Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: What would you give up to lose your ability to vomit?

Vomit isn't as common indicator of an oncoming infarction in comparison to most other indications. Even then, if you're vomiting, you're likely, very likely to be suffering other issues that key into your state of health.

EXACTLY! Those other issues could be JUST as bad as suffering a heart attack!
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Horses can't v and they can also die of overeating. I'd rather v than die because I overindulged on Thanksgiving. True, the vast majority of v is drug and alchol related. Because those people have pushed themselves over the line into alchol/drug poisoning which they very well could die of if they had not v*ed. I did say the vast majority of v was not related to serious illness.

People will ignore or misunderstand pain or other symptoms, but v is the symptom that will not be ignored. It's in our best interests that we can v. It's not pleasant. It's gross. But it is something that has worked out for us as a species and many other mammalian species.

V is also not learned. My newborn, fresh out of the womb baby, v*ed for over 12 hours directly after she was born. In fact, I'm told that v*ing is not uncommon among c-section babies because they have not been through the birth canal to squeeze out the excess fluid like babies born vaginally. Newborn babies are not old enough to have learned anything outside mommy's and any one she lives with voices. And no one teaches a newborn to v. Just ask my husband about newborns and v! No one says "okay baby, this is how you v." Babies are very, very good at v with no instruction at all. Ask any mom or dad.

I explained what I meant when I said learned response. We, over time and over generations, have learned to vomit for certain stimuli. The amount of people who would die from the lack of vomiting is FAR outweighed by the negative effects vomiting can have.

Seriously. You guys really took a question and threw it off of a waterfall. It wasn't a big deal and nobody is others saviors, so stop trying to protect people. "counter productive"

If you had that much of a FUCKING problem, PM me. Is that so fucking hard? A few people here are WAY to pretentious because you've been here a while. Seriously. I'm not gonna take it anymore.

Whoa, no need to get nasty. None of us were nasty with you. Sarcastic, yes, but just chill out. There's no need for the swearing.

I might come across as pretentious to you right here but only because you're spouting drivel and people are disagreeing with you. The amount of times you've contradicted yourself on this thread alone is disastrous.

Chill, breathe. Just because you're being disagreed with, doesn't mean it's the end of the world.

Come on guys, this is a friendly online community!
    Everyone has different views from others; so its enevitable that there will be disagreements sometimes.
    If you don't like what someone has posted, it's better not to comment to keep things peaceful. Everyone has a right to disagree, but it's better not to say anything in that case

~Those painful memories are what can help us make it to tomorrow, and become stronger. That goes for everyone - every human has that power within them. Walk tall. And, I, too will keep walking tall, ever onwards!~

I agree xKawaii! If you feel the need to be sarcastic and hurt someone's feelings, then don't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Camanja05 View Post
    I agree xKawaii! If you feel the need to be sarcastic and hurt someone's feelings, then don't comment.
    But then where would people go to get their sense of self righteousness?
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Quote Originally Posted by jptk View Post
    But then where would people go to get their sense of self righteousness?
    Don't you think this is a little ironic? You're bitching about people being sarcastic (which I was, and have admitted a few times here, because that's just the way I am) and self righteous (which I wasn't, not any more than any of you are being), but here you are, being completely sarcastic and self-righteous. Go figure.

This place is completely ridiculous. There's one set of rules for one group of people and a completely different one for others. This whole damn thing arose because I corrected some incorrect information. That's it. That's all I did. Oh, and I called the thread counterproductive... Sorry, y'all should probably take me out somewhere and shoot me for being such a terrible person. Psh, please.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Don't you think this is a little ironic? You're bitching about people being sarcastic (which I was, and have admitted a few times here, because that's just the way I am) and self righteous (which I wasn't, not any more than any of you are being), but here you are, being completely sarcastic and self-righteous. Go figure.

This place is completely ridiculous. There's one set of rules for one group of people and a completely different one for others. This whole damn thing arose because I corrected some incorrect information. That's it. That's all I did. Oh, and I called the thread counterproductive... Sorry, y'all should probably take me out somewhere and shoot me for being such a terrible person. Psh, please.
    An eye for an eye etc.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Ah I'm only being half serious, no serious offence intended

Oh and I did not know that Horses couldn't V* Grace. I wonder why that is? That is interesting.

How is correcting shitty information self righteous? according to the OP day one of humans they couldn't throw up, we taught ourselves to. I guess we taught ourselves how to pee and poop too. It doesn't just happen like a normal bodily function. Seriously?

SVS we aren;t "pretentious" because of our duration on IES. But please, check your facts..

Ha, get over yourself

Quote Originally Posted by JadeNight View Post
    How is correcting shitty information self righteous? according to the OP day one of humans they couldn't throw up, we taught ourselves to. I guess we taught ourselves how to pee and poop too. It doesn't just happen like a normal bodily function. Seriously?

SVS we aren;t "pretentious" because of our duration on IES. But please, check your facts..
    Last edited by jptk; 08-30-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Can we all just forget about this? Please stop arguing

~Those painful memories are what can help us make it to tomorrow, and become stronger. That goes for everyone - every human has that power within them. Walk tall. And, I, too will keep walking tall, ever onwards!~

"How is correcting shitty information self righteous? according to the OP day one of humans they couldn't throw up, we taught ourselves to."

I would have said instinctive response, but it would have collided with my point. Again. If you had a problem with this, PM me. Just because you don't think you're being rude or pretentious, doesn't mean it is fact.

Agree with you Kaydee. There's a reason we vomit. Humans aren't the only ones who vomit either. Babies vomit (spit up) after each meal. It's a bodily function and it doesn't exist just because it can. I wish my nose wouldn't itch because there's no point to it in my mind. I wish mucous didn't exist because I hate allergies and I'm sick of having a stuffy and runny nose. There's no need for mucous to have to exit this way, so it'd be best if it didn't happen. There's absolutely zero reason to have pain with menstrual cycles too. It's all mind over matter though, right? I can stop myself from ever sneezing again. I can prevent the horrendous pain if I just think that way.
    Of course, speaking of mind over matter, if it's that strong and you believe it is, why not use to help combat the phobia instead of enable it? Truth is that fear is indeed mind over matter while illness and severe pain is not always such.
    Vomiting is a symptom of many illnesses, including many serious illnesses. Vomiting is a signal usually, even when it comes to food borne illnesses, stomach viruses and even alcohol. Even with poisons/toxins, vomiting DOES attempt to expel it. Emetics are given to help speed the process when it's known what vomiting will help, but emetics are not always necessary because a person can start to vomit right away after consumption. Vomiting occurs when something, anything irritates the stomach.
    I used to think the same thing though, about how I wish vomiting didn't exist and it didn't really need to exist, but when I stopped letting the fear rule what it is fact, I am now less about the lack of need for vomit. I may hate it and still fear it, but I try to remember that almost everyone dislikes vomiting and it's an unpleasant experience for almost everyone. It looks gross, it smells gross, it feels gross to happen, but it exists for a reason and it's not to make life hell.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream

Don't mean to come off as an ass, but you've lost me.

I believe she means everything happens for a reason. Vomiting is not a bad thing. Like our friend said, it smells bad, tastes bad, feels bad, but afterwards, we feel much better because what was making us sick is out of our body. I could get all the examples dairyfreelife gave us and explain you why they happen, but my English isn't good enough when it comes to reactions and body parts (and complicated names, and everything else :P )

Oh, I remember something now that may help you to realize that humans didn't learn how to vomit. I learned it in Biology a few weeks ago: Exocytosis: When a cell directs the contents of secretory vesicles out of the cell membrane.
    Take a look at the picture and tell me what it remembers you: http://kenpitts.net/bio/images/exocytosis.gif

I know it's not much of a point, but see, even our cells get rid of what they don't need somehow.

However, I think that if you want us to understand you, I'd love to see the link from where you've learned that vomit is something we learn.
    Tick tock, time is passing and so is your life. Enjoy it while you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bellini View Post
    I believe she means everything happens for a reason. Vomiting is not a bad thing. Like our friend said, it smells bad, tastes bad, feels bad, but afterwards, we feel much better because what was making us sick is out of our body. I could get all the examples dairyfreelife gave us and explain you why they happen, but my English isn't good enough when it comes to reactions and body parts (and complicated names, and everything else :P )

Oh, I remember something now that may help you to realize that humans didn't learn how to vomit. I learned it in Biology a few weeks ago: Exocytosis: When a cell directs the contents of secretory vesicles out of the cell membrane.
    Take a look at the picture and tell me what it remembers you: http://kenpitts.net/bio/images/exocytosis.gif

I know it's not much of a point, but see, even our cells get rid of what they don't need somehow.

However, I think that if you want us to understand you, I'd love to see the link from where you've learned that vomit is something we learn.
    Yes, there's reason for things. Do I really need to sneeze? No, but there's a reason I sneeze. Something has irritated the nasal and now it is trying to expel it how it knows how...sneezing. Same thing with vomit, though sneezing is not as nerve-wracking as vomit for the majority. It can hurt to sneeze and it doesn't feel that great and some people find mucous quite disgusting, but it happens. Do I need to feel all this awful pain when my cycles come around and even at other random times? No, but there's a reason the pain exists. It was an indication of a larger problem and said pain was so bad I would feel like I might become sick, which was when I realized I couldn't take the pain any longer and needed help. That lead to doctor appointments where it was discovered that I most likely have a condition called endometriosis. The pain is most likely from scarred tissue in places it is not supposed to be, which has led to the severe pain I was always feeling (and still feel). Surgery is the best hope and because I discovered this young, I have a better chance to get help before serious infertility problems occur. Though the pain was horrendous and still can be awful at times, it was a sign from my body that something was amiss. Vomit is similar and can often be an indication of wider problem.
    I don't believe it is all mind over matter as someone else stated. The idea that you can control vomiting and therefore if you get sick, you were somehow weak. Part of my fear of vomit is the lack of control as well, so I get the desire to believe it is always controllable. However, instead of trying so hard to stop yourself from vomiting using mind over matter, why not use mind over matter to help get rid of the phobia instead of feeding this irrational fear?

Okay now I'm triple lost

Oh and I don't have an eidetic memory -- I can't recall things that easily. Instead of proving my point wrong, how about bringing up reasons why it wasn't an instinctive evolutionary change.

I have a better idea! How about letting this thread die? Like I said, there was no reason for your ardent arouse against the thread. If you disliked it, then let it go.

Oh wait! A better idea! Explain how this thread is counter productive! I still don't understand how this thread is feeding the phobia anymore than actually being on this site.

OMG OMG

I can't

Vomiting is a natural response not a learned response. End of story. Preventing vomiting can be a learned response.

I puked a lot as a newborn. No one taught me how to puke. It was natural instinct, the way I was designed by my Creator.

IMO the first human v at some point in their life. Prob from the first time they ate a berry that was poisonous or had improperly stored food.

Hate and negativity can destroy you if you feed it and let it fester.
    Last edited by Cynna; 08-30-2013 at 11:25 PM.

Kick emets a....

Quote Originally Posted by jptk View Post
    Ha, get over yourself

lmao, I can't. That's all you can really say?

I've already said that it was intended as learned over time as in evolution. We "Evolved" to vomit.

Again, just let this die or talk about it in PMs. I'm personally done with this site so thank you for helping me, but I can't keep myself associated with people with 2 faces.

2 faces, lol! I've tried so hard to help you at times and I'm 2 faced, everyone here has, but you don't listen to advice, which is fine, but then don't be surprised when people get irritated. And you seemed like you were doing well, eating better, drinking. If you're going to leave, please keep all of that up. I don't have time to post why this thread is counterproductive or why vomiting is not a learned thing right now, but I'll probably explain it to you (again) when I'm home on a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeNight View Post
    lmao, I can't. That's all you can really say?
    No, there is a lot I could say, but id rather not give you a reason to post more

I'm confused by this thread. The OP posts this in a public thread and is now mad when someone disagrees? SVS, based on other threads, has had a lot of issues dealing with people who disagree with her/him. Saying that what someone says isn't true is not being pretentious or 2-faced. It seems that the OP is frustrated that people are giving opposing opinions and now wants this thread to just go away. What evidence is there that vomiting is an evolved human response? AnaB posted how it's probably not, but I haven't seen a peer-reviewed scientific link to how vomiting is something that came over time in humans. On the contrary, advancement of species probably gave way for vomiting as a necessary precaution when more complex digestive systems evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bellini View Post
    Exocytosis: When a cell directs the contents of secretory vesicles out of the cell membrane.
    Emptying vesicles is fun!
    To learn more about emetophobia, see

Quote Originally Posted by Dairyfreelife View Post
    I'm confused by this thread. The OP posts this in a public thread and is now mad when someone disagrees? SVS, based on other threads, has had a lot of issues dealing with people who disagree with her/him. Saying that what someone says isn't true is not being pretentious or 2-faced. It seems that the OP is frustrated that people are giving opposing opinions and now wants this thread to just go away. What evidence is there that vomiting is an evolved human response? AnaB posted how it's probably not, but I haven't seen a peer-reviewed scientific link to how vomiting is something that came over time in humans. On the contrary, advancement of species probably gave way for vomiting as a necessary precaution when more complex digestive systems evolved.
    That's exactly what I think. When you post something on a public forum, you have to be prepared for people to call you out if you post misinformation. You can't just tell people that they should ignore it because you've posted it publicly.

The thread is counterproductive because it perpetuates the notion that is widely subscribed to on here that vomiting is somehow wrong or unnatural, and it is something that our bodies do to work against us. It's not. it's part of being human. It's a weird, unpleasant part of being human, yes, but it's something that sometimes, we have to do to survive, and that's more important than a stupid fear!