Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Question about areas in the US, do certain areas have NV more than others?

Hi, I currently live in Ohio, and norovirus seems to be here alot. I am always hearing about people being sick, of course more so in the winter, but now even in the summer. I have 2 kids, and I am a big emet, working on trying to improve. But, we have the opportunity to go to Phoenix, Az over the winter to help a family member. I wondered if any one knows if there is a good study somewhere that shows how different areas compare in the amount of noro cases, and if certain areas have it more or not. Also, if anyone knows about Phoenix if it had noro as much because of the sun & heat? Thank you all

Default Re: Question about areas in the US, do certain areas have NV more than others?

I think that warmer areas don't have massive outbreaks because the warmer the weather, the more chance that people are outside and not incubating with others. I don't there has been much here either, and it's been cold here (around Maine and new Hampshire) that i know of for the last few years.

Default Re: Question about areas in the US, do certain areas have NV more than others?

I lived in Phoenix for a year and I say go. Winters there are so pleasant and it's beautiful there. Even if there is sv going around, it's so sunny and nice, it's easier to put out of your mind. I don't know if some states get it worse than others, but Arizona sure is nice in the winter.

She does make a good point! Sounds stupid but, i'd rather have Summer being the season for Noro instead of late winter/

U guys are lucky here in uk its freezing everywhere u go lol

Thank you for your responses, more are welcome. Anyone know of a chart or graph with info from studies of noro & different areas?

I don't, but you shouldn't feed your fear with that business - it'll do more harm than good

...I searched for one though and nothing came up.

I'm no scientist-but my theory is that it circulates more in urban areas in general, because there are so many people crowded together sharing the same spaces. Noro goes around down here in the summer (I'm in the southeast US, where it gets up into the 90s with mega-humidity, and if you aren't indoors in AC, you are at risk of heat stroke!). However, it's easier for me to handle in the summer because it's not dark and depressing outside too!

I say go! I have never been to Phoenix but my husband lived there for a while when he was a child, and he has great memories of swimming in his backyard pool year round!

I've been living in AZ for the past 38 years and can vouch that the winters here are gorgeous. We joke a lot that where else could you wear shorts and a tank top in December to do yard work and still break a sweat! It is nice to be able to leave your windows and doors open all during the day for nice fresh air, but it still gets cold at night, like in the 50's so you do have to run the heat.
    From when my daughter was in school, I seem to recall her coming down with some type of SV either in October or mid March a couple times. Don't ever recall her ever having SV around the holidays, although we usually seem to come down with nasty colds in January and February.
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

I was going to mention going swimming in January. Plus there's lots of neat stuff to do there and you can go see the Grand Canyon which is super neat.