Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Feeling lousy after sv :(

**May be slightly triggering**

Hey everyone, I came down with gastroenteritis on Monday with v and d. I went to the hospital and was given Zofran (10 pills). I felt like death was creeping up on me with no appetite accompanied by general malaise and an excruciating headache up until late Wednesday night. I didn't eat much the few days following the illness. I consumed mostly popsicles and soup until I felt like my stomach could handle heavier food items. On Wednesday evening, I resumed to my normal diet. On Thursday, I was feeling almost like my old self again and felt up to venturing out of the house to go horseback riding and then last night (Friday) I start feeling very unwell again. I took a Zofran and I'm unfortunately down to my last one It's now 7:20am Saturday and I still have general malaise, a bit of nausea and irregular/soft/discolored bowel movements. I haven't been able to fall asleep because I am terrified I will wake up ill again so I'm just chilling with my kitties on the couch watching movies. I feel like this illness is causing me to relapse and my anxiety is starting to skyrocket at the slightest twinge in my stomach. I went through almost my entire prescription for Zofran in less than 3 days to combat the nausea and it still is not going away. It had been almost 7 years since I had a similar virus and I don't really remember it taking this much of a toll on me. For those that have come down with a virus recently, how long did the aftermath last? I think maybe I started eating regular meals too soon. Maybe I should slow down a bit and go back to eating light until I fully recuperate? Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Much appreciated Thanks guys!
    Last edited by DeadxxInside92; 10-05-2013 at 06:24 AM.
    I wanna feel the change consume me,
    Feel the outside turning in.
    I wanna feel the metamorphosis and
    Cleansing I've endured within
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Default Re: Feeling lousy after sv :(

I think you might have returned to "normal life" a little too soon. Viruses normally take a week or more to go away, so you're right, maybe you should slow down for a while until you make sure you're gonna be ok.
    Hope you feel better soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit me at
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I was unaware that you had to take it easy for a period of time after a virus. Is that really true? Can you relapse? I know your appetite can take a hit but I thought that's as far as it went. Any time I had a stomach virus as a child I was usually back to my routine the next day or day after.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

While the symptoms can last only a day or two that doesn't mean the virus is gone. You can go back to normal as long as you're still taking care of yourself (like eating healthy, drinking a lot of fluids and get proper rest).
    Don't worry, you won't relapse. I didn't mean to scare you! Just take care and you're gonna be fine

Visit me at

The horseback riding may have been a bit of a stretch, but I'm sure with some rest, you'll be fine tomorrow. *hugs*

Quote Originally Posted by jptk View Post
    I was unaware that you had to take it easy for a period of time after a virus. Is that really true? Can you relapse? I know your appetite can take a hit but I thought that's as far as it went. Any time I had a stomach virus as a child I was usually back to my routine the next day or day after.
    You do have to take it easy for a few days following sickness, at least in regards to what you eat and strenuous activities. It does not mean you will v or anything but you have to take care of yourself so your body can recuperate. I like to push my limits a little too much at times which is why I started feeling ill again.
    My shadow

Disclaimer: **I try and answer posts to the best of my knowledge but unfortunately, I am not a medical professional so take my advice/recommendations with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matilde Mar View Post
    I think you might have returned to "normal life" a little too soon. Viruses normally take a week or more to go away, so you're right, maybe you should slow down for a while until you make sure you're gonna be ok.
    Hope you feel better soon!
    I think so too! I am still having trouble with loose stool, fatigue and general malaise feeling, but slowly but surely feeling better. Today I made some whole wheat noodles with plain grilled chicken breast/no sauce and a side of applesauce. A little bit of GI discomfort after I was finished eating, but feeling a little better now. Had some saltines a little bit ago. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Grace47 View Post
    The horseback riding may have been a bit of a stretch, but I'm sure with some rest, you'll be fine tomorrow. *hugs*
    It's hard to keep me out of the saddle! haha thanks Grace
    My shadow

Quote Originally Posted by DeadxxInside92 View Post
    You do have to take it easy for a few days following sickness, at least in regards to what you eat and strenuous activities. It does not mean you will v or anything but you have to take care of yourself so your body can recuperate. I like to push my limits a little too much at times which is why I started feeling ill again.
    Will keep that in mind.

Hope you're feeling better now.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

As the old tune goes, hopefully you'll be "back in the saddle again" very soon. I'm sorry you were sick and are having lingering problems.