Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Raw Burger

We had a BBQ at work today and I had a cheeseburger. I bit into it and noticed that it was not cooked all the way through. I only ate that one bite, but now I am scared it is going to make me sick. My am actually n* right now but I'm not sure if it from the burger or from worrying about the burger. Do you think I will get sick?

You should be fine. Most food poison that is caused by raw hamburger is ecoli. It could take as long as 2 weeks before you start to show symptoms, probaly shouldn't have said that. However you got the outside edge of the burger so that should have been done. One more thing Id like to mention is sometimes when you cook meat on the grill it will keep a pinkish look. thats why its always good to check to see if it is done with a meat thermometer.

These were those pre-made burgers that are already formed when you get them from the store. They are pretty thin so I would have thought they would cook through easily. Ugh. I still feel yucky.

thats happened to me with a pre made burger. i got asll worked up cuz it was RED inside. i was fine... youll be fine
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Yeah up until recently I had been eating my Burgers Med-Rare and that means there's a little pink inside. I don't know HOW pink your burger was but since you only got the outer edge I'm sure you will be fine!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Ihave eatenrare burgers since I was a kid...I'm still alive and still an emet! I've never had any food poisoning from burgers and I sure have eaten a few questionable ones from questionable places. You'll be fine!!!!!!

You can actually eat hamburger raw, my mom used to do it all the time when she was younger. Plus, most people eat their burgers pink, us emets usually have to burn the hell out of it. You'll be fine, I promise. Plus one bite is not enough, especially since it was the edge. Don't worry you'll be fine.

Whenever I go to any friends house the burgers are always pink...most people just like it that way. Trust me, you will be fine.

<3 Anya--
    PM me for contact info such as skype, email, or facebook. Thanks!

sorry to say this guys,but you CANNOT eat raw burger. with some meat, ( Ie, steak) you only have to cook the surface because all the bacteria is on the outside. But with a burger, the meat is ground in such a way so that the bacteria is all over the meat. therefore you must cook it through to kill all the bacteria. My boyfriend is far from being emet, and will eat things I wouldn't dare, but he wonteat pink burger meat, and thats why.

eating one bite probably won't hurt you. You should be fine.not enough bacteria to do much.but never, ever eat a whole uncooked ( pink) burger.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Eating hamburger that isn't fully cooked is like playing Russian Roulette. If there is no e-coli bacteria in the meat, then it doesn't matter if it's cooked through. But if the bacteria IS present (and in the USA, the slaughterhouses are notoriously nasty) then you must cook the meat fully.

Those of you who never got sick on raw or undercooked meat in the past were just plain lucky.

Americans seem to be notorious for undercooking their beef - oblivious to the dangers. Our health standards in Canada forbid any restaurant or food server from undercooking hamburger.

Having said all that, I hope you don't worry too much, Sillygirl. For one thing, adults can tolerate e-coli bacteria pretty well. And vomiting isn't necessarily a symptom - MUCH more likely it will be diarrhea (and for an emet...guaranteed that it will). It won't take 2 weeks for symptoms to show up either...it will only be 2 or 3 days.

From now on, cut your burger in half before biting into it, so you can check the middle. In Canada lots of restaurants serve them already sliced!
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you ate more than one bite and say ate half the burger I would be worried but you took one bite you will be fine.

It can take up to 2 weeks for the symptoms to show, but can show in as little as 2 hours.

I totally agree with Babydoll and Sage on this...yes "ground" beef is something that should always be cooked thru and thru. BUT i do feel your "N" is definitely from worrying over it. I am notorious for throwing myself into a state of "N" over food i felt was unsafe "after" i have eaten it..only to be completely fine in the end.

MAN the things we can do to ourselves sometimes!!! lol It's amazing how our thoughts can produce physical symptoms!
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7