Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hi Sage,</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    <br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    I'm new here - thank's to Dr.Phil.</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    I didn't even know the name of what I had</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    until 2 days ago - let alone the exsistence of</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    these HUGE network societies dedicated</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    specifically to this problem that I have been</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    suffering from for about 30 years.</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    I think that systematic de-sensitization online </span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    is a great tool - I will try it when I think I'm ready.</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    I'm wondering how smells and textures are worked</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    in using this media. I absolutely can't tolerate these</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    aspects of v*. Do you have to physically be in contact</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    in order to be de-sensitized to these or are they dealt</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    with online?</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    I also have another, more personal and disturbing,</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    question - but is there a way to have a discussion with</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    you without it being on display for everyone to see?</span>[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]<br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    Please help me - I would appreciate any advice from you?</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    I've read some of your posts and you seem quite knowledgable</span>[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]<br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    Thanks,</span><br style="font-weight: bold; color: rgb(51, 51, 153);">
    want2live </span></font>

hey want2live,

thanks for the post. First of all, by referring to systematic desensitization online do you mean the exposure therapy links on this site? Pictures and videos? If the smell of vomit bothers you the most, there is a way to work up to that (I have some ideas, but more about that later, when you've reached that point)

You can talk to me privately by sending me a "Private Message". YOu have to click back one frame, then scroll down to the left of the screen and click on the Private Message link. When you log on next time, a box will come up and a voice that says you have a reply. But you still have to scroll down on either the left again, or the right on the homepage and click on the link to get into your PM box.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sage, I'd also love to hear your ideas on the "smell" aspect. I may put that in your hierarchy, probably right before the hospital portion. I'm going to see the hypnotherapist again today, and we're doing standardized tests to see what method of hypnotherapy/relaxation will work best for me (I currently use affirmations and progressive muscle relaxation). I'm kind of excited about doing the tests, I'd love to have more insight into myself.

I've been doing much better anxiety-wise the last couple of days. It's still there, but it only flares up for about 10 minutes at a time. I think at this point the Klonipin is a good idea. I don't want to take a benzo forever, but at least until I get stabilized so I can function.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Kel,

I'm so glad to hear that. I was really thinking you just needed some meds, but again, I don't give medical advice (especially online). Glad you came to that conclusion yourself. It will help you a lot. Then you can continue with your therapy, and eventually you won't need the meds.

As for smells, I was thinking about that all day. I'm wondering what the need is to desensitize to it. I mean, how often would you smell something that would make you panic? I guess I don't get it. If the smell of vomit makes you panic, then that makes sense. But once you desensitize to the whole idea of vomit, I doubt the smell would be much of a trigger. I know it wouldn't for me (whereas before, I would totally freak out if I smelled it somewhere). What COULD be a problem is smelling something else (like blue cheese or my son's baseball socks) and getting triggered. It would be easy enough to desensitize to that...but again, it probably wouldn't prove as fruitful as other treatments.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.