Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Gonna start eating and drinking healthily!

I'm gonna start eating and drinking more in accordance to what I need to survive! I know that will help get rid of my nausea and acid problems. I need help with suggestions with food and drinks if you guys don't mind.

I have a water faucet filter and a pitcher filter for water. I'll either freeze and then boil the faucet filtered water before putting it through the pitcher filter or buy bottled water and put it in the filter. I'm kinda afraid to drink water haha.

I can't drink water itself because the taste is just bad enough that I like, lose thirst if simply because the taste.
    I bought some fruit with a lot of juices so I can make flavored water. I bought Lemons, Limes, Grapefruit, Kiwi, Winter Melons, some yellow melon and a cantaloupe? (cantaloupe's are so expensive from I'm from!)
    Will the Lemon and Lime and stuff cause stomach distress? Water gives me indigestion so I'm worried about it.
    I also have Tea, but I'm terrified of Theobromine now. Chai, Chamomile, Mint, Rose, Green Tea, Black Tea. It all smells so good and it is all native, but Theobromine. I don't know how much theobromine is in each packet.

Now for the food! I don't know what to eat haha. I'm absolutely petrified to eat leafy products because they cross contaminate easily. I can't eat meat because it takes too long for me to digest haha. Other than that, I'm out of options. I don't worry about eating much so I really never ventured out of my bubble with food. I'm terrified of Seafood also.

What types of food would help me feel better?

Default Re: Gonna start eating and drinking healthily!

SOrry if this is all over the place. THis was originally a panic post, but I told myself not to give into the panic, but I'm still panicky haha (lack of hydration and food)

Can you eat potatoes? When I feel nauseated, I can always eat a baked one and it helps. Tea sounds great to me. The mint especially, as it can help curb nausea. I totally understand the hatred towards plain water. Makes me feel gross. A lot of people will use lemon in hot water as a natural laxative but I'm unsure about cold water. I can drink a lemonade when I feel sick and it makes me feel better. Cold foods and salty foods have always been included in lists I read online about things that combat nausea. Pretzels, popsicles,crackers, things of that nature. Unsure if you can eat any of those but if you can, it's worth a shot. I used to eat a lot of cereal dry because I can't tolerate dairy well and they usually have some nutrients I know I need.Rice has been one of my best friends. I've been severely emet off and on for 20 years, coupled with bi-polar disorder.So phobic at times that I've seen someone post on Facebook that they were sick and lived 2000 miles from me and I swore I would get it. I've gone through phases where I wouldn't eat for days and made myself so sick that I had to be sent to the hospital.When I got out of high school, I was a hefty girl. And I lost 80 pounds in 4 months as a result of the phobia. And I've seen days where I've ate the entirety of an 18 oz steak that was cooked medium rare. Very strange phobia it is but YOU WILL SURVIVE it. I can guarantee you that. It can get better. I still have a panic attack and go into hysterics every now and then. Maybe once every 3 or 4 months. Nowhere near as bad as it used to be. And I somehow managed to do this without meds or therapy. If you feel that's the route you need to go, by all means, please do. Whatever you can do to help yourself get better is what I you have to do. I totally strayed from the topic. Sorry.

I tried to reply to this but it said a moderator would have to approve and it got a little long winded so I'll try to condense it. I always turn to baked potatoes, rice, dry cereals because I don't tolerate milk well and there are some nutrients in them that your body needs. I understand about the plain water being too gross. Makes me feel yucky. Some people do use lemons in hot water as a natural laxative but I'm not sure about cold water. Lemons are good for curbing nausea though. I love lemonade. Cold foods and salty foods are always included on lists I read online when I've searched for things to help with nausea. Popsicles,cracker,pretzels. The mint tea sounds divine and it's helpful. Ginger quells nausea. Hope that helps in some small way. I know how you feel. You will survive this. It can get better. I promise.

Okay! I'll def try some sticky rice and potatoes! I'll just cross out Lemons and Warm water really quick haha! Gonna write down crackers and pretzels.

THanks for the help!

Yogurt is a must IMO. My 3 1/2 yo daughter eats yogurt all the time and she has yet to come down with anything while in school.

Pretzels and crackers are a great snack. My wife and I try and drink a gallon of water a day. I HATED water, but once you are drinking consistently, you feel a difference. All I drink is water.

also, look into corn eating. We do a lot of oats, greens etc. Clean eating has helped my stomach issues. Now when my stomach bothers me, I knowbitsnmost likely anxiety.

I love English muffins with peanut butter. I also love cutting up red potatoes and boiling them and eating them with italian dressing. Weird but strangely awesome! Haha. I also love to make various soups.

Water is so good for you, so try to get used to drinking it if you can. I had to train myself to drink water. I went from drinking none to drinking about 2 bottles of it a day. I started with one sip a day, then the next day, 2 sips, and so on and so forth. It really helps. And lemon in cold water is not a laxative. When I get bored of water, I add lemon and it's delicious. I also drink lemon and hot water and it hasn't been a laxative yet, so I don't think that's the case for everyone.

Leafy greens are not easily cross contaminated, especially not if you wash them. They're really good for you, and very tasty. I adore spinach, and lettuce. Salads are fantastic but they do challenge your digestive system. Maybe you need to eat some things that give your system a bit of a workout, not right away, but once your system is in better shape, y'know?

I love rice with different things thrown in. I love using aborio rice cooked up with corn, spinach, mushrooms, bacon, and tomatoes, delicious.

One of my hobbies is taking foods and looking at how to improve them and make them healthier, so if you've got any more questions, feel free to ask me, and I'm sure other members would be happy to put in as well.

Congrats on this decision, it's great to hear that you're taking this step
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm not quite sure why you're so worried about drinking water. If you live in the developed world, especially the US, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Canada etc or the non English speaking European countries you really should not have to worry about it too much, but a faucet or pitcher filter really does improve the taste quite a bit. You have to get used to it, but it's an important taste to acquire. Be careful about the lemonade or fruit juices since you have had some acid reflux problems, but you may get away with them just fine and if you can that's good, because they are 99+% water. They can help keep you from getting bored with water. Not sure about what to suggest for food, except that you need to eat something to feel decent, and that you should avoid anything you know you might be sensitive to. Beyond that, my diet is pretty unconventional as well,but I am surviving.

Good for you!!
    If you're appetite is small. Start with lighter foods. I find omelettes or boiled egg with toast (I personally don't digest whole meal bread well. Makes me feel ill for days!) Things like noodles, soup, crackers, ryvitas with ham on are good for lunch. Dinner for us is thing like stir frys, chicken and veg, chicken salad wraps. Basically never anything that sits heavy on the stomach.
    I don't much like water either. I just find it boring. I drink squash, but really need to drink more than I do!

Here are some links I have gathered as ideas for healthier options.

Snacks

http://www.womansday.com/_mobile/hea...ories?click=ht

Lunch ideas

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recip...-wrap-recipes/

If you are worried about water you can always purchase bottled or distilled. Here are some ideas to spice it up and eliminate the sugars without compromising taste .

http://www.theyummylife.com/Flavored_Water

Yay!! I know you don't want to eat leafy greens, but other things that I like are smoothies with yogurt, berries, bananas...really whatever you want to add! I sneak spinach in mine, but I know that's pushing it . I strongly suggest digestive enzymes and a good, strong probiotic. It is amazing how I feel lately, really!! I posted this in another thread, but I realized at my psych appt today that I have gone from taking 3-4 50 mg Vistaril a DAY (Jan-Feb of this year) to 3 in a MONTH. No kidding! We even cut my dose in half today because the last one knocked me out . I agree that if you tolerate breads well, there are plenty of healthy options. I am allergic to wheat, though, so that backfired for me . I am all about fruits, veggies, healthy fats, and cheese, etc now, and it is going great. Another plus-- I have no more bloating or "water weight," so I have list quite a few pounds. Usually when I am PMSing, I can gain up to 5 lbs right before I start. Weighed today at my nutritionist, and I am not only down 12 lbs since May (still very healthy weight & I am eating all the time lol), but I only gained 1/2 lb due to PMS this month. I'm telling you-- in my recent experience, nutrition is soooooo important! Way to go for making healthy choices and taking the steps to feeling better. As far as water, I know it's a little expensive, but I do drink bottled water. It's just easier for me to keep track of that way. Find where it's on sale, and I have been getting cases for 3-4 bucks. I feel kind of wasteful, but am just recycling the bottles. :/
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

Oh! FIT fruit & veggie wash is good if you venture down the "green" road . I soak ALL of my produce, rinse and spin dry in the salad spinner, then pat dry with paper towel. I also read somewhere that vinegar helps to kill parasites, etc, so I found a delicious oil & vinegar dressing I have been making. Makes me feel a bit better. Also, if you have all the good bacteria in your stomach, your immune system is stronger, and you are less likely to fall ill from food poisoning, anyway
    "A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." --Michel de Montaigne

Oh a lot of useful responses! Thank you guys for the suggestions! I'll respond more fully when I can think correctly so I'm sorry!

For living healthy life it is most important thing to eat and drink healthy. We should add healthy food in diet like fruits and vegetables and we should also drink fruit juice and clean water for health.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveAllen View Post
    For living healthy life it is most important thing to eat and drink healthy. We should add healthy food in diet like fruits and vegetables and we should also drink fruit juice and clean water for health.
    Reply must. Thanks.

Just wondering if any of you that eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies find them to make your acid and stomach problems worse. For me when I eat most fresh fruit it makes my acid reflux ten times worse. Most uncooked veggies make my intestines go nuts and cause pain. Is there any way to help them digest easier?

Quote Originally Posted by Natiebear View Post
    Just wondering if any of you that eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies find them to make your acid and stomach problems worse. For me when I eat most fresh fruit it makes my acid reflux ten times worse. Most uncooked veggies make my intestines go nuts and cause pain. Is there any way to help them digest easier?
    I have this problem too and I have now stopped eating fresh fruits and vegetables, only eat them cooked. My stomach can't take it.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Water is the best way to start. Lemon water is alkaline not acid and will help you to fight off sickness. Look it up. Stay away from sugar. Feeds bad bacteria. Eat lots of yogurt. This is a must. It promotes healthy bacteria to grow in your stomach to help you digest your food correctly and fight of bad bugs. Try getting a juicer and making juice, start with carrot apple. Your body gets all the nutrition of the fruits and vegetables but you don't have to fight the fiber. Once your stomach is accustomed to the raw vegetables you can try salad. Or steam your veggies if your afraid of germs being on them. Brown rice is also good. You'll be feeling good in no time. Happy eating!