Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default People at work??

So I know a lot of colds and stuff are going around, I'm getting over one myself. That never bothered me.
    But, there's this one girl at work. She was saying on Monday how her stomach hurt, Tuesday she called off, today she's back. Everyone's been asking her if she feels better.
    I'm terrified of work in the winter, and it's only September! My mind is racing pretty much today, anxiety, stress, and my anxiety meds ran out today off all things. I can't get them until tomorrow morning. Everyone was just talking about how fast everyone gets sick when one person does. She sits around me of course. I've been trying to take precautions, but they're not really helping me relax. I've been opening door handles with tissues (clean ones of course, but idk how weird that is), using the bathrooms down the hall instead of the ones that are close, hand sanitizer of course, using my own stash of pens so no one can touch them. Just kinda ready to pull my hair out.
    I can barely handle this, so I'm dreading winter.
    Am I doomed here? Mostly everyone so lax about catching it and saying how everyone does is freaking me out.
    "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

Default Re: People at work??

You're definitely not doomed. Just be super diligent with hand washing. Most people aren't, so that's probably why they feel that "everyone" is doomed to come down with something. Working in a office, I am dreading winter too. It's amazing how many people I see come in from the outside, having touched door knobs, elevator buttons, money, etc., and eat their sandwiches or potato chips without washing their hands. Blergh.

I know right? I wish companies gave more sick days instead. Maybe someday ha.
    I guess that's why I always use tissues or gloves with anything commonly touched. Probably look weird, but I like to think it helps me.

Just because her stomach hurt does NOT mean that she had a bug. Could have been hormonal or she could have just wanted some time off! I am not scared of v*ing myself and am only scared of my kids v*ing, so I am a bit different than everyone else. I have to say, when I was in the workforce I was one of those people that didn't wash their hands before eating and honestly sometimes don't even think about it now. Here's the thing, despite all of that I don't get sick very often AT ALL. Stomach stuff especially, I RARELY catch it. You have to remember that the VAST majority of people DON'T and when they do, they don't think think much of it. As far as you are concerned, it may be best to tell yourself how many times a day it's appropriate to wash your hands. Rather than using tissues all of the time, go about your business and then wash your hands before going to your desk. Then before you eat, etc. You're going to anyway, so skip the tissues and just don't touch your face. Even if you did, you're not going to get sick! I know winter is hard because people like to talk about sickness, but remember that's because there's nothing more to focus on in the 'slower' months. Everyone loves the drama of sickness but 99% of the time they are exaggerating. You are going to be fine! Go watch a movie or call a friend, your coworker is recovered and you are safe.