Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default One Step Forward

I posted this in the main thread, but feel this should be posted here too. This gets less traffic, but it belongs here.

Okay, I had lunch this afternoon, just some dairy-free mac and cheese. After lunch, I went to close one of my windows since it's been cool outside lately (I have no idea what happened to the summer weather the past couple weeks) and the window got stuck. My hand slipped and I hit my elbow (funny bone) against the sill and a chest of drawers nearby. Right after, there was searing pain and for a minute I thought it'd just go away. Next thing I know I get this weird sensation in my throat like something it stuck in it and I feel dizzy. I left the room to get a drink for my throat and I knew I was going to gag. I did and I went outside, gagging a few times along the way. My thought was that some cool, fresh air could help the sensation. I really thought I might throw up once I was outside since I had just eaten, but yet I didn't panic like normal. I just went over to some bushes thinking that if I threw up, I didn't want others to have to see it. After heaving once more, I felt better. A lady came over and asked if I was okay. I said I was, that I just got choked. She asked if I needed anything and I asked if she could get the water I left by the steps. She did and I thanked her. We chatted for a moment and I felt fine and went back inside. After I sat down, I realized I didn't panic like I used to panic in similar situations. It was a little scary since I didn't know what happened and it came out of nowhere. I didn't even feel nauseous. I didn't throw up, but I had accepted that I might and that was enough to help me see that I am, slowly, getting better. One step forward, two steps back...today I took a giant step forward.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Default Re: One Step Forward

That's amazing! Indeed you took a giand step forward!

I'm glad to see someone posting something that inspires hope here
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Congratulations! That's fanatastic!

Can I ask you what brand of dairy free mac and cheese you ate? I am also dairy and gluten free. My husband makes amazing mac df and gf free mac and cheese from scratch, but it's very time consuming.

Amy's. It's actually quite good for not being real macaroni and cheese. I'd take it over Kraft Mac n Cheese any day.

Ahhhh I love Amy's Mac and cheese! I don't eat df or gf but I honestly enjoy Amy's more than other real Mac and cheese brands

Maybe it was caused by the pain of hitting your arm. Either way, you did great. Congrats to you!

I'm not gf, but the df brand is both df and gf. I used to like Stouffer's mac and cheese back when I could eat real cheese. Amy's is more expensive as all non-dairy items seem to be, but I do love it.

ewilkins, I believe it was caused by hitting the humerus/ulnar nerve(funny bone). It can cause weird reactions apparently, but it was very unexpected. May have been why I did well, because it happened so fast that I didn't have an option. Not sure still as stomach virus season rolls around again how I will react, but hoping I can handle it okay. People have been sinus infections and colds already and school/classes haven't even been in session for a month. It may be a long winter.

what a great feeling to have not totally panicked! well done