Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default Aroma therapy? (for nausea and anxiety)

I'm sitting here with a stomach ache and I suspect the same illness that struck my mother and father yesterday. I was rummaging through my cabinet to find my last Ondansetron (I think they work better than Promethazine), and I accidentally sprayed some CHANEL directly at my face. I laughed at myself for a second before giving up and taking Phenergan.

The smell however isn't making me nauseated, but it is calming me down. I lightly rinsed my face so the scent isn't deathly, but it is very lightly there and I really think it has calming properties - the smell at least. Nausea is still here, but I'm not as panicky about it.

Has anybody had any similar experiences or know anything about aroma therapy for anxiety or nausea?

Default Re: Aroma therapy? (for nausea and anxiety)

Actually I have used lavender , jasmine, peppermint and citronella essential oils to calm me and also when food smells bother me. Not a bad idea!

Oh really? Did you have much success?
    Last edited by SoVerySorry; 09-30-2013 at 03:51 AM. Reason: Caps Lock accident

It helps to calm me and it really helps to take away the food smells that bother me at times. I just put a drop on my wrist and I'm good to go. If you use peppermint be careful because it kind of burns on the skin but in weird and I like that ha!

My Mom ordered this one jar of scent online, it's kind of citrus scented I believe it's called Neroli oil(but I may be off) and it's for anxiety. just smelling the outside of the bottle is calming. I have heard Lavender is very good as well.
    Last edited by staystrongxx; 09-30-2013 at 04:25 PM. Reason: typo
    M I D N I G H T

I don't know about holistic aromas, but the isopropyl alcohol 'rumour' I heard is absolutely true. Those little sachets of 70% IPA alcohol wipes that doctors use to wipe on your arm before they give you a jab - they're allegedly used in post-operative patients to calm nausea.

I think it's more to do with regulating your breathing while you smell them and it calms the anxiety, but I've not had a 'fail' with these so far for anxiety nausea especially.