Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Emetophobic and bulimic ... am I alone?

To clarify, I am diagnosed (currently) with NON-PURGING bulimia (yes it's a real thing lol - my "purge" is extended periods of fasting/non-eating and excessive exercise. I do not v* my food for obvious reasons). In the past I have had anorexia as well.

Does any one else here also suffer with an eating disorder, or any other mental health diagnosis? It's hard especially because emet and eating disorders are both so focused on food in their own respective ways. What's it like for you?

Default Re: Emetophobic and bulimic ... am I alone?

This is very interesting to me. It seems that you are more anorexic than bulemic, since you don't do the act that bulemia revolves around. But I could be wrong, since I dodnt know there was a non-purging type! Well, my mom struggled with bulemia for years...She is not emet though. I hope u get some help, and learn to love your body. we are quite opposite i suppose. As i am currently gaining weight and loving it, lol. (i ve always been UNDER-weight)... Im sorry i am of no help, due to lack of specific experience.
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

Quote Originally Posted by Valen* View Post
    This is very interesting to me. It seems that you are more anorexic than bulemic, since you don't do the act that bulemia revolves around. But I could be wrong, since I dodnt know there was a non-purging type! Well, my mom struggled with bulemia for years...She is not emet though. I hope u get some help, and learn to love your body. we are quite opposite i suppose. As i am currently gaining weight and loving it, lol. (i ve always been UNDER-weight)... Im sorry i am of no help, due to lack of specific experience.
    I have been underweight to the point of anorexia, normal weight, and overweight. It's crazy! Eating disorders are their own hell aside from emetophobia so you are lucky not to have experienced it.

Love the passage in your signature, by the way

I suffered badly from non-purging bulimia/anorexia. It was more so an uncategorized eating disorder, that I'm still unfortunately struggling from. I cannot bring myself to purge, but I would binge and restrict. It falls more to anorexia, I suppose. I managed to pull myself together but this year I've found myself in good health and very uncomfortable, so I'm trying to keep fit in a good way; appropriate exercise and yoga and eating right. But it's still an inner struggle. There have been days where I so desperately wish I could purge, I won't lie; but I simply cannot.

Dealing with both of these, plus depression and more anxiety, is just a nightmare. And nobody ever believes that I've truly struggled with body image because I was never "really skinny." They didn't know me in grade 7/8. Grade 8 was "recovery." I wish people would stop assuming that just because somebody isn't stick thin, they're not suffering from an eating disorder (or just because somebody appears happy, doesn't mean they're not dying on the inside).

If you ever need to talk about anything, please do send me a message. I really hope you can overcome this. I'm really trying.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Att våga är att tappa fotfästet en stund, att inte våga är att förlora sig själv."
    "To dare is to lose your foothold for a moment, to not dare is to lose yourself."

My doctors said I was anorexic. At first they thought anorexia nervosa, but they figured out my reason of refusing to eat. It sucks cause these little disorders can cause massive mental and physical damage.

yep i have suffered twice from anorexia twice in my life so far and i am only 20

I suffered from anorexia for many years, then non purging bulimia - now I am a therapist for people in the same boat so I have come full circle. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I found spending over half of my life battling with eating disorders much easier than just this last year of emet alone...

thats really good that u are now helping people out. emet is awful isnt it. im currently doing a degree in psychology hoping to also qualify after and help people with eating disorders too

I have struggled with anorexia dropping so much weight but my fear made it more easy to restrict foods and I used it as an excuse. My vitals went down I was severely dehydrated and weighed 105 pounds. Now im pregnant and my anorexia thoughts calmed down but im 3 months along still haven't gained anything so I'm still 105 and en im tryingto eat but im so terrified to v... It's pretty sad. This phobia is hell. I want to be healthy for my baby as my doctor is getting worried and prescribed me meds thay dont even work for me just this sucks. My blood oressure is solow due to not eating as well I have to be monitered just ugh I know how you feel im so sorry.