Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Just curious, but i'm wondering how many people on this site fear the gagging more than actually v##ing, because I think that if I could v as easy as having a pee it wouldnt bother me. I wonder then how many of us fear choking or gagging more than the end result? Have a think about it.

I fear the lack of control over my body. Fear isn't the right word. Terror.

Terror, Horror, Isolated, You know that no one can help you, Depressed cos you want it to go away. You get over it but youare always waiting for the next attack! Yes I know. But at least we do get over it and then the rest is just worry. It does drag our lives down and we get angry over it as we think we are not doing the potential we are capable of. Remember this though, we DO have good days and they will become more frequent as we get used to the terror,then it doesn't scare us as much for a while. We will survive it as we have already.

I agree with lewisr, the loss of control is what scares me. The fact that you might not have any warning what so ever, its the scariest feeling.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

I think as well that its terrifying if you think it wont stop and feel you will be like that forever? That's what i'm scared of anyway.

Suzy,

Fear of gagging/choking is a well-documented phobia in the DSM-IV (you're not alone - or crazy). Refer to my information paper here: http://www.emetophobia.org/forum/for...sp?TID=1925&am p;PN=1 It's on the Treatments thread at the top.

The idea that you will "never stop" if you start is an anxious cognition that you can challenge in your mind, and this will help. Think about it - has this ever happened to anyone? Has anyone ever died from vomiting (aside from those who are very very drunk or very very ill and half passed-out, unable to get offtheir backs?) No! Vomiting is a natural body function, and humans do it quite easily. Try to stop the illogical thoughts from coming up and taking you over with anxiety. Just say "stop it" to yourself. (This takes a bit of practice, but it helps a lot in the end.)

Good luck with your treatment!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

You could die from vomiting if you do it too much and get dehydrated...but then again it wouldn't be the vomiting that killed you it would be the dehydration. I fear all of it...the gagging and the retching...and the complete loss of control that it brings.

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Thanks Sage, Yeh I know that my logical thoughts eventually take control and with lots of practice I will be back to the way I was, living with my phobia and not having it dominate me. I get like this every few years but then it goes on the back burner and im fine. It's great that I found this site.

Personally, with me, its more the feeling sick beforehand that I fear. Because I know that if I start feeling sick, then that means thatv*must be justaround the corner, and its the waiting for it to comethat I'm terrified of. The knowing that its going to happen, and that there might be nothing you can do to avoid it...thats whatmakes me scared.Its definitely the loss of control too, though.

I've rather forgotten what it feels like to v*, seeing as its been a good 10 years since I've done it, so yeah,its morethe lead-up to it that I fear, where you might feel god-awful for hours and hours on end until it actually happens. I don't know if that makes any sense or not! lol!

Quote Originally Posted by angel13

Personally, with me, its more the feeling sick beforehand that I fear. Because I know that if I start feeling sick, then that means thatv*must be justaround the corner, and its the waiting for it to comethat I'm terrified of. The knowing that its going to happen, and that there might be nothing you can do to avoid it...thats whatmakes me scared.Its definitely the loss of control too, though.

This is what I hate too...the beforehand feeling! You described it wonderfully![img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Yes, I'm more afraid of the nausea, because when you are nauseous, there is no way to actually tell if you are going to v*....I especially hate the nausea RIGHT before the v*ing..

Quote Originally Posted by angel13

I've rather forgotten what it feels like to v*, seeing as its been a good 10 years since I've done it, so yeah,its morethe lead-up to it that I fear, where you might feel god-awful for hours and hours on end until it actually happens. I don't know if that makes any sense or not! lol!
    Your're right, I forgot about the pre bit, great we can discuss and search our heads to find out what really scares us isn't it then we know how to handle it better.