago and I knew I had to see my GP to discuss medication again, I just could not carry on the way I was. My GP prescribed Trazodone in September last year, and around christmas/new year I first realised that it was having a really positive effect. I managed a long journey without any crippling anxiety, and also when my daughter had a bout of v* (still not sure what caused this but no one else got ill), when I was sat there shaking and rocking with my fingers in my ears I thought what the hell am I doing? and that was it, I coped from there without any panic, only concern and anxiety over what was wrong with her, which I consider is normal. From then on I noticed a considerable reduction in my pre-occupation with v* as a whole, and was generally a lot less anxious. I currently take 150 mg daily, however I did reduce my dose recently and my symptoms began to return I have just started a course of CBT and I am hoping to achieve success this time, as for me CBT alone did not work, but it can work for some. However at the moment I am not able to control my symptoms of anxiety without medication. I consider that my emet is an anxiety disorder and for me the thought of v* is a lot worse than the act itself, I work myself up about it so much, Even when I have been exposed to the thing I fear the most, it did not provide a long term cure for me anyway.

Through medication and cbt, I am doing much better. I'm not 100% over it, but I would say I'm doing a lot better. At least, I'm not asking my family if they are going to v everyday and I can sleep at night without being afraid someone will v.

I'm the same as Grace. I did the hard yards with CBT (Which is not easy, but it's worth it), and that helped take some of it away, but getting out of a stressful family situation helped me get over it a lot, and also I think I almost grew out of the worst of it. I'm not anxious about it every day, and I go out a lot more than I used to, but I'm still phobic if I'm faced with the prospect of someone vomiting.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm very proud to say that emetophobia barely bothers me anymore - sadly, now I have other, worse, issues that are waiting to be found out and treated (and I'm afraid it's not going to take just a year).

Like my new psychiatrist says, therapy, medication, staying away from places such as this and, well, that shouldn't be here, nutritionist (Yes. I went from underweight to overweight in 1 year).
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

You may enjoy this thread! Same question but over 20 replies

http://www.emetophobia.org/showthrea...me-emetophobia

You may find these links helpful!