Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is this a stomach ulcer? Please help - 5 weeks of nausea!

Hi guys
    I'm gonna ask people on here cos I am now at my wits end and dunno what to do.
    Me and a friend had gastroenteritis after suspected food poisoning about 5 weeks ago now, but I'm not sure it was the cause of the gastroenteritis cos it came on mega suddenly whilst out shopping. Ever since I have been plagued by nausea and can't eat properly - every time I eat I feel like I'm gonna throw up. But if I don't eat my stomach burns like crazy. I also often have to sleep sitting up cos lying down flat makes me feel like I'm gonna throw up.
    Seen the doctor about 2 weeks ago and he said I had Gastritis (inflamed stomach lining) caused by the gastroenteritis I had 3 weeks previous! Apparently the other symptoms have settled down but the stomach clearly never did and you could feel it was tender and inflamed. Was put onto 2 tablets - one an anti inflammatory and the second an anti sickness that can be taken four times a day (thank god)! It was a 2 week course, which is just coming to the end. I have felt slightly more settled with them and the level of nausea has decreased to the point I can sometimes stand basic food, but is still there. I usually can't eat more then once a day and it has to be something light and basic. Not surprisingly I am starting to lose weight an am increasingly fatigued.
    My mum recognizes some of the symptoms because she had a stomach ulcer years ago, but friends have also suggested IBS (which my brother has). Looking online my symptoms would certainly match stomach ulcer and this past year has been incredibly stressful, but its the sort of symptom where there ae a hundred possible causes.
    But basically 5 weeks of nausea, basic food, and feeling like crap when your a severe emtophobic are really taking their toll now. I'm so fed up of it! 5 weeks! I've had god knows how many panic attacks, including 2 major ones cos of the nausea. And I go back to Uni in 2 weeks so I need to shake it by then!! Does anyone have any idea what this can be and what I can do to relive the symptoms? Anything at all?!
    I'm actually kinda sacred to go back to the docs in case he does suspect ulcer and orders an endoscopy - which is understandably like my worst nightmare - tube going down back of throat, don't care if it's numbed or not, aint gonna happen!
    Please any advice until I can get a docs appointment would be very much appreciated!
    Kind Regards
    Heather
    xx

Default Re: Is this a stomach ulcer? Please help - 5 weeks of nausea!

it sounds like you could have reflux. i would buy prevacid, pepcid...something like that, and take it daily. after several days, you should be able to tell if it is helping or not. it would also help if you do have an ulcer.

Default Re: Is this a stomach ulcer? Please help - 5 weeks of nausea!

Could definitely be gastritis caused by gastroenteritis. I first got ill with suspected gastritis back in Jan 2009. Finally got a positive diagnosis over a year later when I gave in & had the dreaded endoscopy. Long story short - I was & still am taking lansoprazole for stomach acid. I also take anti-emetics some prescribed by a dr others (phenergan) I buy online. Also have gaviscon medicine prescribed for me which helps with the heartburn. I still get regular bouts of feeling n* but on the whole it is much better. I was also prescribed a very high dose of antibiotics last year to treat a h-pylori infection (which is the commonest cause of stomach ulcers).