Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Going to South Africa on Wednesday!

I'm going to South Africa on my own on Wednesday for 2 weeks to volunteer! i'm absolutely terrified!
    Firstly, I'm scared of flying and I have a total of 25 hours journey each way (approx 15 hours in air and 10 hours for stopover and changes). I'm scared to get sick from the plane, all the germs in the same air etc, but also the food issue is a big deal for me.
    I just have this belief that I am not going to get through my trip without a tummy bug.

I am staying with some other volunteers in a shared house in Knysna, which is on the south coast/ Western Cape (my geography is appalling!) We are given a food allowance where we buy and make our own food which helps ease my worry a little as then I can avoid eating out and choose what I eat. I am a fussy eater anyway and get nervous eating meat at home (UK) so I think I will avoid meat. Obviously, I will also drink only bottled water and I don't eat fish/shellfish/mussels or anything like that and I would presume those to be the biggest causes? I will also be wary of fruit, I've been told only to eat it if you can peel it yourself etc. I will be taking Motilium with me and anti-d tablets just in case.

Can anyone who has visited or lived in SA, or done anything similar to what I am doing help me out or reassure me? And also re the flight worries too? This is a fantastic opportunity but I don't want to let my phobia and anxiety ruin it. I know it is only for 2 weeks but this is a big deal for me!

Any help would be really appreciated! Thank you xx

Default Re: Going to South Africa on Wednesday!

First of all, congrats on the opportunity! Amazing!! I don't have much advice about the food thing (other than you said, bottled water), take some motion sickness pills before getting on the plane. Defiantly keep your hands away from your mouth and wash your hands often! I'm not sure if airborne works for sv* but maybe try that? I'm with you, I get VERY anxious when I travel, even just a couple states away. I'll be praying for you!

Wow, you're going to have such an amazing time! Try not to let stupid emetophobia put a damper on things. I travelled South East Asia for months on more than one occasion and the worst I got was travellers diarrhoea. I've also been on more planes than I can remember (countless long distance flights), just keep your hand hygiene up and take some anti-viral hand sanitiser if it makes you feel better. Sensible precautions is all you need, as you've said above, bottled water, steering clear of shellfish etc - nothing you don't already know. Enjoy!

I think, but I am not certain, that South Africa is a first world country. There should be plenty of sources for clean food. Just make sure your food is thoroughly cooked and you should be fine. What an opportunity! From what I have seen on documentaries, SA is a beautiful country full of exotic ( at least to us) animals.

Thank you for your replies everyone! I know it is going to be such a fantastic opportunity and I just really hope my emet or any illness gets in the way. I think my plane fears particularly about sickness come from those freak stories (I hope) where you hear of a whole plane full of people getting v and d, and that just absolutely terrifies. This is my first long haul flight and I am doing it all on my own, which is even more daunting. I just hope I'm sat next to someone nice and clean!
    So, regarding hand hygiene for the plane and for my time in South Africa, it would just be avoiding touching mouth and face, and washing hands thoroughly before eating food? And obviously making sure food is piping hot. What about plane food? Is that ok to eat? I am flying with Egyptair and South African airways and I have requested the vegetarian option on all flights just in case.

Sorry for all the questions, I just need to try and calm myself down as much as possible before the big day. is there anything else I should be wary of necessary items I should take with me, other than the obvious "just in case" medicines? This can be non-emet related too, as I'm a bit of a worrier in general so am bound to have forgotten something!

Thank you!

The trip sounds amazing and you sound very prepared for it - your tick list of emet survival things is pretty much spot on I'd say. I've not been to SA and know little about it but I wouldn't place it on my list of "higher risk" countries in terms of sanitation etc.

I've had plenty of plane food without problems - they usually heat it incredibly hot so it's cooked through and even most of the cold stuff I've had is pre-packaged so you'll be the first to touch it. I usually skip meals on long haul flights just because the digestive system slows down at 30,000 feet and if I eat too much I get bloated, but sometimes I get so bored I much my way through chocolate! You'll be fine though - I did my first long haul flight on my own to the USA and it was a breeze in the end, even after having the same worries you're having.

You'll be fine I'm sure - focus on having fun and enjoying the experience and if you're distracted and busy enough with that - and the people you're meeting - then you'll start to get about emet worries. If you adhere to the usual (hand washing, avoiding shellfish, salads, cold meats etc) then I'm confident you'll be fine. If in doubt, trust your "gut instinct". Better to go a bit hungry and wait until the next meal if you're unsure. Try having lots of probiotics before you go. I think travelling abroad, in certain countries, is improving all the time. When I'm travelling around Europe (especially EU member states these days) I find that sanitation, hygiene, food prep etc is better than it was 15/20 years ago. SA is probably the same. Have fun!