Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Road trip... Very anxious

First of all, I have no problems with road trips. I actually find them quite relaxing (I'm half Irish Gypsy lol) I'm 18, and all but one road trip I've been on has been with my mom. We're extremely close, and since my dad passed away I've been sleeping with her because I have such bad anxiety about being alone. My 2 best friends have invited me on a road trip for a birthday to the California coast about 5 or 6 hours away. We'd be leaving at 2 or 3 in the morning Tuesday, then coming back early Thursday. I want to go soooo bad! But I am so scared! Partly because of the emetophobia, worrying if one of them will get s* and partly because my mom wouldn't be going. I'm extremely careful about washing my hands so I'm not worried about catching anything. Just everything else is worrying me. I know if I don't go, I'll regret it. I've wanted to go on a trip with friends ever since I can remember, but now that it's here I'm freaking out. My one friends son who's 3 will be going which actually makes me feel better because we won't be able to do anything crazy or stay anywhere too long lol. Every time I try to think about going my stomach gets butterflies. Maybe I'm just confusing excitement for anxiety? If anyone has any words of advice it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Default Re: Road trip... Very anxious

I think you said it yourself: "I know if I don't go, I'll regret it." The way that I've attempted to live my life (and make decisions, because I am TERRIBLE at it and I'm scared of everything) is asking myself if I'll regret it if I don't do it. If I say yes, then I know that if I do do it, I won't regret it, even if it turns out weird/different/worse than I thought. The idea that sometimes things aren't perfect but that YOU made the choice to do it regardless is extremely liberating and empowering for me. I understand the fear of being separated from your mom as I share the same fear (and have extreme panic attacks whenever I go somewhere overnight without her). I also slept in the same bed with her for a lot of my life, even into a bit of high school. It's only in the last 4 years maybe that I've begun to be able to deal with being a bit more independent (although I still live with her so...:P)

Anyway, I think you should do it. I think you should start thinking about all the amazing things you'll get to do if you go, and how much fun it could be, and maybe think about how being separated from your mom will feel so you're not in shock by it. Even if you need to count down the hours until you see her again. Just try to relax and laugh though.

Default Re: Road trip... Very anxious

It's so nice to have someone who understands about my mom! I'm putting things together to take to calm me down, gum, books, candy crush lol, I smoke because it gives me an excuse to "Get out". My one friend knows about my emet so it makes it easier. Your post actually made me more excited to go! Thank you so much! I love taking pictures so it'll be a great opportunity to take pictures of the beach and boardwalks. My mom said if she has to she can come pick me up, but I have a feeling as soon as I actually get in the car and leave I'll be fine Thank you! *HUGS*