Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Would it be beneficial to revisit the cause of my phobia?

As far as I can figure out, my phobia started when I saw a picture in a newspaper when I was about 4 (I won't go in to detail to spare everyone the graphic nature of it). In your own opinion, do you think it would be beneficial to google search the article? It's a very specific image, so I think that I would be able to find it relatively easily.

Do you think that this could help? Or would it just set me back?

I've been making progress recently, and I don't really want to jeopardize all that I've accomplished, but something in the back of my mind is telling me that I should look at it... Thoughts?

Default Re: Would it be beneficial to revisit the cause of my phobia?

I think u should give it a shot! As long as u feel you are ready, it could help
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

I have mixed feelings on this. It's the ANXIETY that's our problem, not the v*. Though we believe that there was something that 'triggered' our phobias, the anxiety was there long before our fear was. That being said, the more we are exposed to something and can calm ourselves the sooner we'll feel better. Go ahead and look up the picture if you'd like. At the same time play some relaxing music and do deep breathing. Look at it long enough until you feel relaxed while looking. Just remind yourself that the picture never had any 'hold' on you, your anxiety did.

Was it the photo of President George H. W. Bush getting ill at a dinner party in Japan? I will never forget that image and found it very upsetting.

There's no way to know how it will affect you unless you do it. What you found distressing to look at age 4, may not be quite so disturbing now, or you may find it makes you feel just as panicky as it did back then. Do you find you feel calmer than you have done in the past when thinking about the image? If so then maybe looking at it again this far down the line won't be as much of a big deal. If it was me, I'd try it but then I just can't help myself with stuff like that, I'm a glutton for punishment

What I would say though is be realistic and at least prepare yourself for a potential set-back, accept that it is a possibility, but that it's a risk you're willing to take in order to try and challenge your phobia.

I watched that on the news. I think he was sick almost completely in the poor guy's lap. I felt so sorry for the poor guy who got v*ed on. I was concerned the Japanese would be offended, but it blew over okay.

I just rewatched the actual footage and he just bends over and falls on the floor. Hope that's not too graphic a description. However, I think the fear will be greatly reduced, if you watch it on mute first. It's very blurry and not really clear at all what is happening. It may have been scary to you that such an important and powerful person could get sick like everyone else. I remember feeling a little panicked when I heard Jimmy Carter v*ed on a plane from sv even though I was not on the plane with him or anywhere near him.
    Last edited by Grace47; 10-01-2013 at 03:59 PM.

The strangest thing I find about the video was how he was obviously SO ILL, falling over, white as a sheet, etc. and then moments later pops up with a smile as if nothing happened. Those it's not fun to watch, it is good to see that he was only in bad shape for a mater of short moments and then was ok. I'm sure he wasn't completely cured, but obviously feeling much more human!

Hahaha no, no it wasn't the image of George Bush - I don't even recall that happening to be honest (could be due to the fact that I live in Australia?)..
    No, it was a photo of someone V*ing up worms... sorry - graphic..

I think that I shall try and look for the article. I just had dinner though, so perhaps on an emptier stomach :P

I think it's up to how confident you feel about it. If you feel strong enough to do it, then that's because you are. I personally believe I couldn't do it because I'm way too scaredy; even the thought of googling a v* pic sends chills down my spine, lol.
    But if you can picture yourself doing it and not being scared, then I guess you're ready!
    Good luck

Bridget, I think that would be very good for you to find that photo. But I saved you the trouble! HERE is the photo of someone vomiting up worms. Do you dare click on the link? http://bbsimg.ngfiles.com/1/23681000...184ca7c9a3.jpg
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Very gross indeed, Doug

Man, I must be better off than I thought, I found Doug's photo quite pleasant!

To the original poster: I would try it! You're lucky enough to be able to pinpoint where your fear came from. I wish I had that.

Hahaha love the picture - definitely not what I was expecting!