Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Throat feels swollen? Causing major anxiety

I ate a tortilla with some cheese on it. I've done so before so there shoudn't be anything wrong.

About 12 minutes later, my throat started to "close." Not enough to restrict my breathing, but just about enough to slightly --ever so slightly-- trigger my gag reflex. It's like, I feel a real lump in my throat. I would like to say it is Acid Reflux causing this issue and the subsequent anxiety which is causing the stomach distress.

I'm fearful of taking Acid Pills (Ranitidine; Zantac) any time before before sleep because my stomach feels like chalk when I do. Oh and also, I ate like... 8 peanut M&Ms about 2 hours ago. Peanuts are known to give me acid indigestion.

Oh and another thing - I keep getting pronounced dizziness which is starting to scare me. I was playing something called Bejeweled and i noticed that I was becoming disorientated. Even now, my head is heavy and it honestly kinda hurts to... think? To look around? I don't know. My anxiety is starting to crank up and with it my pill abusing habits.

Should I take this seriously? I tried playing Violin but my stomach didn't stop like it normally did. Little, no, very anxious.

Default Re: Throat feels swollen? Causing major anxiety

I hope you're feeling better.

I've had odd throat problems like this that my doctor keeps chalking up to throat infections. I don't even bother saying about it anymore, it's not worth it with my docs. Drink plenty of water. My mum has always told me if you can breath unhampered, talk ok and swallow water and food you should be fine. It could be the acid burning your throat a little. I had that bad, it was affecting the top of my mouth, if you go to your local health food store (Holland and Barret in the UK) and ask for aloe vera mouth wash it may help - it isn't a pleasant taste I will warn you but my god it helps.

As for the dizziness, if it's a frequent thing, yeah, go get that seen to. It may be due to being tired, I get it a lot if I'm tired or quiet dehydrated. Keep your fluids up and have a nice long rest and see if that helps.

Only you can be the judge if you think it needs to be taken seriously I'm afraid, personally I'd keep an eye on both situations, maybe see if there's something that triggers it.

It could be an allergic reaction to something in the food. Instead of stomach medications, try an antihistamine and see if that helps. If it is an allergic reaction, the antihistamine will get rid of the histamine in your system and help reduce the swelling. I don't personally like benadryl, but it's usually what doctor's recommend. I think any antihistamine will work.

Swelling in the throat is a very legitmate thing to be anxious about. If it gets any worse, call the on call doctor or nurse to find out what to do. Hopefully, your breathing will improve and the swelling will go down once you take the antihistamine. I hope you feel better soon.

I've been dealing with the swollen throat thing for quite some time now... about 2 months. It always feels like it is above the middle of my throat. It clicks too. I thought it was acid, but I now realize that it actually clicks when i play with my throat. My Promethazine are anti-histamines, and the swell is still here unfortunately so I don't think it is an allergen causing this.

Aloe Vera Mouthwash? I'll give that a try! i'm not sure they sell it here, but I'm sure Amazon has it!
    I have bneen drinking allot more thanks to a few members here, but I'm sure I can always drink more. I have to stay away from sites like Webmd when it comes to my throat. I'll see Esophageal cancer and huddle ina ball and cry haha

Have you seen a doctor for it? The once I had toncilitis, I had a lot of swelling in my throat and it felt like a big lump back there. The mouthwash may help some. If it doesn't go away, call your doctor or nurse and see if you need to be seen. The good news is, I've never heard of toncilitis causing v. *hugs* Feel better soon.

I'm gonna set up an appointment tomorrow for this because it is causing a massive amount anxiety. I'm usually not visually anxious like shaking, hard catching my words and things, but now I'm finding it hard to breathe and swallow as easily as before. It's been going on for a few months, but it never caused this much discord as it did these last few days. Can tonsillitis last this long?

I think so. I went in after two weeks. I don't know how you've stood it for this long. Since I was in the military and they are cheap with medications, I got a penicillin shot in the butt and a prescription for antibiotics. The next day, I felt a lot better. I don't know if doctors outside the military give old fashioned pencillin shots anymore, because they like to charge a lot and pencillin shots are cheap. But it sure did help me. Worst case scenerio if you have tonsillitis, is they remove them in same day surgery and your stuck eating nothing but ice cream for awhile. Most likely though, it will just be antibiotics and/or a shot in the behind.

I too get a similar feeling and have found it is the anxiety. I looked it up too thinking something was really wrong with me. If you look up throat closing or a lump in the throat almost like food is stuck there are a lot of articles about that feeling and anxiety going hand in hand. I have also noticed that feeling starts alot for me before I even realize I am anxious.