Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I feel like I'm doomed...

I went to a 'family reunion' at my grandparents' house yesterday, and was brave enough to eat some of the food that my aunt made. After eating the food, I was told that someone my mum hugged (my cousin) 'caught something that was making her feel unwell'. My automatic assumption: sv. I of coarse, spiraled into panic, and was trapped in the same house as her for four long hours, and the drive home lasted one and a half hours. I was making so much progress with my anxiety...

It seems like everytime I improve on this phobia, another setback appears, like this. I know that's just superstition, but I can't help but notice it.

Can you get an sv from hugging someone who was sick? That's currently my main concern.

Wishing everyone well.

Default Re: I feel like I'm doomed...

First of all, well done for going out of your comfort zone and eating some of the food that your aunt made! That is a big thing in itself!

Secondly, you don't know that your cousin has/had an sv*. "Feeling unwell" is just a general term and could cover all manner of things. She might just have a cold or other similar virus. I know all too well that our emet brains always jump to the sv* assumption though.

Thirdly, you cannot catch an sv* from hugging someone that is sick. You can only catch them from ingesting infected v* or d* particles OR airborne if you are directly next to someone when thet are actively being ill, like holding their hair back kind of close. The chances of your cousin having any v* or d* particles on her clothes are very slim anyway, but for your mum to then pick them up off of there are even slimmer.

Don't worry hun, you will be fine.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and its better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring" - Marilyn Monroe

I agree, your cousin could have had a sore throat, a headache or a stomach ache caused by something else. Even if she DID have a sv* and was coming down with symptoms at the gathering if she didn't v* of have d* there then there was no way for you to catch it. You are going to be fine. Way to go eating the food there, keep it up!

Screen name Lucky Number, thread doomed. ??? Do you eat lucky charms for breakfast? hahaha

The only time you chances are high is when someone v... on top of you. Relax, Enjoy having family around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Good job for spending time with your family and eating your aunt's food. Your cousin could have a headache or just about anything. One of the "good" things about sv is before the person is sick, they are not contagious. So even if she did have sv, you're still in the clear.

Thanks to everyone who has replied. Feeling much more relaxed about it.

You have to ingest the virus...It isn't airborne and even if your cousin was coming down with SV you are going to be fine if you hugged her. It is far easier to catch a cold than SV promise