Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question What would you give up to lose your ability to vomit?

I'd give up playing the Violin haha! Without vomiting, I'd only fear uhm... ahh... not much else.

As some of us know, Vomiting is a learnt response and rarely actually saves lives. By the time your body vomits -- unless given an emetic -- you most likely absorbed enough poison to be considered dangerous. With enough awareness, vomiting can be ignored (albeit food born illnesses, but that can still be avoided). What I'm saying is, giving up the ability to vomit wouldn't likely bring you into some sort of dangerous outcome with enough awareness.

Default Re: What would you give up to lose your ability to vomit?

Vomiting is not a learned response. Vomiting is a primitive thing.

And sometimes it does save lives. I'd rather have my ability to vomit just in case I do need to one day, even if the chance is slim, than risk not having it there if I need it, not vomit and die one day because I couldn't.

This thread is really quite counterproductive, to be honest.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't think this thread is really appropiate, because you are just feeding people's anxiety
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one

I agree with the others. Vomiting is indeed bad, but if we do, it's for good. We don't vomit unless there's something wrong. It lasts 30 seconds and you feel much better after you're done.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

OMG wow guys. Whatever. I know what i'm talking about and vomiting only saves lives very rarely. VERY rarely.

Please explain how this is counter productive. Seriously.

I suppose the "what would make v* less 'scary' for you?" thread is less counterproductive? There are too many posts that are counter productive here, so why start on mine?

I admit my thread was not the best of threads either. But I was just wondering I suppose, what people would say :/.

I don't remember learning how to puke?

This thread isn't so much counterproductive but it's just severely lacking common sense

Maybe the OP could have worded it differently, but I have seen way more counterproductive threads than this one! You really should not jump down their throat or make them feel like crap. I don't participate in many discussions on here anymore and this is mainly why. Everyone has turned so hostile lately. What purpose did it serve to tell them that their thread is "lacking common sense" besides putting them down for dreaming??? I know a lot of people who do not feel comfortable posting on here anymore because of a select few always making people feel like their thoughts and opinions are wrong. Get over yourselves! Anyone that knows me knows that I am not usually one to speak out on here about things like this, but I have had enough and needed to put my two cents in!
    Everyone needs someone who understands!

Whoa.

No one shot down her dreams of not throwing up. That'd be great! But it's nothing we "learn" and the OP not only worded herself poorly, it's not even really true. Vomiting may not be a life saver but its not dangerous. And I have witnessed handfuls of instances where vomiting got poisons out. It's not really rare...

You may be sick of the harshness but I'm sick of people defending nonsense
    Last edited by JadeNight; 08-29-2013 at 06:03 PM.

If you don't like a thread, don't comment on it! There is no need to put someone down! i'm not defending what they wrote in the thread. i'm defending the way a few of you talk to people. There is a more tactful way to tell someone your opinion than to be so rude about it
    Everyone needs someone who understands!

bit of an over reaction here, was a fairly innocent lighthearted question
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

I think it was more of a curiosity question. I didn't take any offense to it. Truthfully if it wasnt medically necessary for me to V* again, I would give up pretty much anything except my child. I see where you were coming from.

I have no words lol, this is absolutely ridiculous. Scold me all you want but at the end of the day what the what the OP wrote isn't even a fact. Vomiting isn't a skill that you learn to avoid. This just makes people feel like if they do vomit they're in the wrong and they need to be "taught" right. Which isn't right at all.

Please point out where people were rude?

JadeNight, as much as I agree with you and KaydeeJayde, I ask you please to see how your words sound. When THE thread happened months ago, 13 people were rude with me (yes, I keep a list). You weren't one of them, but I felt hurt. I believe the OP must be feeling hurt as well
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

Learned response as in learned over time. Another similar way to phrase it would be we evolved to vomit. I don't know where you guys took that as learned as in learning your native language. Do you really think I'm that dumb?

I'm not going to answer your last question but im going to pose another: We also evolved to have arms and legs, the ability to speak, etc. would you give those up too?

Ana, I get what you're saying but this isn't rudeness. Sometimes the truth needs to be told and someone not being gentle and babying isn't particularly being rude. I get what you mean though.

Similar, but not the thing I was trying to show. Walking in general isn't painful and using our arms isn't an unpleasant adventure so I'm missing the point. Like I said, Losing the ability to vomit would rarely cost others lives.

I believe you meant an instinctive response. If you're going to spout rubbish, at least make it well informed. You know what is a learned response though? Emetophobia

And if you're going to call me rude, talk to my friends, I'm blunt and sarcastic even with the people I like, so take that however you want

Okay whatever. At least I know who to avoid here now.

I would give up anything, but my kids But I believe I can go the rest of my life without vomiting. For me, it's always mind over matter.... And God
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

I wouldn't give up anything. I have already given up enough thanks to having MS. However, I might give up something never to have sv or fp again. V is bad enough without feeling so dang crappy. I can have d and not feel so bad and be able to get things done, but v lays me flat out.

V is often a sign something else is going on in the body and v may be the first symptom people don't blow off. For example, in rare instances (rare meaning of all the v incidences in life - not for heart attack victims), v can be a sign of heart attack or exhaustion. Just today, hubby told me one of his friends was v*ing. Because this guy has lots of heart problems and has had a previous heart attack, my immediate thought was it was something to do with his heart.

Just today, I read an article about a woman whose mother was not a complainer and it wasn't until she v*ed that her daughter realized there was something really wrong and took her to the hospital where she had a life saving quadruple bypass.

So even if v is harmless, although really unpleasant, it is a wake up call. It's one of many ways, the body has of saying "Hey! Pay attention! Something's going on here!"

I, for one, want that warning sign whether it's mine or someone else's. However, sv and fp I could definitely live without.

Well said, Grace I honestly hadn't thought of it in that way before.

Thanks Kaydee!
    Last edited by Grace47; 08-30-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry you had to see that, that's so much for a child to deal with at 12

I removed what I said because I thought it might alarm people. Witnessing heart attacks is not something you see everyday. Just because I saw one, doesn't mean everyone does.

Of course not. Either way, that's really difficult. I'll admit also I didn't know that heart conditions could cause vomiting, so that's something new I've learned and it could come in handy to know that one day.

I just don't hear about people vomiting from serious issues as much as I'm hearing here and on Skype. Alcohol and Food borne related illness lead the most common reasons behind an emetic episode... by a lot.
    If the human race all of the sudden couldn't vomit, or lost the ability to vomit, we wouldn't miss much. At all.

(unless you're irresponsible with your alcohol haha!)

With what Grace is saying though, more people could lose their lives from heart attacks and other serious illness because vomiting is a way of the body telling us that there's something wrong. So we could lose. We could lose a lot.