Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Panicking

Default Panicking

please tell me i won't throw up! last night i had a bit of a stomach ache and some gas, i took a bit of pepto bismol and it went away. this morning i woke up and got in the shower. when i was in the shower i noticed that i was feeling kind of lightheaded and dizzy. when i got out of the shower i went back to my dorm room and i felt really shaky and sweaty and kind of nauseous. Yesterday i was pretty constipated, but this morning i went to the bathroom and my poop was normal. a few minutes later i felt the sudden need to have diarrhea and went to the bathroom and had some pretty watery diarrhea.... that has happened twice now. I haven't been exposed to anyone with a stomach virus or anything like that i don't think. Like no one in my dorm has been sick... i guess i could have gotten something from the caffeteria food... but then other people would also be sick... it just doesn't make sense. i dont think the diarrhea is caused by anxiety either. i also just got an email from my teacher saying that class is canceled because she is sick. i hope it's not a stomach virus! Thanks guys!

Default Re: Panicking

Diarrhea is absolutely onset by nerves. Sounds like IBS to me! I get it often when I get anxious, so much so that I lose weight. It's not a sv*, you would feel much, much worse and already have been v*ing. You're fine. Your teacher could have anything, a cold, strep throat, you name it! OR, she could have nothing and just be at home watching chick flicks eating ice cream! You are A-OK!

Default Re: Panicking

First... the signs of an oncoming panic attack are hot and cold flashes, upset stomach and changes in your bowels. These can cause you to sweat, feel nauseous, feel lightheaded/dizzy and give you an uncontrollable need to use the restroom. Usually if the anxiety has come on very quickly, you will have diarrhea. The important thing for you to do is use the restroom, put a cold rag on your head if possible and breathe in through your nose, and out through your mouth. Do this a minimum of 15 times, but up to 30 or 45 if necessary - until you feel a sense of relief or normalcy returning. Panic attacks, when not controlled right away, come in waves every few minutes - and that is what will make you think something is "really" wrong because it's not going away. You have to focus on breathing (I know it may sound stupid, it really DOES work if you focus). AND use the restroom - it helps calm your intestines. You are not sick.