Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: very OT: Lice

Default very OT: Lice

So I just finished working at camp (yippy!) BUT, one of my campers hasn't come in the past 2 days. At first, his older sisters said he had a virus, and then they informed us that not only does he have a virus, but ALSO lice. So the last time I saw the kid was Friday, and he did not come to camp Monday or Tuesday (today). I didn't notice him itching on Friday but apparently my assistant counselors did.

Does anyone know the incubation period for lice? I'm trying to calm myself down by saying to myself that my head would've started to itch earlier than today if I got it from him, but my head is itching--I don't know if it's all in my head, but I had both my parents check my head, they said that didn't see anything, and not that it's a proper search, but I stood in front of the mirror myself and combed through my scalp.

My hair is always up at camp. But I know that that doesn't always prevent getting it.

I just want to know if I would've started to itch earlier than this, since I haven't seen the kid since Friday anyway.

I'm so freaked out!

Default Re: very OT: Lice

If you had even only ONE lice (louse, whatever..), u would feel it. I hope u dont get it, it will spread like crazy! Everyone needs to thoroughly wash all their clothes, sheets, etc..in HOT water!
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

I would think you would have seen signs of the lice by now. Apparently, lice cannot jump, only crawl. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/lice/head/ So unless you shared a towel or brush, you should be fine. I can understand your concerns. I would not want them either. On a personal note, I had a roommate who had private lice and I did not get them. She went home at the first sign of them and since she was nasty, I washed the room in Lysol and the bathroom, too. In fact, I think I used an entire bottle of lysol in my dorm room. Her bath towel hung right next to mine and I did not get them. However, I did sort of follow her around with a spray can of lysol after that. )

I can't tell if I'm just freaking out or if I really feel something in my hair. I feel like there is something crawling in my hair!!! I need my dad to do a better check for me tomorrow..

I suppose it can't hurt to get yourself some Rid and wash your hair with it. Is the rest of the family itching? they usually spread pretty easily within families.

my daughter had it a few years ago, and i'm still traumatized! you would know by now if you had it, ie someone would be able to see nits. you could totally be itching from thinking about it. took me 8 weeks to stop feeling itchy and crawly. do a treatment if it would calm your nerves.

IF you do end up having it..... Drench your hair in vegetable oil, wrap it up in a bag, sleep like that. Wash it out in the morning. It will take alot of washes..But the lice will definitely be gone or at least dead. Then comb it all very thoroughly. When I was a kid, I kept lice for three summers in a row. They would NOT go away. They somehow became immune to the RID shampoo. The grease works wonders!
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)