Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Do you think there is a reason I shoud be worried, or is the food safe in Mexico? I'm leaving on Wednesday it's my honeymoon and I don't want it to be ruined by being sick or worrying about being sick. Anyone ever been there? Thanks!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My friend goes there to. She said she is cautious about what she eats and drinks, she was mentioning some thing about cement pills I have no idea what that is. Just drink bottle water I guess. Go on google and see if you can find any info on the eating and drinking there.

Found some info for you.
    <H6>Recommended Vaccinations and Preventive Medications </H6>

The following vaccines may be recommended for your travel to Mexico and Central America. Discuss your travel plans and personal health with a health-care provider to determine which vaccines you will need.
    <UL>
    <LI>Hepatitis A or immune globulin (IG). Transmission of hepatitis A virus can occur through direct person-to-person contact; through exposure to contaminated water, ice, or shellfish harvested in contaminated water; or from fruits, vegetables, or other foods that are eaten uncooked and that were contaminated during harvesting or subsequent handling.
    <LI>Hepatitis B, especially if you might be exposed to blood or body fluids (for example, health-care workers), have sexual contact with the local population, or be exposed through medical treatment. Hepatitis B vaccine is now recommended for all infants and for children ages 11–12 years who did not receive the series as infants.
    <LI>Malaria: if you are traveling to a malaria-risk area in this region, see your health care provider for a prescription antimalarial drug. For details concerning risk and preventive medications, see Malaria Information for Travelers to Central America and Mexico.
    <LI>Rabies, if you might have extensive unprotected outdoor exposure in rural areas, such as might occur during camping, hiking, or bicycling, or engaging in certain occupational activities.
    <LI>Typhoid vaccine. Typhoid fever can be contracted through contaminated drinking water or food, or by eating food or drinking beverages that have been handled by a person who is infected. Large outbreaks are most often related to fecal contamination of water supplies or foods sold by street vendors
    <LI>Yellow fever, for travelers to endemic areas in Panama
    <LI>As needed, booster doses for tetanus-diphtheria and measles. </LI>[/list]
    <H6>Required Vaccinations </H6>
    <UL>
    <LI>None. </LI>[/list]

Diseases found in Mexico and Central America (risk can vary by country and region within a country; quality of in-country surveillance also varies)

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
    <T>
    <TR>
    <TD class=std-txt-sechdr>What You Need To Bring With You</TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD></TD></TR>
    <TR>
    <TD>
    <UL>
    <LI>Long-sleeved shirt, long pants, and a hat to wear whenever possible while outside, to prevent illnesses carried by insects (e.g., malaria, Dengue, <A href="http://www2.ncid.cdc.gov/travel/yb/utils/ybGet.asp?secti&#111;n=dis&amp;obj=filariasis.htm" target="_blank">filariasis

Haha, I had to laugh when I read "cement pills", ontariogirl! To the best of my knowledge that's a joke about meds such as Immodium AD for diarrhea! I have IBS and a friend and I joke about it (he has lactose intolerance, so we share a lot of the same symptoms) and when I took an Immodium one day he said, "Oh, I call those 'water to cement pills'"! Kinda gross, but funny!

I think my point is bring some of those with you to Mexico, and don't drink the water! I have heard of people getting that problem from Mexico, but not of anyone getting sick, if that makes sense. Have a great trip!!!

Mary
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I was wondering what the hec cement pills were??!!![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Thanks everyone!!! I'm SOOOOO scared right now, I want to crybut I will try to enjoy myself. I will let you know how it goes when I get back. Wish me luck!!!

Kelly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mexico is so wonderful! I went there for 10 days a few years ago and did NOT get sick. My husband did, but he was not careful and ate a lot of things that are not safe (in Mexico, a lot of things are not safe to eat). We were in Oaxaca, a place that is definitely not "Westernized" at ALL.

In general, do not drink the water or eat things washed with water. No freshvegetables orfruit or food that touched vegetables or fruit. That's torture, because they have gorgeous vegetables. In our bed and breakfast every morning they served us omelets with a ring of the most delicious looking tomato slices around the edge. I would eat no part of the eggs that touched the tomato. No ice. No guacamole (it's made of raw avocado). I also brushed my teeth and washed my face with bottled water and closed my mouth tightly in the shower and did not let water touch my face.

It's still worth it though. Pure magic. I would go again in a minute. As soon as my daughter is old enough we're defintiely going to go again. Have a great time!

Just a note that I've been to Mexico (Mazatlan) and I ate the fruit and drank water from restaurants, with ice, and never got sick. It was a wonderful vacation and I never wanted to leave!!! Places will warn you if you shouldn't drink the water, as in our hotel (and it was even a Holiday Inn) and they provided bottled water for brushing teeth and stuff. But in a place that depends on tourism for their money, they're not going to do things that will make those people sick or they'd never come back. I hope you have a great time, Kelly!!!!
    In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11