Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default what would make v* less 'scary' for you?

not sure scary most appropriate word, but emet inducing I suppose!

I think despite not wanting people around me if feel n*, if I did have that support I could imagine feeling less bad. Not that I'd feel 'bad' anyway (trying to beat this thought!)

Of course this is what I was lacking with my trigger experience... so it figures really.

What about for you?

Default Re: what would make v* less 'scary' for you?

I think a big thing that would make it less scary is if you didn't have to wait. Usually before you actually get sick you feel bad all day, and it builds up the suspense. Also if it didn't happen as often (and if you got an sv*, you would v* once and be done.) So basically if you got sick right when you didn't feel good and it wouldn't go on for long.

The nausea really bothers me and like previous poster , the waiting. Just that sitting and feeling so sick not knowing what is to come. That really gets me. Also, if it didnt come out with such force. I wish it just gently came out

The possibility that it could go on for hours is one of the things that scares me the most, so I think if I knew that I was only going to have to V* once and that would be it, it would be a lot less scary for me.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

Oh several things!

-Having a waiting period of only like, 60 seconds
    -The actual episode lasting 15 seconds
    -Only having to have 1 episode
    -Have it not hurting
    -Have it not accompany general malaise
    -Have it brought on by poison that can't be evacuated by the basement.
    -Having the ability to actually prevent it, but choose when to do so. (Cheating, but it would be awsome :/)

Just plain not having to do it. Every aspect of it is terrifying to me.
    M I D N I G H T

More control, like going to the bathroom. You have control over that. I think that shows how my fear originated, I don't like feeling out of control.
    SAHM to S (9), T (7), and E (2) - they make it all worth it!

Philippians 4:13 - I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

If I could truly in my heart and soul, believe it was just gross and perfectly harmless. Also, if it didn't feel so dang bad. It feels awful. It completely wipes a person out. For something supposedly harmless, it sure takes a toll on a body.

Quote Originally Posted by Mama76 View Post
    More control, like going to the bathroom. You have control over that. I think that shows how my fear originated, I don't like feeling out of control.
    I second this. The feeling of being out of control is really what I think I hate the most about the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace47 View Post
    If I could truly in my heart and soul, believe it was just gross and perfectly harmless.
    That's where I want to get to.

I do ram that thought into my head!!*

BTW, I don't think this thread is counter productive, Bluebell. Knowing what is at the base of our fear will help us move on and conquer it or at least tame it. I am trying to ram the gross but harmless thought through my head with varying success. I wish I could look at v like I look at slugs. Gross but harmless. Very few people ever die from v or slugs.

I would not be afraid if the puke didn't come out the mouth. I would OK with it if there were an orifice in the chest that only opened for vomiting. The worst part of vomiting is getting puke in your mouth.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I would feel better if I could escape my body until I was better... Lol. I literally dope myself up on Ativan and zofran and hope and pray and meditate for the best.
    Last time I was sick it was from an antibiotic... I was so pissed because I usually do really well and don't v... And after all the bugs and having two kids going to school/daycare, a darn pill made me sick... Two zofran didn't work. Neither did my Ativan... Oh and I even took a rectal compazine, I would seriously go to any length to feel better at that point... It's like I was drowning and looking for any life raft available, good for me or not...

Also I am so afraid it will happen more than once... That's terrible. If I knew it would be once and done i might have an easier time...
    and having kids, the suspense of not knowing if their just going to do it anywhere/anytime... If one of them feels ill I need help from my mom or husb... It's so shameful for me. And my husb usually yells and gets annoyed with me because I freak out so bad.
    I so wish I could be one of those normal people who think "it will be short lived, no big deal" ughhh

ah well, thanks for listening to my vent !!

me too - I find it really hard to thin of anything because everything about it is scary! I do know that it is a way less scary prospect if I am a) outside and b) totally alone. Perhaps one day I will understand why this is... maybe it is the key to my healing???

I don't tend to have a problem with myself v*, it is other people - particularly when I have to be around them...eg, kids (babysitting, i don't have my own), and the elderly (my workplace). And I can't even pinpoint what it is about it that I dislike/can't handle. If everyone could control where they v* it'd be better. But I don't want to hear/see it. I think I'd also feel better if I knew that everytime someone v* it was not a result of gastro. Gastro freaks me out because it is so easy to pass around. Starting to think I'm a germophobe...hopefully my sessions will figure out the root of the cause.

I also hate the lack of control. I told my mother this when I finally told her about my phobia (I had never told her or really anybody) and she laughed and said "there are so many things about your body you can't control, why be afraid of this one" and she is right. I can't control when I sneeze or even when I lose or gain weight but those things don't scare me.

And the waiting. The fact that I know something horrible is going to happen to me but having to wait for my body to be ready... (I cannot put something down my throat, my body does not react to that at all).