Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Just curious how many of u have partners? As i am a partner of somone with Emet, and i want to know if or how u guys/girls cope with it and having partners too?

I am the one with emet, and my boyfriend knows all about my phobia, and he is very understanding. I dated a guy once that told me I was crazy for having this phobia, so it is so refreshing to have someone that helps me when I am panicy. In fact, ever since I have started dating him, my emet has gotten better. He is so comforting, and does anything I need him too, like leave me alone, tell me I wont v* it I feel like it, and in fact, that has helped me to be less anxious cause I have the comfort of knowing that someone will care for me, which makes me less anxious and makes my emet better. If I didn't have him, I would be lost, and my emet would be out of control. Having a great, supportive, understanding partner makes all the difference in the world. At least it did for me. Really, having anyone that can help you cope makes a difference.

Michele

yes, i have a boyfriend who is very understanding. he doesnt literally
    UNDERSTAND but he tries to as uch as he can. he comforts me, although
    he gets frustrated. its hard for both of us
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

I'm single...although I do have a friend who would LIKE to be with me...problem is I'm a lesbian. I met this REALLY awesome girl a while back and we were totally hitting it off and then I told her about my EMET and she totally just backed away from me. She said it was nothing personal but she was a party girl and puked a lot and she didn't think we would get along very well. [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]I wish things could have worked out with her but they didn't. Anyway I wish I had someone who was like my best friend. He completely supports me when it comes to my Emet...I just need a girl that does the same.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

I am recently divorcerd, although I have a boyfriend. Divorces take so long nowadays! My b/f is very much aware of my phobia and he is learning slowly about panic attacks, ect. We have only been together for four months, but he is wonderful so far! Hoping that keeps up!

Crystal
    That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger!

I'm a lesbian too, and my gf is fantastic. She's so supportive,
    reassures me that I'm not going to v* if I feel sick, cooks things (and
    then cooks them for longer when I look a little unsure...) well...
    etc. She will also reassure me that my phobia isn't bothering her
    and that I'm not "a pain to handle". I'm always conscious that my
    worries/fears sound a bit daft, but she says she doesn't mind in the
    least. My emet has got better since being with her. I've
    travelled all over the country with her, I've been to London on my own,
    I've stayed over in various places, and gone out to eat lots.
    Just hope it continues like this... [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]

I'm a lesbian but also single, I'm happy to say thats nothing to do with emet. my Ex-Gf cp[ed with my phobia very well, sadly she had too many issues of her own and we broke up (not my idea ) My phobia improved when I met her, I travelled more, ate more. I'm happy to say I can still do these things single and thats cooool I'm not in a great rush to be with anyone again, but I hope when I am that the person is supportive of me.
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

I am engaged and have lived with my partner for around four years. He is in general understanding but sometimes gets frustrated with me for obsessing about v*. He doesn't suffer any phobias, he's not scared of much, and he's never suffered depression or anxiety attacks, so I guess it's very difficult for him since he's never suffered anything similar even. He does try and protect me, if we are out and he sees somebody v* - he'll try and distract me so I don't see, so that's something!
    .•:*¨¨*:•.Tracey.•:*¨¨*:•.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
    - Japanese proverb

I am a newly wed (4 weeks yesterday) and my husband is a star. He has never made me feel bad for having this phobia and tries his best to understand how this affects me.
    Today is the tomorrow I dreaded yesterday and I\'m ok.

I've been living with my bf for about 18 months and he knows everything about my emet and supports me and comforts me all the way. He does not truly understand my phobia as he seems to have no fears himself but the fact that he understands that i have a phobia and it is very real and frightening for me, is really enough. He has been great and seen me at my worst and is still in love with me so i really can't ask for much more, bless him!

What is it with these men who have no phobias/fears? My b/f also seems to fear nothing. At one point he said if he had something (like me, i guess) that he would be even more determined to fight it. Like I'm not?!!!! Later though, he explained that he wasn't putting me down (that's howI took it), that that was him. As i explain and talk to him, he understands better, and gets more empathetic about it. Don't you wish that you could have that feeling of have NO fears, of anything???[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] Wonder what that is like?

Crystal

Our society socializes men to bury their fears, along with many other emotions. They have fears, but it's just "unmanly" to admit them.

They don't generally have the fear of being raped though to the extent that women do, so that must make for a different life, I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by crystalmom

What is it with these men who have no phobias/fears? My b/f also seems to fear nothing. At one point he said if he had something (like me, i guess) that he would be even more determined to fight it. Like I'm not?!!!! Later though, he explained that he wasn't putting me down (that's howI took it), that that was him. As i explain and talk to him, he understands better, and gets more empathetic about it. Don't you wish that you could have that feeling of have NO fears, of anything???[img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img] Wonder what that is like?

Crystal

Well im a man and i have fears/phobias so not all of us have none

I celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary yesterday by going to the CNE - a giant annual carnival/amusement park/fair - with my husband and kids and friends with their kids. (don't get me wrong, we also went out for a nice childless dinner the night before). This was my idea....and we ate our way through and had a blast.

My husband not only has some anxiety and fears, which he deals with extremely well most of the time, he is also a social worker who does some counselling, including with a client who suffers from emetophobia. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I also have a very supportive family.

This year our 6 year-old daughter started to show some signs of emetophobia and some panic and I'm proud to say that we dealt with it extremely well, including phoning my wonderful therapist on a Sunday to talk about it, etc., and while she still asks a lot of questions about her health, the crisis seems to have passed for now, and she went on all the rides yesterday, ate a ton, came off a ride and told me she'd thought she was going to puke for a second while she was on the ride, so we high fived each other and she told me later that it was definitely her favourite ride. And she starts grade one tomorrow, and is really cool and excited about it, even though she's going to a french immersion school and will be spoken to only in french from day one (she currently knows about 2 words of french, as do most of the kids in her class).

Sorry to ramble, it's just one of those days (hubby and kids are out, I actually have time to write).
    <font size=\"4\"><font color=MAGENTA><font face=\"Times New Roman, Times, serif\">It can, and does, get better with time.</font></font></font>

Just to clarify, I wasn't meaning to say that NO men have phobias and fears. Just that it seems like there are so many who don't have them. I'm sure they fear many things, but not in the way we do, as women. I KNOW my b/f has fears, but they aren't about heights or spiders or anything like that. They go more along the lines of "rational" fears like having a child and losing it. Someone close to him dying. I'm not sure why alot of men don't have phobias about other things. I do agree though that are taught at a young age to surpress them. Even my son is being told by men in his life that he needs to be "tough" (although myself and my mother try to tell him it's ok to feel and to have emotion). Just some thoughts.

Crystal

Ud be surprised how many men do have non-rational fears and phobias. Its just not put up for viewing in the same light as womens. Not quite sure y. But there are almost as many men seeking help for fears and phobias as there are women.

its a fact of life that more women than men are treated for fears and phobias, apart from social phobia i think. both sexes are estimated to get that 50/50.

But fears like this one, or other especially neurotic ones like agoraphobia are usually a female based illness.

Probably due to the stereotypes and reputations around in society. im not gnna get into this discussion now.

i've got the statistics if u want to see them! im not talking out my ass.

Jen xxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All and I do mean all of my previous relationships in the past didn't work out at all because of the phobia. I didn't know I had a phobia so I was just plain weird. Than I found out that I have a phobia and that I am not alone and my relationship is just fine.

I'm single but there are a bunch of boys in my life that want to date me and there is one in particular that i like more than the rest, but unfortuanatly I completely embarrased my self in front of him yesterday when I had a panic attack cause I thought I was going to be sick. I wish I could take it back.

As for the whole gender thing. I think women are allowed and encouraged to express themselvves more than men are. But when men talk a LITTLE about what scares them, women LOVE IT. but if they talk too much, then women are put off by it. Its hard to explain.

Single &gt;.&gt; - and yea, dudes have phobia's to :P (im a dude &gt;.&gt

Im single at the moment as Im going through a divorce, which I am glad of.

My 3 year wedding anniversary is December 6. Hubby doesn't understand emetophobia very much, yet he tries to be sympathetic to me. He has no phobia whatsoever, so he can't even begin to relate. Since we have been together, I have not *v* (knock on wood) and am dreading the day it happens.

Jess

I am single and miserable.
    "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."

I'm married &amp; my husband goes back &amp; forth with being understanding about it--he's a man though &amp; is helpful when HE feels like it &amp; if I'm not inconveniencing him--like the day I got rotten ham on my sandwich at his work. . . . . he can't stand for me to complain about food smells, tastes or EXPIRATION dates!!! He tries to help me w/ the kids when they v****--as long as he's not too tired. He is soooo not an emet-he says he actually LIKES to barf sometimes because it gives his stomach muscles a workout--go figure!!!!!!!!!!

Another dude (male) with phobia

No girlfriend. Its next to immpossible to go out and talk to girls with this phobia pulling me back. I went out to a gig a while ago and got talking to a girl. She seemed really nice, during the conversation i started to feel really sick. Had to leave, typical[img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it