Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Re: What would you give up to lose your ability to vomit?

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyfreelife View Post
    I read the entire thread. I just don't see how what anyone said was fascist or self-important. The original question wasn't the problem and my answer would honestly be nothing. Vomiting is important, so I will keep it. I'm the problem, not vomit. The problem was with the paragraph underneath that perpetrates the idea that's the root of this phobia, that vomiting is wrong. I'm seeing a lot of words getting thrown around like pretentious, fascist, etc and that's what is making this thread into something ridiculous. I'm usually adapt at detecting harsh replies and rudeness, but I am just not seeing the problem. People were trying to tell SVS that they were wrong and here's why and that such information is feeding into the fear, not helping it. I don't think they were mean about it, but whatever. What SVS said is wrong and this is not the first time I've seen him or her react in a harsh and critical way when someone said something they think or did is wrong.
    In that case, isn't your sig which says you havn't vomited in 8 years feeding the fear too? Should all panic posts be stopped because they feed the fear?
    You know what.. I don't really care, it just pissed me off to read how one or two people spoke to SVS.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Default Re: What would you give up to lose your ability to vomit?

Quote Originally Posted by jptk View Post
    In that case, isn't your sig which says you havn't vomited in 8 years feeding the fear too? Should all panic posts be stopped because they feed the fear?
    You know what.. I don't really care, it just pissed me off to read how one or two people spoke to SVS.
    No. It's a reminder of my own health. It says since I had a sv, not since I vomited. I tend to vomit every time I have a bad cold actually thanks to choking on mucous (tmi, I know). I get one cold a year usually, around January or February. A sig about how long since someone was sick says different things for different people. I could make a sig about strep as well. It's been 14 years since I had strep. It's been 13 years since I had an ear infection. I was actually debating changing my sig to a Halloween countdown since Halloween is my favorite holiday.
    What is bad here is lying. Telling lies feeds the fear unnecessarily. This forum should be to help people/each other to get through hard phobia moments and to work on getting better so life will get better for us, lies about vomiting don't help anyone and SVS was lying, even though it wasn't intentional. I believe that SVS believes what s/he said and that they do really want to believe that it can be controlled all the time. SVS seems to be having a lot of struggle with his or her fear(s) and depression and while they are doing better, I think when the truth comes out, they understandably get upset because it has ruined their notion, their safe-zone. Stepping out of it is very, very hard, but we all have to do things that break that comfort zone, that shatter our preconceived notions of fact. Not just with phobias, but life in general. Think of the child who was deadset that Santa was real only to be told that Santa isn't real and no one lives in the North Pole and flying reindeer don't exist. It's kinda like that.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream