Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Re: What would you give up to lose your ability to vomit?

With what Grace is saying though, more people could lose their lives from heart attacks and other serious illness because vomiting is a way of the body telling us that there's something wrong. So we could lose. We could lose a lot.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Agree with you Kaydee. There's a reason we vomit. Humans aren't the only ones who vomit either. Babies vomit (spit up) after each meal. It's a bodily function and it doesn't exist just because it can. I wish my nose wouldn't itch because there's no point to it in my mind. I wish mucous didn't exist because I hate allergies and I'm sick of having a stuffy and runny nose. There's no need for mucous to have to exit this way, so it'd be best if it didn't happen. There's absolutely zero reason to have pain with menstrual cycles too. It's all mind over matter though, right? I can stop myself from ever sneezing again. I can prevent the horrendous pain if I just think that way.
    Of course, speaking of mind over matter, if it's that strong and you believe it is, why not use to help combat the phobia instead of enable it? Truth is that fear is indeed mind over matter while illness and severe pain is not always such.
    Vomiting is a symptom of many illnesses, including many serious illnesses. Vomiting is a signal usually, even when it comes to food borne illnesses, stomach viruses and even alcohol. Even with poisons/toxins, vomiting DOES attempt to expel it. Emetics are given to help speed the process when it's known what vomiting will help, but emetics are not always necessary because a person can start to vomit right away after consumption. Vomiting occurs when something, anything irritates the stomach.
    I used to think the same thing though, about how I wish vomiting didn't exist and it didn't really need to exist, but when I stopped letting the fear rule what it is fact, I am now less about the lack of need for vomit. I may hate it and still fear it, but I try to remember that almost everyone dislikes vomiting and it's an unpleasant experience for almost everyone. It looks gross, it smells gross, it feels gross to happen, but it exists for a reason and it's not to make life hell.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

almost anything to be quite honest with you.