Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Scared, and hating that I'm scared.

I live very close to my sister's family and I *am* very close to my little niece and nephew---I adore them and play with them constantly--lots of hugging and kissing and snuggling in bed with them, etc. It's school time again, of course, and last night while I was over at their house, my nephew mentioned that *two* of his classmates had v*ed at school and were sent home early. Needless to say, I spiraled into panic and felt the urge to leave immediately. I was terrified and became convinced I had already caught something from my nephew, especially because I play so closely with him (even if I do try to always wash my hands before eating, etc.). And tonight I was supposed to go over for dinner, something I always look forward to, but I cancelled (lied and said I was busy with something else). Now I feel miserable. I don't want to go over there because I will be scared (and I'm still scared I caught something--drank some grape juice but not sure if that helps). But I hate that fear has limited my life in this way. What if I have kids of my own someday? I don't even know if I will be capable of that--the anxiety of having them go off to school (or daycare or what have you) knowing they could pick up a bug. I love my nephew like he's my own but the fact that I don't even want to see him worries me. I wish I could change, but my fear is too great. Really I just wish there was some way I could protect myself from any sort of stomach v*, or keep myself from ever v*ing again. I know people on here understand. Would love to hear some advice and feedback. Thanks.

Default Re: Scared, and hating that I'm scared.

I am so sorry that you are feeling so anxious! I hate that for you and completely understand your feeling like you need to run and hide. Remember that the sv* is ONLY CONTAGIOUS when someone starts to show symptoms. Your niece and nephew haven't been ill, which means that there's nothing for you to catch! Have fun and play with them, worry free! If they come down with it (which is in no way a guarantee), THEN you can avoid going for a few days if you find it necessary. It sounds like you have a lot of fun there, don't let fear get in your way especially when that fear is based on a lie that you're telling yourself. You are safe.

As far as children of your own, remember that the noro-vaccine is almost through the initial stages! By the time you have children and they are in school the tummy bug will be well under control. Don't worry about the future, in a few years things are going to be totally different.

My therapist always says that the more you expose yourself to the viruses, the most resistant you become. It's scary, I know..but it kind of makes sense. Have you ever tried with anxiolytics? They really help controlling the fear.
    ((HUGS))

Thank you for the helpful words. I need it.