Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Health Problems Related To V* and Panic

So my daughter just started school and my wife and I are separated so if she comes down with something I'm going to be the one caring for her.

It's going to happen sooner or later so I'm pretty certain that the likelihood of me catching a SV this year are pretty good.

My concern is the chance of other health risks related to V*. If/When it happens I'm going to panic like crazy but I'll get through it. Is there a chance for a heart attack, stroke, or anything like that from such intense panic?

Thanks.

Default Re: Health Problems Related To V* and Panic

Not 100% what your question is. Is it what childhood sicknesses cause v*ing or if your panic can lead to v*ing? You are going to be FINE! Don't convince yourself that you are going to panic because you may not! Practice now how to calm yourself if/when it happens. Just because your daughter is in school does NOT mean that v*ing is inevitable. Lots of kids get through the school year without catching viruses. That being said, you're right that it will most likely eventually happen, but between now & then remember that it's short lived, not life threatening and that you WILL get through unscathed. Practice makes perfect, the more you teach yourself to calm now the more likely it will be a non-issue when it happens. I have never heard of anyone having a serious reaction to panic and am 100% sure that you will get through just fine!

Quote Originally Posted by Syrup View Post
    Not 100% what your question is. Is it what childhood sicknesses cause v*ing or if your panic can lead to v*ing? You are going to be FINE! Don't convince yourself that you are going to panic because you may not! Practice now how to calm yourself if/when it happens. Just because your daughter is in school does NOT mean that v*ing is inevitable. Lots of kids get through the school year without catching viruses. That being said, you're right that it will most likely eventually happen, but between now & then remember that it's short lived, not life threatening and that you WILL get through unscathed. Practice makes perfect, the more you teach yourself to calm now the more likely it will be a non-issue when it happens. I have never heard of anyone having a serious reaction to panic and am 100% sure that you will get through just fine!
    I was just wondering if really intense panic can lead to heart issues or a stroke. V*ing itself will be a non issue but I will panic about it. I'm more worried about the panic leading to something more serious than the actual V*ing itself.

Most people no. But I am not a doc. If you are worried about your heart or anything like that, please see your doc. If you panic that bad where there is a chance of something, then maybe you need to seek treatment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

If it gets to bad, consider medication for your anxiety. It really helps. That said, I'm sure you'll do great. Also, there are many parents who have not gotten sv when their kids have had it. It's not inenivitable. Stock up on gloves and bleach just in case.

Too much of anything can be a bad thing. Yes, STRESS can do a number on your heart if you're not careful. I dont believe in medication when it comes to anxiety..So I suggest you should practice some relaxation methods... Deep breathing, meditation, PRAYING. Do what u can to keep your stress level down. You could develop high blood pressure, and other issues you dont want. I dont want to scare you, but i will be honest with you.
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

By the way, i catch the SV from my kids every year...I get every symptom besides V* (knock on wood..). So dont worry too much. Just because you might catch it, dont mean that u will definitely V* when u have it. For most ppl, they have diarrhea episodes more than actual V*, while sick!
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

Hi, I don't think you will have any of those issues. I have had many a panic attack where I can hear my heart pounding through the mattress when I am laying in bed. Hate it!! It's definitely not great for you and very exhausting, and cortisol is rushing through you which is a negative stress hormone, but if you don't have any heart issues, you should be okay. Try not to think that far ahead...Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by Valen* View Post
    By the way, i catch the SV from my kids every year...I get every symptom besides V* (knock on wood..). So dont worry too much. Just because you might catch it, dont mean that u will definitely V* when u have it. For most ppl, they have diarrhea episodes more than actual V*, while sick!
    I was actually talking to someone about this today. I haven't V* since I was like 12 years old. That's almost 20 years. There had to be times when "normal" people would have done it. Probably many times. I honestly don't think that I can even do it anymore.

I don't have panic or anxiety on a regular basis. But I will if that ever happened and that's why I was asking about it.

I do think you are right though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace47 View Post
    If it gets to bad, consider medication for your anxiety. It really helps. That said, I'm sure you'll do great. Also, there are many parents who have not gotten sv when their kids have had it. It's not inenivitable. Stock up on gloves and bleach just in case.
    I don't have a problem with anxiety when it's not related to a stomach issue. I go out, do things, eat places, and live life pretty happily. But if the bug happened to come into my house I know for a fact the anxiety would start. If it was an ongoing thing (the anxiety) I'd seek treatment but it's not. It's only when serious stomach issues are involved.

No, every doc I have seen says there is no risk of a heart attack or stroke from having a panic attack. I have passed out, gagged, and had a whole load of other nasty things happen but never anything "serious". Stress can be bad for your heart, but that's ongoing unresolved stress which is not what you are describing. Short periods aren't gonna cause serious issues, unless you already have health problems.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it